Lighting DIY watercooled photosynthetic-research COB-LED-Lamp completed build, tell me what u think

@L0wbob2017 may i look like a fool, but where is the water cooling in this unit? I din not see it

It got 5 "All-in-One" solutions. You can see 5 big black blocks.

take a look here :
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/sets-und-systems/eisbaer/20224/alphacool-eisbaer-120-cpu-black
One of these per COB. It contains a pump, a radiator and a water-reservoir in a all in one solution.
Not cheap but powerful. Heatsink is made of copper, same for the radiator and the connection between is made of a silicon-type-plastic.

It got 5 "All-in-One" solutions. You can see 5 big black blocks.

take a look here :
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/sets-und-systems/eisbaer/20224/alphacool-eisbaer-120-cpu-black
One of these per COB. It contains a pump, a radiator and a water-reservoir in a all in one solution.
Not cheap but powerful. Heatsink is made of copper, same for the radiator and the connection between is made of a silicon-type-plastic.

Crazy, never seen this before! Time for a review of you lights! 500 bucks on cooling units is pretty heavy but hey, if this really increases the light performance i guess its just worth it!:greencheck:
Seems to me youre very techy if you get down with that cpu cooling stuff. I alwayswould prefer passive cooling, and especially water cooling on electric devices gives me a bad feeling but these things look reliable. cant wait to see more.
:slap:

Hello all thread-viewers,

my idea was to build a DIY-LED with COB's and make it kinda special. So i decided to watercool the COB's which some of u alrdy guessed, get pretty warm.
Since the COB's are more efficient when cooled better, watercooling was my only option to go. These COB's are all connected to one dimmer to power them up from 10 to 100% power.

But not enough, i wanted to add some monos which should be dimmable. Since there are so many different wavelengths that could play a possible role
in growing plants i couldnt decide between them and added 12 different wavelengths in total of 60 LED's.These LED's get cooled passive with some
mini heatsinks since they are all capped at 3W and dont need that much cooling. Also they get a lot of flowing air from the watercooling-system of the COB's.
So there are 5 LED's per wavelength which are all connected to 1 dimmer to power up one wavelength from 0 to 100% power.

So in total i got this:

5x COB ( Cree CXB3590 | 4x 3500K, 1x 5000K ) with 90° angelina reflector
5x Watercooling-System ( Alphacool Eisbaer 120 CPU unit including 1x Pump inclusive watertank, 1x radiator, 1x 120mm fan [ in the pack are included 2 fans but i only need 1] )

60x Mono-wavelength LED ( 5x 390 nm, 5x 410 nm, 5x 430 nm, 5x 440 nm, 5x 455 nm, 5x 490 nm, 5x 590 nm, 5x 600 nm, 5x 630 nm, 5x 660nm, 5x 740 nm, 5x combined 400-840 nm )
60x mini-heatsink passive

13x dimmer ( 1x for the big COB's, 12x for the monos )

3x power supply ( 1x Meanwell HLG-240H-C1400B, 1x Meanwell SP-240-24, 1x Meanwell RS-50-12)

Since this is a prototype and i couldnt do any testing up to now, i mounted all of this on a wooden plate and framed it with a wooden frame to stabilize it.
The size of the completed build is about 93x93cm ( 3x3 ft).

Coverage:

I did some testings with thie lamp about 60cm above the ground and came out with approx. 1,2x1,2m (4x4 ft best coverage ) to 1,5x1,5m (5x5 good coverage ).

I will update/edit this thread with some pictures.

So here are the promised pictures, sadly u cant see anything from the monos with the camera when complete build is at 100% but with the naked eye u can :D

Lamp from above switched off:
View attachment 720549

Lamp from bottom switched off:
View attachment 720556

Closer view on COB in center:
View attachment 720555

Closer view on COB in the corners:
View attachment 720554

So please tell me what u think about and/or ask questions.

Greets L0wbob2017

@TheMongol : so it's done, i posted the lamp here in the forum and we will see what ppl think about :)

I dont read the complete thread due to lazyness so i dont know if this was already asked before, how much does this whole thing draw?

I dont read the complete thread due to lazyness so i dont know if this was already asked before, how much does this whole thing draw?

well it is
5 COB's ( 35V x 1,4A max = 49W; 5 x 49W = 245W maximum)
5 AiO-watercool solution ( 5W per AiO-solution minimum = 25W in total ; After some testings i found out that there is no need to turn it on maximum which would be 10W per AiO-solution so 50W max in total )
60 monos ( 25x red with 1,75W max; 35x blue with 2,45W max; thats 129,5W in total)

So adding this together i end up with 399,5W in total ( calculated ) with minimum watercooling and 424,5W maximum draw from the wall ( also calculated )

well it is
5 COB's ( 35V x 1,4A max = 49W; 5 x 49W = 245W maximum)
5 AiO-watercool solution ( 5W per AiO-solution minimum = 25W in total ; After some testings i found out that there is no need to turn it on maximum which would be 10W per AiO-solution so 50W max in total )
60 monos ( 25x red with 1,75W max; 35x blue with 2,45W max; thats 129,5W in total)

So adding this together i end up with 399,5W in total ( calculated ) with minimum watercooling and 424,5W maximum draw from the wall ( also calculated )

So that is pretty similar to what 3 sanlights are consuming (420w +/- 5w) would be intersting to see the comparison in action. Thanks for breaking it down.

So here is the first picture of my build in action:

At max power ( 1,4A ) against a Platinum P600:
2.jpg

Back