Lighting DIY watercooled photosynthetic-research COB-LED-Lamp completed build, tell me what u think

Salutations,

...this is a prototype... ...there are so many different wavelengths that could play a possible role in growing plants i couldnt decide between them and added 12 different wavelengths in total...

Although i'm not in a position to entertain a long conversation on the subject i believe if i were to engage into such venture then i'd most probably do everything in my ower to ensure there's some provision for external automated control, including timer functions to override dimming...

Lets say i've been inspired by some other challenge that was conveniently solved after exploring "pulsed" modes, to avoid overheating effects, etc. My reasoning is that on top of the already featured bands i'd also want to toy with Ultra-Violet light and hence this makes me think i'd want at least minimal timer control to tame that, especially if the "harder" 200 - 280 nm band happens to be an option. In addition there's the idea that a plant may sometimes react nearly the same to UVA as if it were effectively threatened by UVB (see UV-induced "Systemic Acquired Resistance"), or even worse, UVC though it also promises "germicidal" properties as a bonus. I'd certainly dream of evaluating all that, but it's me.

Anyway in pulsed mode a lamp would be turned off before it has a chance to cause vegetal damage, then it wouldn't light up again before enough rest time has been allowed for the vegetal tissue surface cells to recover, if necessary at all, whatever these do. Schematics would have given some hints how the muscles can get a brain connected in any case, the dimmers more specifically.

I mean, imagine the frustration spared thanks to automation dealing with patience-challenging tasks! Ain't life simply too short!... So many more projects awaiting...

:2cents:

Now what if one of those lightwave bands don't even need to run continuously in order to induce useful vegetal reactions? What if the light spectrum already optimized using LEDs could also be chopped into timed sequences and still generate useful energy (in safe bursts), "hormonal" stimulation, triple-head mutant trichomes, go figure! Etc... Perhaps you don't even know precisely what you may be looking for just yet, eventually, so it could be a matter of simply using a proper probing "radar" if available.

Apparently the observation tool often affects the observations, e.g. you won't find the star's secrets without a telescope after all. In other words, since there are dimmers present then perhaps remote control ain't too impossible a challenge. I wonder.

...5x 390 nm...

Are there LEDs which output light near 300 and 260 nm?? 240, if feeling adventurous?...

Enjoy walking the path and thanks for the sharing! Those are priceless times/memories and while i think of it, please, remember to keep us posted with pictures when appliable!

:pop:

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Salutations,

Although i'm not in a position to entertain a long conversation on the subject i believe if i were to engage into such venture then i'd most probably do everything in my ower to ensure there's some provision for external automated control, including timer functions to override dimming...
well actually i am planning on that. i was thinking about a RasPi-Arduino solution and i am lucky i got some IT skills. but before i can start this i need to optimize everything else and do some more tests.
Lets say i've been inspired by some other challenge that was conveniently solved after exploring "pulsed" modes, to avoid overheating effects, etc. My reasoning is that on top of the already featured bands i'd also want to toy with Ultra-Violet light and hence this makes me think i'd want at least minimal timer control to tame that, especially if the "harder" 200 - 280 nm band happens to be an option. In addition there's the idea that a plant may sometimes react nearly the same to UVA as if it were effectively threatened by UVB (see UV-induced "Systemic Acquired Resistance"), or even worse, UVC though it also promises "germicidal" properties as a bonus. I'd certainly dream of evaluating all that, but it's me.
that came also in my mind. i read once that thc is the stronges "suncream" produced by nature and since this indicates that uv-radiation turns the plants on to produce more thc to protect theirselfes tells me that must be a good thing.

but good things mostly have also a bad thing and in this case thats damage u can recieve from this type of radiation, especially when it comes uv-b or even uv-c.

here some information:
UV-A ( 380 - 315nm ) : low to no damage, nearly no chance of getting a sunburn, gets deep in the skin.
UV-B ( 315 - 280nm ) : mid to low damage, mid chance of getting a sunburn, can cause cancer in skin, skin starts to produce vitamin-D3
UV-C ( 280 - 200nm ) : high to mid dmg, gets mostyl blocked by air, between 265 and 220nm any type of bacteria gets killed pretty fast.

so u see, the shorter the wavelength gets the closer u need to go to the object that should get radiated. personally i would not try to play with wavelengths shorter than 380 without glasses to protect my eyes. be sure to get a quality product cause eye damage cant be healed imho.

Anyway in pulsed mode a lamp would be turned off before it has a chance to cause vegetal damage, then it wouldn't light up again before enough rest time has been allowed for the vegetal tissue surface cells to recover, if necessary at all, whatever these do. Schematics would have given some hints how the muscles can get a brain connected in any case, the dimmers more specifically.

I mean, imagine the frustration spared thanks to automation dealing with patience-challenging tasks! Ain't life simply too short!... So many more projects awaiting...

i get your idea and also thought about that, but then read about the damage it could do and there is no real information what happens to a plant when it gets uv-a,-b or -c wavelengths over a certain time or when real dmg begins and so on. ( dont mentioning the damage to your skin or eyes! there is a reason why there a glasses against uv-radiation! keep that in mind !)

i did dome research a time ago and found out that dentists for example use uv-c for hardening fillings. they harden it with 2 or 3 times a 45 secs of radiation period. also i read if it actually gets in biological mass it does bad dmg at about 60 secs of radiation time. but dont know if thats for sure.

Now what if one of those lightwave bands don't even need to run continuously in order to induce useful vegetal reactions? What if the light spectrum already optimized using LEDs could also be chopped into timed sequences and still generate useful energy (in safe bursts), "hormonal" stimulation, triple-head mutant trichomes, go figure! Etc... Perhaps you don't even know precisely what you may be looking for just yet, eventually, so it could be a matter of simply using a proper probing "radar" if available.
for all the bands i got in my build i can switch them on and of all for themselfes. they get dimmed with PWM in 256 steps from 0 to 100% power. so if needed i can switch off certain wavelengths or dimm it down to a certain level, but this i only gonna know after a lot of tests. but maybe i got one wavelength that rly isnt needed at all then i can change the diode since they are all the same size, i just need to set the right resistor for that specific type of led.

but for now i dont even know how to get there a good testing-method for this at all. i will put this at the very end of my list haha :D

Apparently the observation tool often affects the observations, e.g. you won't find the star's secrets without a telescope after all. In other words, since there are dimmers present then perhaps remote control ain't too impossible a challenge. I wonder.
as i said in the top i am working on that. but yes u r right, the testing would be much easier if i had an automated system. i also could test things u mentioned without running to the lamp switching of a certain wavelength cause it ran for 20 mins or so.

Are there LEDs which output light near 300 and 260 nm?? 240, if feeling adventurous?...
since i was looking also for the maximum that is possible to get for maximum testing options i found out that the shortest wavelength u can get at the moment in a flat SMD starplate with 275nm. next steps are 285,295 and 310nm.

the thing is, one SMD starplate costs u about 63 bucks a piece!
u can search for yourself i just give u some part numbers:

Marktech Optoelectronics
MTSM275UV-F1120S
MTSM285UV-F1120S
MTSM295UV-F1120S
MTSM310UV-F1120S

and for powerfull UV LED's take a look at here:

http://www.ledengin.com/

Enjoy walking the path and thanks for the sharing! Those are priceless times/memories and while i think of it, please, remember to keep us posted with pictures when appliable!

thank u a lot! and ofc i'm gonna keep this thread updated.

Last edited:
Salutations,

also maybe something you should read:

https://growagromax.com/products/4ft-pure-series/

look at the pure-uv ones and read description. but there are also no informations about radiation times only about the actual µW/cm² that is "recommened".

I see your light is in contact here to AFN and you´re in very interessting conversations...cannot follow all..but feels good, bro

A discussion that is engaging and much along the lines of what has been rattling around in my head. I believe that the multiple bandwidth approach has great merit. I think that the best approach to this is to build one multi angle head that can be attached to a light mover. That leaves static positions for ready made light solutions and focuses on building out a suplimental system that can be duplicated and deployed by anyone that has a desire to follow. We all have light systems of various performance, but a custom source that could be added into an existing grow to take it up a notch is to me a worthy project to spend some time.

Back