Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-cannabis related culture question please friends ?
I'm trying to save an aloe vera plant and also have a small mint plant that I drenched.
They are both in the tent, no other plants - then, as I emptied the run-off of both plants, I noticed small critters jumping and crawling at the surface of water !
What the hell is this ?? :nono:
Any idea ?
Have a great WE !
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kIosxzN2cfc
Spring tails like wet soil, they like to eat fungus and rotting matter!
Cannabis likes a wet and dry cycle!
Let your pot dry out before watering again, a wet dry cycle allows for a slight Ph shift to happen, which helps with uptake of nutrients, especially those at the opposite ends of the grow Ph range.
1663425277690.png

It also helps with aeration of the soil and for avoiding root rot or encouraging fungus gnats etc
When you water a dry soil, you will notice bubbles coming up from the soil, this process is also dragging air down into the root zone!
After watering, lift your pots and see how heavy they feel, when they feel light in weight water again.
Don't let your pot totally dry out, when the top inch or two of the soil is dry, it maybe time to water again (all depending on your soil mix).
Cannabis like an airy soil, so adding perlite can help from water logging happening.

How to get rid of Spring Tails in pots.
Potted Plants (Soil)
  • Springtails enter homes through window screens, open doors and windows, vent pipes or in potted plants. They are attracted to indoor moisture, especially as the outdoors dries. They may be attracted to light, entering through windows, under doors or through cracks in the foundation.
  • Keep springtails away from your home by keeping leaves, grass and other organic matter away from the foundation. Fill every crack the foundation may have, even beneath the soil line as possible. Make sure seals around windows and doors are tight.
  • Use crawling insect killers with diatomaceous earth to repel the pests around places where they might enter.
  • Springtails frequently occur in the soil of potted plants. Inspect the potting mixture of every plant you intend to bring home by testing it with your thumbs and watching for springing. Lichen or other soil covers that are organic food sources for the pests should be examined carefully. Be especially cautious if plants show signs of excess moisture. If you suspect insect activity, quarantine house plants, preferably outside, to allow the soil to completely dry before bringing them in.
  • Letting soil dry completely as possible is the best way to deal with infested pots already in the home.
  • Sprinkle diatomaceous earth on potted soils to help them dry and to repel springtails.
  • If infestations in potted plants persist, use a non-toxic, biodegradable soil drench to kill and repel the bugs. (More than one application may be required.)
  • After a hot day, they may congregate on the side of a building in tremendous numbers, increasing the chance of indoor infestation. If you spot an infestation inside or out, use a wet -dry shop-vac with a small amount of soapy water in its collection tank to vacuum them up.
  • Use fans to thoroughly dry any area of the house, including inside walls (as possible) where springtails have been found. Repair roof leaks, cracks in siding and any other places where moisture might enter the house.
  • Keep areas around sink faucets and drains clear and clean of molds and other growth that might used as a food source. Remove scum and hair from beneath sink drains. If you suspect springtails in your drain pipes, clean as thoroughly as possible and rinse them with vinegar. (Never pour any type of pesticide down a drain.)
  • House plant soil, especially those with lichen or moss, can be a hotbed of springtail reproduction. Inspect any potted houseplants you buy for signs of infestation before bringing them inside. Once inside the house, don’t over water. Allowing soil to dry completely between watering discourages them from staying around.

You're welcome!! :D .. Loving the long desciptive helpful posts - i'd give you more if i could :bighug: (OG Arty!!)
:vibe::vibe::vibe:
LMAO you and Waira too!
I love to help folk where I can, twas ever thus!
OG hehe time flies eh?
I posted some old skool AFN banners the other day, I think you may have missed them!
See if this jogs any memories all the way back to 2011.

1663426813165.png

See if this can jog you memory Blue OG :D yeah only 8 years a go! I still remember you saying Hi way back when.
Of course I had been lurking and borrowing auto and LED info for another forum since 2011, the lure of AFN was too great, so I jumped ship and joined the the AFN crew with Capn' Mossy at the helm! Aaarrrggh!
  1. High Team

2. HT Giggler
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_pos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    reputation_highpos.png
    blue's AvatarJoin Date May 2013 Location Behind You! BOO! Posts4,716
    Awards And Staff Icons
    Global Mod
    High Team   You are a Star   Coco-Nut   Sweet Seeds Supporter badge
    GrowNorthern LED's

High Team
    Can i Help You?

Hi There, I'm Blue.

I am happy to offer basic advice to new growers with small to medium setups.

Mediums: Soil and coco
    Lighting: CFL, LED, HPS
    Nutes: Canna range

Germination | Environment | Ph Management | Feeding | LST | Harvesting | Drying | Curing

I am unable to comfortably advise on.

Hydro | Outdoor | Organic | Breeding | Deficiencies | Medical | Concentrates

Hit me up if you need any help!!

All the best
    Blue ^_^
    ahighteam.gif
    Last edited by blue; 03-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Do you need a hand bro?

I see you were trying to post a picture but I can't see it!

Click "Attach Files" button (Bottom Left of the Screen) The one with a paperclip next to "Attach Files"

Then navigate to your picture in the drive that it is stored in.

Click the picture you want to post and click "open"!

This will put the picture into the post box (where you post your "posts" from.

You can load up to 15 pictures per post!

If you are loading multiple pics, you can post them in one go by pressing "thumbnail" or "Full Image" buttons next to where it says "Insert All".

Otherwise you can select each pic individually and post as a thumbnail or full image.

You can increase and decrease picture sizes by dragging the corners of the picture (where the green squares are)!

View attachment 1515052
View attachment 1515053
I think the major issue that I'm having is that the original phone that I took the pictures of of my kitties all lined up in my drawer was on a phone that I ended up losing in the river this winter when I was trying to be creative photographing bald eagles don't ask it was a bad ending although maybe you will want to know who knows moving it along I had my wife send me the pictures from her photos that were backed up on her phone so somehow when they got sent to me they're visible on my phone I can see them but when I try to upload them at a site it says it wasn't a file as expected so I'm not Adept in that so I don't know what I need to do to make them a file that the website will accept or another variation that I could use to bring them here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back