Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Death The Cultivator thought you'd find this interesting; Colorado is seeing a LOT of closures with their grows and dispensaries right now:

View attachment 1482458

And food for thought for all of you home growers. $1000+ to grow a pound of pot. Arguably many, if not most of you, are growing a pound of weed for far less than $1000 every cycle.

A lot of grows are barely getting $400-500 a pound wholesale to dispensary right now unless they are growing the fuego.

I've been seeing this.

We as home growers only have higher cost when we impose them on ourselves lol.

They have to pay cultivators, pay for testing, equipment, supplies on a constant basis, uniforms, etc. Investors want their massive take as well.

With the last one I've worked at ROI could have been much higher but they were insistent on throwing out 6400+ gallons of coco every 9 days(over $3000 per cycle), using expensive IPM strategies that were not dealing with the thrips/aphid issues, no concern for water conservation, and the belief that DE 1000w were god's gift to cultivators. We used more power for that one facility than the entire town where it was built.

Old School grower from CO that refused to change while making 120k a year but allowed his head grower/harvest managers to make 40k.

I hope the industry goes through a reckoning, too many legacy growers getting away with outdated practices who don't understand how to run a business because cannabis is a "high value" crop. Too many investors with too little knowledge and stingy profit margins deserve to go out of business. And the bud is still trash.

I'm getting ready to go start a grow in OK as their head grower - OD pounds going for 200-400 wholesale and over half the market controlled by out of state operators. I don't even know what indoor is going for but I want to go the Canadian way. Boutique mail order cannabis.

@Death The Cultivator thought you'd find this interesting; Colorado is seeing a LOT of closures with their grows and dispensaries right now:

View attachment 1482458

And food for thought for all of you home growers. $1000+ to grow a pound of pot. Arguably many, if not most of you, are growing a pound of weed for far less than $1000 every cycle.

A lot of grows are barely getting $400-500 a pound wholesale to dispensary right now unless they are growing the fuego.
Hobbes how much of that cost is TAXES? or is that in the numbers?

Haha I was just thinking the same damn thing :rofl: :rofl:
No shit! Other than the excellent weather, beautiful beaches and fabulous surf, fishing is the biggest thing I miss about Hawaii. We had fresh fish 4-5 days a week. The only seafood I bought was prawns, but they were expensive and on the other side of the island by the grunt base. I only bought prawns when living in base housing. When I bought my home, I had to keep account of every penny and squeezed the crap out of each one! We still ate very well, but I did it by fishing. I'm just lucky I was on so called shore duty at Subase Pearl. I worked less at sea!
Sure did learn a lot of ways of cooking fish and how to use it in various dishes. Some didn't turn out too well, but that was mainly because of the particular fish I used.

Hawaii was quite the mixed bag of life experiences. Most people would have all great times, but I sure as hell didn't live a 'normal' life back then...........is that ever a friggin understatement! LOL!

edit.........some of you may think I misspelled Subase Pearl.......the spell check does! LOL!
But it's just a damn Navy thing. No rhyme, reason or rule. I guess some Admiral didn't want two b's together and naturally didn't want to make it longer by spelling out the words and separate them.

Thats crazy. They definetely should close down if they cant grow a pound for cheaper than that. Jeesh
They have to pay an hourly rate to the employees that watch the plants all day! Wish someone paid me hourly to watch my plants! :eyebrows::rofl:

Hobbes how much of that cost is TAXES? or is that in the numbers?

To be fair there is a good chunk there in taxes; but there is a tremendous amount of waste in a lot of commercial facilities in my personal experience.

They have to pay an hourly rate to the employees that watch the plants all day! Wish someone paid me hourly to watch my plants! :eyebrows::rofl:

I think the price to get your badge went up, but for about $100 or so, you can tell everyone you professionally, commercially grow weed for a living.

And that you make $13/hour doing it.

1657065047490.png

Kids flipping burgers make more money than this. Likely with a higher chance of a benefits package too.

I would love to get paid to do this for a living but not where i live lol i live a hour or so away from Oklahoma but i doubt anyone would hire me as a 2nd year padawan grower, i don't care about how much i would make if you do what you love i'd take min. wage and part time just to keep myself busy and have some funds come in

I would love to get paid to do this for a living but not where i live lol i live a hour or so away from Oklahoma but i doubt anyone would hire me as a 2nd year padawan grower, i don't care about how much i would make if you do what you love i'd take min. wage and part time just to keep myself busy and have some funds come in

Oh dude if you have a pulse you can work out here in Colorado. The turnover rate is higher than a call center.

One of my job interviews involved pulling up my sleeves to prove I didn't have needle tracts on my arms if you want an idea of the quality of workers the cannabis industry tends to bring in. After I was hired, the owner played back the video of his last grower, high on heroin that he shot up in the trailer parked outside the grow, that fell asleep on camera for HOURS, while he was supposed to be working while the owner was in Denver.

In one of the job groups I'm in, some of the dispensaries used to post ads for budtender positions with disclaimers "no wooks." :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back