Lighting Rapid LED vs COBshop - need advice

im in a little bit of a bind with a plant I started out of sequence. So....I’m looking for a lighting solution for flowering a single DP Auto Ultimate. I can’t decide which of these lighting solutions to choose:

RapidLED 150w (2x 75w true) 3500k Cree CXB3590 dimmable COB pucks - $309

COBshop.net 2 x Autocob (55w each, I think) w/ 3500k - $250

RapidLED Chilled Logic dimmable 100w (true) fixture w/ Meanwell 240H 2100b driver - $309

All 3 will work but I can’t decide. Once I finish this auto, whichever light package I go with will be used to supplement a 240w 3500k LED fixture I’m building for a new 3x3 veg tent. I’d love to go with the Autocob because it’s cheaper and a site sponsor but I can get an additional 50% more light from the RapidLED COB package and I’ve heard such great things about the Chilled Logic lights that I’m seriously tempted to try one. On the other hand, I worry that there’s more hype than substance to the higher priced RapidLED lights. Lol! What would YOU get? Help me choose!

@Weed Warrior @Waira @Ripper
You should read the thread below yours about the qb96 elites . 100$ for the board & heat sink & can be ran at 150 w with just the heat sink & 300w with active cooling. They also have 16 deep reds & 16 far reds diodes for flower enhancement. So 2 boards/sinks , HLG 320 & some L channel & wiring supplies would run you 300$ & some change . You could easily add more lights to the fixture in the future if needed .

You should read the thread below yours about the qb96 elites . 100$ for the board & heat sink & can be ran at 150 w with just the heat sink & 300w with active cooling. They also have 16 deep reds & 16 far reds diodes for flower enhancement. So 2 boards/sinks , HLG 320 & some L channel & wiring supplies would run you 300$ & some change . You could easily add more lights to the fixture in the future if needed .

Thanks for the reply! All my big grow lights are QB builds I put together from HLG boards. M most recent being a 4 x qb120 I put on 1/8” angle. In this case I was just looking for a small light or two for a single plant and something I could throw in with my bigger lights if I had a dark spot somewhere. I appreciate the thought, though!
:pass:

Thanks for the reply! All my big grow lights are QB builds I put together from HLG boards. M most recent being a 4 x qb120 I put on 1/8” angle. In this case I was just looking for a small light or two for a single plant and something I could throw in with my bigger lights if I had a dark spot somewhere. I appreciate the thought, though!
Rights on , HLG does have those 100w & 65w boards that would work & take up less space & weight ;)

I second the QB Elite V2s if you love Cob style. Since you have worked with so many QBs, the assembly will be a breeze and easier imo.

Best part is, for around the same cost or less, you get a light that can be dimmed for those small dark spots. If you wanna go big, I've seen ppl running ONE unit up to 250W. I'm sure you won't mind your intended small light to be big when it needs to! Flexibility is there cos driver options are plenty.

The spectrum is also much better than a single white light source. This 96Elite V2 has added red in them with 4000K white diodes. Ends up around 3500K anyways.

Mixing dimmable QBs and non dimmable COBs can be a problem. Best if both are dimmable. Reason is, if you have to lower QB boards below the COB, the boards will block most of the COB light. You won't be able to dim the COB to place it around same height with QBs. Hope this makes sense.

Another vote for autocobs from BigSmo. 99% sure they’re 65w cobs.

He’s very responsive and has a lot of testimonials to his lights on AFN. I’ve got 2.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 autocobs and 4 of the rapidleds @ 3000k 90cri in a 4x4. Happy with both lights in my limited time using them. Watch out for the shipping costs on the rapidled.
20190217_085227_HDR.jpg

65 watts on the autocob.

250-5% afn discount (afn5)
237.50 and 2-3 day delivery.
130 wall watts vs 100 wall watts. I assure you the autocob is the cheapest and will land at your door the fastest. 2 lower wattage lights will hands down out perform 1 higher wattage. As for the boards I have yet to see a side by side that is in favor of the boards too. I have seen a lot of growers follow the hype and end up back with the cobs. 3-5% efficiency but a lower ppfd watt for watt. In the end you can’t lose with any of the 3. They are all great lights.

I picked up some autocobs to try after decades of HID

Love em :cheers:

I will be mixing in a few 2700K in the future though

Back