Photoperiod McDee's Malawi Madness

I don't. But as I recall, it was in a 3 gallon pot and I got a couple of ounces. It was one of the first 9-10 grows I ever did. I have grown several sativas so far, and haven't had trouble keeping any of them short. 2x2x5 is big enough for any sativa, so long as you train a lot in veg. I like stretchy plants - the stretchier the better.! :muahaha:

I missed your other question. I remember it was supposed to take a long time but back then I didn't keep those kinds of records. It took longer than normal, but I don't remember it taking too awfully long - sorry I can't be more specific.

Besides MG I've also grown Kumaoni and I know a couple others. The stretchiest plant I've grown is a hybrid - Chick Magnet. Interestingly, Dragon Tiger V3 hardly stretched at all in flower, doing most of its insane stretch in veg.
Getting use to photos still so stretch is always my concern. I don't get it tho... I have done Durban Poison, and now Malawi photos neither grew like people said. Both were suggested 2 weeks veg because of how fast they grow. Not mine, actually the opposite was true. Now this is where I'm a little unsure. I have for the most part heard that you veg your photo to half the size you want the final size to be. This is due to its going to 2x-3x in size, but is this still true if you top your plant? They also say to stop vertical growth top it. How can it 2x-3x in size if it's topped if topping stops vertical growth? All the photos I've done were topped, and that's a total of 5 counting these over 3 grows. So not enough to be sure yet, I need to do a photo that isn't topped to start to see the difference. It's just strange that both these fast vegging strains were so slow, makes me think it was me.

Getting use to photos still so stretch is always my concern. I don't get it tho... I have done Durban Poison, and now Malawi photos neither grew like people said. Both were suggested 2 weeks veg because of how fast they grow. Not mine, actually the opposite was true. Now this is where I'm a little unsure. I have for the most part heard that you veg your photo to half the size you want the final size to be. This is due to its going to 2x-3x in size, but is this still true if you top your plant? They also say to stop vertical growth top it. How can it 2x-3x in size if it's topped if topping stops vertical growth? All the photos I've done were topped, and that's a total of 5 counting these over 3 grows. So not enough to be sure yet, I need to do a photo that isn't topped to start to see the difference. It's just strange that both these fast vegging strains were so slow, makes me think it was me.
Good point! I think of it like it only has so much vertical growth. Each cola you add takes away from that. I know that's not truly accurate, but for a compulsive plant trainer like me it explains why I never had a height problem.

Good point! I think of it like it only has so much vertical growth. Each cola you add takes away from that. I know that's not truly accurate, but for a compulsive plant trainer like me it explains why I never had a height problem.
I know what you mean. I love training, I actually do better at lst with soft ties. Height isn't normally a issue. If I was doing indica I would have less worry. Part of the issue is I don't have an environment that's optimal for equatorial sativas in my tent. Definitely not in the winter lol. I'm thinking if it were hotter, and I put my humidifier on they would have done much better. I didn't feel safe adding that. A lot already running better safe than sorry. Temps are what they are already have a heat source going just not enough. So that's gonna be something to work on. Once rec is legalized I think I'm gonna have a electrician come in wire me up safely so I can do what I need without the worry of overloading an extension cord. Also I do believe next grow either auto or photo will be organic. Next photo will be for sure, but I need an auto 1st which is now looking like it will be organic too... probably lol. Simpler should take more of me out of the equation, less I have to screw up hahaha. Hopefully I have some good growth to train.

Last edited:
:smoking: Yo Dee!
They are moving along pretty fast indeed, you may have faster pheno's going... Some of these Sati's can be pretty bitchy with nutes, hence the early fade and margin burning...
What sort of run off are you generating? Are you testing it for ppm load and pH? It may be that you have some build-up going on, causing an antagonistic uptake issue and/or a pH drift...

You should be getting a good idea of aroma by now, what's you nose say? Wodds/oil/spice dank, or sweeter carrot/orange? Plenty of resin to rub a sniff of!
What week are you at in bloom now? The buds are forming nicely :d5:

:smoking: Yo Dee!
They are moving along pretty fast indeed, you may have faster pheno's going... Some of these Sati's can be pretty bitchy with nutes, hence the early fade and margin burning...
What sort of run off are you generating? Are you testing it for ppm load and pH? It may be that you have some build-up going on, causing an antagonistic uptake issue and/or a pH drift...

You should be getting a good idea of aroma by now, what's you nose say? Wodds/oil/spice dank, or sweeter carrot/orange? Plenty of resin to rub a sniff of!
What week are you at in bloom now? The buds are forming nicely :d5:
I haven't test the runoff in a little bit. I stop watering once I see runoff so not more than my saucer can handle. I will check it next for pH next time. I don't have batteries for my ppm meter currently ordered wrong 1s lol. When touching finger have a sweet smell very pleasant. No carrot, or orange just a sugary sweet candy like smell. Seems to have a nice presence of trichs already. Today was day 30 of flower. I'm tripping a little bit here :dizzy:I have been saying that they look VERY developed already for their age... (insert joke here lol)out of nowhere they popped up. I was expecting slow forming buds, these look like I could snap off a top and sample.:smokeit:I can't wait to try this sooooo much. If these fatten up for another 60 days WOW! My guess is they won't get as fat because there is a ton of bud coming up. I hope they do lol. We chugging along keeping my head down getting through the next month, and then it's all down hill.

Last edited:
Flower
Welcome back got some pics to share, but first it's about that time! It's time to get lifted so please join me if you're able. Dabbing on some old ass Orange Sherbert. It does the job, but not best tasting rosin lol. Today is day 38 of flower, and we just moving along. I was looking up some info and saw on Ace's website it says flower 10-13 weeks. Another site said 11-14 weeks which is what I swear Ace used to say. So we could be only 5 weeks away from harvest. I don't want to take until it ready, but I hope it's sooner rather than later. I saw Ace recommend moderate - high nutrients in flower vs veg which is moderate slightly low of nitrogen. I increased part A from 2.0 g's to 2.2g's yesterday. I left part b at 1.85g's as well as epsom salt stayed at 2.0g's. I was thinking of adding some gypsum to increas calcium & sulfur without increasing nitrogen. Not sure yet trying to keep it simple. Here they're just before lights out a few hrs ago.

20230306_093451.jpg
20230306_093503.jpg
20230306_093514.jpg
20230306_093529.jpg
20230306_093600.jpg

@Waira I tested the runoff pH 1 was 5.91, other was 5.92. Although it was with nutrient mixed water not plain water. I know it should be with plain water, but that was already mixed. I got my 3lbs of craft blend, and some airstones the other day. I'm just about ready to start organics. Need to pick up worm castings still. I saw Lowes has some peat moss 3cbft for $23.00.

Screenshot_20230306_141248_Chrome.jpg

This is the same company that makes Pro mix. So other than the perlite, what's the difference? This is less than half the cost of buying Pro mix, and if I got Pro mix from Amazon it's a quarter of the cost. So is there any reason not to use this instead of Pro mix? Think that's about it for now till next time...

Stay lifted

:baked:

Last edited:
That even canopy you've created! Nicely done. Couple little hiccups here and there but I'd say you're smashing it.
Thanks bud! Yeah, they're rounding out faster than I expected. I should have expected issuse, I was just blinded by the fact I was doing Malawi. Most pure sativas are a little sensitive to nutrients from what I read. This i would definitely say this about it. It's better off grown by more experienced growers than myself... IF you want it to be grown "perfectly." It's one of the more finicky strains I've done. I can grow it, but it will give me fits lol. Also I think it would do better grown organically, but I think that maybe true for every strain the more i learn. Everything we do as growers is trying to mimic nature, so I makes sense that organics would produce a better product. That's not to say you can't grow a great plant with synthetic nutrients. You see it on here quite a bit. I would like to do again when she can sit, and do her thing without me waiting on her.

Dang buddy… looking good!!!

Dang buddy… looking good!!!
Thanks bud. I need to do some defoliation on the lady on the right. It's a lot tighter, and has larger buds so need to open her up. I wish I could have waited another week, or so to flip. That's called learnin' I guess lol.

Back