Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine heat aside, that part of the world is fantastic. We are in the USA. Neither of us born here. Multi country immigrants. Nearly back to being able to retire completely. Definitely "country shopping" a bit.

In other news.....

Major earthquake in Haiti over the weekend. Just got off our security briefing. Been recommended to bring our own personal sidearm and armor if we have it. Hmph. I'm too old for this.

I'm a consultant! An analyst! Not a field guy! Might not have to do anything but show up and sit on the boat. We shall see. 10 days to go.
Haiti was culture shock for me, as a 19 yr old American, when my old wooden boat broke down for 2 months in Cap Haitian. That was 1971, 2 weeks after Papa Doc Duvalier died. Last visit was 1980, on a sailboat that limped into Dame-Marie for emergency repairs after thunderstorm damage headed north from S.America. Dame-Marie is near the epicenter of this week's quake. Even then the poverty was unimaginable. I hear it's only gotten worse. The damage from the 2010 quake has never been restored yet. My heart goes out to the people of Haiti. I remember visiting a hardware store in Cap Haitian, and asking what the pile of 2' long wooden boxes was for. The clerk told me, "those are to bury the children." That was before the quakes, just 'normal' 80% infant mortality. Thanks for your service there.

It's a unique place and they just can't catch a break. Ever.

Something interesting is the amount of money China is investing into Caribbean nations. Not sure what they are up to but, they've helped build a lot of infrastructure.

PS - I'm no serviceman. Just a guy who fell into an interesting job. Then left, and now charges "consulting" rates.

It's a unique place and they just can't catch a break. Ever.

Something interesting is the amount of money China is investing into Caribbean nations. Not sure what they are up to but, they've helped build a lot of infrastructure.

PS - I'm no serviceman. Just a guy who fell into an interesting job. Then left, and now charges "consulting" rates.
When you said they recommended you bring your own side arm, I had flashbacks to when I was interviewing for a contract job with one of Haliburton's subsidiaries. for QA work Northern Iraq in the Kurd held area after the fall of Baghdad.
We had already come to an agreement on salary and beni package, but hadn't signed the contract. I was discussing a few things with one of the logistic guys. I brought up the subject of arms. I asked if I needed to bring my own and how to get them over there. He laughed and said I couldn't carry a weapon and would have a security contingent with me.
I laughed at him and asked if he had looked at my resume. He nonchalantly said no. I went back to HR department to discuss this matter. The person I was working with was just your regular pencil pusher. I came out and told her we have a huge problem. I told her the problem and she came back with the same answer of having a security detail with me. I told her to get the division head I was working with in here.

Not wanting to burn possible bridges, after the division head confirmed this and showed me the DOD memo/rule about contractors not being armed. I told him that there would be no way I could rely on others for my security. He even offered quite a bit more money. I could see he really didn't understand. I told him it wasn't a money issue, it was a ton of money, especially after the last bump. I tried to keep it positive and sorta chuckled when I told him, "If you have fully read my resume, then you should understand why it's pretty much impossible for me to go to that are and worked unarmed. I understand the DOD rules you have to go by, but i just can't rely of others for my safety and if my life depended on it, I would be picking up a weapon and taking care of business.
He was relentless! He then offered me a security detail position. I just chuckled and said "And follow more sillyass DOD rules, SOP and a very restrictive ROE?"
I just had to turn it down............sure as hell hated to miss out the $$$$$!!!!

little dude was hard at it on my outdoor Northern lights plant:baked:
Lady bug.JPG

Apparently my whole neighborhood is having an outbreak of these damn armyworms! Just before sundown gonna go outside and spray the entire yard with that sevin stuff! Supposedly best bet!
A13DD20B-267C-46AE-8CC8-7FA53B7A2730.jpeg

And they are off, put seeds with long tails in a small hole and poured promix on top with a spray of water

Happy to be on my next grow, i bet they sprout tomorrow (i hope) never planted a long tail seed before.

20210816_070154.jpg
20210816_070224.jpg

Got humidity set at 75% and temps are a bit low because the damn portable R2-D2 ac unit freezes the room so dealing with 76F inside the tent.
I turned the leds on 100% power to heat the tent up but 76F is it, i'm turning the temp up the ac to dial it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back