Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile back I was having my first go round with fungus gnats. A trusted friend with loads of growing experience suggested I put down a layer (1 inch thick) of white playground sand and to generously sprinkle mosquito bits on top of that and water it in well. Also to keep a fan blowing across the top of the soil to make it much harder for the fliers to land on the surface. I had them really bad when I did this and within 2 weeks they were tremendously reduced in numbers. I kept it up and they were gone completely in about a month. Now I lightly sprinkle the mosquito bits on the surface of all my plants and have not had a repeat of the problem.
Using sand I would not advise, with some nutrient lines, can turn the sand into like concrete unless constantly raked/ agitated. Tried form experience, only reason saying this.

*again my opinion, not telling anyone what to do lol*

Atleast it’s fungus gnats, and not worse bugs, fungus gnats imo are the easiest to get rid of, what is (not telling ya what to do), just put a thickish layer of perlite on top of medium, won’t kill the gnats flying around, but will keep them off the top layer where they breed and eventually they die off, and the larvae on top layer either suffocate or mature and fly out and then again die off, that’s just me though

*they are annoying af though*
That may work in the EB, without the cover. I just don't have any on hand
Bad Luck @WildBill ...:headbang:..I Hope you get them sorted....are fungus gnats a low soil ph problem...?
I don't know Auntie, but my soil pH is fine.
They may have been there from my bin or other source and I changed the environment with giving a bit of an air space for the mikos to grow better. I think it gave them an advantage to thrive. Everything else in the EB kept them in check before I changed it.
Replace perlite with D.E. and you've got my method lol
Yeah, That's gonna be my method. That's what I finally had to resort to on the first time I got them. Nothing else I tried broke the life cycle. That may have been my fault by not reapplying at the correct time.
I'll just have to pull off the cover for the remainder of the two or so weeks left to make sure I break the life cycle. I hate having to do that and harming/killing my good bugs.

1640189207199.png

That's an Interesting one about the raw tattie........:pass:...

Using sand I would not advise, with some nutrient lines, can turn the sand into like concrete unless constantly raked/ agitated. Tried form experience, only reason saying this.

*again my opinion, not telling anyone what to do lol*
DE can do the same thing if you top water, but ya don't top water with DE on top to keep it dry. It's far more effective dry. It will still work wet, just not where near as effective.
I'm fairly sure I can finish out without top watering my liquid nutes. I really don't have a dry flower nute. I guess if I have to give some FFJ or Blue Gold flower nutes, I can reapply the DE later in the day when it dries a bit.

Damn! I thought it was a good idea for the air space to get a good fungal growth. It did do what I intended, and fungal mat is very nice. I think the air space gave them a place to breed and thrive.
Lesson learned!

DE can do the same thing if you top water, but ya don't top water with DE on top to keep it dry. It's far more effective dry. It will still work wet, just not where near as effective.
I'm fairly sure I can finish out without top watering my liquid nutes. I really don't have a dry flower nute. I guess if I have to give some FFJ or Blue Gold flower nutes, I can reapply the DE later in the day when it dries a bit.

Damn! I thought it was a good idea for the air space to get a good fungal growth. It did do what I intended, and fungal mat is very nice. I think the air space gave them a place to breed and thrive.
Lesson learned!

Quick Google for you says DE is one of the most effective methods @WildBill ...good luck...... :headbang:

Ha. I already almost guarantee it'll be too rich for my blood. Most items marketed towards growers have a stupidly high mark-up to begin with lol
I think before I spent $400 getting fans for my tent I’d buy a 3D printer…..then design my own fan…. then see how much for a manufacturer to make them! A quality oscillating fan FOR A GOOD PRICE would sell like hot cakes!

The fans from wegrowbuds is nothing fancy and price fluctuates from $39-50 (shows sale price at times) but never in stock! It’ll literally have them up FOR PREORDER for maybe an hour and then they sell out and then the peeps gotta wait 6 weeks or longer before the fans ship out so people buying the fans up shouldn’t be an issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back