Photoperiod McDee's Malawi Madness

FWIW > with a 50 day veg I find my sativa's stretch about two feet.

To contain them, I install three bamboo stakes and a 20" diameter wire hoop at ~28" high.

When the plants grow past that I tie them down to the hoop and continue to train the tops to grow horizontally.

This is a Double Chocolate. Pretty sure I managed to maintain a canopy height of ~40".

View attachment 1548812

Cheers
OK, thanks still trying to figure these sativas out. My Durban Poison was fine so fingers crossed.

Hey everybody, I'm back with some news thanks for stopping by. I like to take a second, and thank Cannabis for being so great!
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

With that said its time to get lifted. I'm dabbing on some of the last of my Lemon AK from Fast Buds. Very tasty 1 of the few that I have done with taste, and smell. Most of the time zero taste, and not much smell. A nice sativa for the day. Well... I gave them 3/4 of a gallon each ph'd r/o water last night right around 5.75. When I checked the runoff 1 was 5.4, and the other was 5.15. WOW was I surprised to see that. I was putting in 6.00 not sure why it's so low. So don't think it's the light which is a good thing, this is fixable. I gave them plain water because they were looking a little dark green, and were clawing down. Malawi doesn't want as much nitrogen so trying to keep nitrogen lower. I had planned to give them nutrients next feed. My question is I need to raise the pH should I go another round of plain water ph'd, or normal feeding with a higher ph? Let me hear your thoughts. I haven't really done this before so not sure if it even matters. Maybe I'll be able to turn my light up more then lol. Hockey game is coming on so time for a dab. Till next time...

Stay lifted

:baked:

Are you using any silica? It's not a bad addition and it helps bring up the pH on your nute mix. The Jacks tends to run quite low on it's own. I find the silica is easier and longer lasting than pH up/down. Except you have to add it first and figure out how much to use. Bit tricky but incremental testing and you can nail it everytime. I add mine by ppm for consistent accuracy and reproduceability.

Are you using any silica? It's not a bad addition and it helps bring up the pH on your nute mix. The Jacks tends to run quite low on it's own. I find the silica is easier and longer lasting than pH up/down. Except you have to add it first and figure out how much to use. Bit tricky but incremental testing and you can nail it everytime. I add mine by ppm for consistent accuracy and reproduceability.
Yep, I got it from a few makers. I have some from Raw, Advanced Nutrients, and Perscrition Blend. I have been using Raw, it's powder I use 1/8 tsp. I was planning on adding it at flower. That is when I had always used except Perscrition Blend. I haven’t noticed it raising the pH before, although it did make it extremely stable. I used it with MC, and it hit 6 on the nose without pH+/-. I know a lot use from the beginning, but I'm stuck starting at flower. It's just the way I've done in the past, but I was doing that mostly just to save on silica lol. I actually just mixed up 2 gallons so I can't add this time, but I think I will start with it next feeding. What I do is after everyone is in bed I come down to dab, and garden. I do my silica, and let it sit overnight. Next morning between 8am-10am I start adding the others with at least 15 mins inbetween each. I do forget so sometimes it's more time between them lol. It will be done by 2pm, and they get it either that night or by end of next day. I was thinking of using it from the beginning, but I'm cheap well my budget is low so with such a long grow was trying to save on silica. Probably should have used from the beginning... guess you're right hahaha. Stay lifted bud!

Your plants always look good. Your methods must be solid.
Thanks bud, but honestly my last 3-4 grows have been bad. They were when I switched to Megacrop. I struggled to figure out the correct dosage. I hear it's not formulated the best, 2 of them are well respected on here so I trust their judgment. That is what had me looking for a new brand. I had heard a good bit about Jacks so I checked it out, and here we are... well I'm here, and you're there lol. MC, and Jacks are close with a few subtle differences. I think I'm better equipped to use MC after learn about Jacks. I bet MC would do better with photos vs. autos. You need to use the hydrobuilder calculator to figure out correct measurements. That was the pic I posted before, problem is it doesn't work on my phone. Fields that are on the PC version aren't there on the mobile so haven't done it yet. I have to get out my laptop to do just a pain phone would be better. My best grows were with Advanced Nutrients. I averaged 4-6 oz's on autos that were just covered in trichs. Thing is AN is $$$, and so many products to add. They do work well tho no worries using them. I also love Perscrition Blend, but they're to much money too. Excellent product, but $80 for about 100 gallons is to much. I like Jacks so far, but I had most of my issues in flower so still holding judgment. I need to get them topped soon wasting time, but pH needs corrected 1st.

Stay lifted

Question about this

Are you worried about root binding in 3 gal pots? Or are you keeping these photos small?
They will be topped shortly. My tent is only 5' so can't let any get big lol. They are Rain Science bags so not a concern. I haven't had any issues yet with them, but never grown a sativa like this so fingers crossed. I did the 2 3gal instead of 1 7, or 10gal so they could be smaller and still fill my scrog fast as possible.

Stay lifted

They will be topped shortly. My tent is only 5' so can't let any get big lol. They are Rain Science bags so not a concern. I haven't had any issues yet with them, but never grown a sativa like this so fingers crossed. I did the 2 3gal instead of 1 7, or 10gal so they could be smaller and still fill my scrog fast as possible.

Stay lifted
Ok I was just wondering bevause I vegged mine for 40 days and all of them have roots going through the bottom on my 5 gal rs bags. I was thinking about trying out smaller pots.

@McDee

FYI > with Mega Crop one part and ProMix HP I start watering with it right from the start in the solo cup, 1/2 of the recommended amount on the schedule on the Green Leaf site.

I kind of followed the age chart amounts fed And watch the color of the leaves. When I notice slight yellowing on the bottom leaves I up the feed by .5g/4L.

Through the grow I was roughly at their recommended amounts but two weeks before harvest I was at 7.5g/4L...

Well water and MH/HPS so no additional cal mag..

I did not notice any significant differences between the plants fed with General Hydroponics MaxiGro/Bloom and the ones fed Mega Crop, either in amounts fed or performance.

Cheers

Back