New Grower Northern Cheese Haze - RDWC - Stealth Closet - First Grow Journal

@Mañ'O'Green Im back! Left the plants for a week in the care of a friend and they fared pretty well! Massive growth on back left, it has almost reached the lights! Not sure what to do about that....
My clamp on fan broke and fell in between the plants, breaking the tips off of two colas. I was able to repair one with some duct tape, the other was fubar. The remaining stock and buds bellow the growth tips remain unharmed on those two colas. Hopefully they will recover? Removed the problem fan to avoid this issue in the future.
Temp and humidty have been stable, as has PH.

Only issue I have noticed is that the new growth/tips of the colas on the back left plant which is very close to the light (which I cannot bring any higher) are yellow. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about? Also one cola has grown beyond the reach of the light it would seem (too high, reaching about the lights height behind the light) ... also not sure what to do about that.

See photos.
Nearly all cloudy trichs on the front left, half cloudy back left.

Ignore the tip burn, upped the nutrients to 850 due to my absence, so my friend would not have to do any nutrient maintenance.

IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3656.JPG

Last edited:
Getting there. Don't be impatient they can pick up 20% of their weight in the last couple of weeks. If you cannot raise the lights and you start getting light burn then your best option is super cropping.

Super Cropping

Hardest thing for a new grower to do emotionally and physically is to super crop a plant to keep it out of the lights. The problem is many new growers as well as all of us end up in that situation indoors sooner or later. Have some grafting PARAFFIN TAPE on hand just in case. 6" lower than you think you should, roll the stem crushing the inside 3 x the diameter of the stem in length between your forefinger and your thumb, then bend the branch over at that pinch. Bend to 90° from the stem or horizontal to the light. If you did not get a good enough interior crush the stem can break usually just on the top. If this happens just wrap with the grafting tape and all will be well. You may need to tie down the bent over top as many branches just lift themselves right back up. A great lesson to teach yourself on your first harvest or any harvest for that matter is to practice super cropping on branches you have harvested. You will get a good feel for what it is to crush and bend without the dread of "Killing a Cola".

Plants look great in spite of all they have been through, sorry to hear about the fan situation. I attach bungee cords to the fans as a fail safe in case they get bumped etc., then it catches them from falling.
The taller plants you can supercrop if you feel comfortable about that, I have not done it before but people have success with it.

Good call , thanks for the input @RivetGrrl & @Mañ'O'Green. How close would you say is too close for auto's growing under a quantum board?

Good call , thanks for the input @RivetGrrl & @Mañ'O'Green. How close would you say is too close for auto's growing under a quantum board?
When you see bleaching that is too close. Strains behave differently so just keep an eye on it.

When you see bleaching that is too close. Strains behave differently so just keep an eye on it.

Wasnt sure if those lighter yellowish growth tips pictured earlier were bleaching, signs of stress, or just normal preflower to budsite transition.

Wasnt sure if those lighter yellowish growth tips pictured earlier were bleaching, signs of stress, or just normal preflower to budsite transition.
Any of the above plus more.

Any of the above plus more.

Yah figured it was a bit early to tell. I just defoliated and fed them some water, so I will wait until tomorrow or so to address the height. Dont want to stress them too much and turn them hermy. Especially after the fan fell and damaged a couple colas.

I haven't grown with QB's yet, regular LED's and air cooled HPS but I find my plants can get very close to the lights when late in flower if I let them grow up closer on their own. If I change the lights, or lower them I find they get heat stress fast. I don't see burnt pistils or tacoing leaves so I would not worry about it, just keep an eye on it. MoG's got it right :thumbsup:

Back