3B28D2A5-81B9-4104-A363-4413730938A1.jpeg
4455533C-45D0-4F13-833C-3962ACFCE33F.jpeg
090F6B91-F649-4894-B93F-66BAA7606C3D.jpeg

No snakes this time but this little dude was hiding under the trash can!
A1DF88B1-E3EA-434D-95B5-E484B97309EC.jpeg

Hey @Cerebral Goo
You think something like knotty pine tongue and groove would be good for covering lead paint? :pass:
In my 1880 house I tore out the old plaster & lath walls and woodwork and replaced them with drywall and pine or vinyl trim. I did use an old 12" furnace blower in the closest window to suck the dust clouds outside, and wore a respirator. That was well before I took a class in "lead-safe work practices." Ignorance is bliss. It hasn't affected me that I could tell. My ITP, CLL and RAD are probably from something else? Anyway, they say that painting over the old lead-based paint is enough to seal in the lead, but I'd rather have it gone. Any paint eventually deteriorates and starts flaking. I'd think that lead dust from old paint behind T&G paneling could seep out through cracks, especially on those windy nights in this drafty old house. Just my 2 cents. Lead poisoning is mostly an issue for kids up to 6 years old, when little brains are still developing.

Whatcha tryin to do? Would depend on project
Whole house pretty much. Just about every wall has lead paint, with newer paint over it, but it’s cracking in some areas… ceilings too.

I stayed in a cabin on a lake in Maine for a summer, and it had knotty pine everywhere and I loved it. I figured that’s a better way to cover lead paint than more paint… and maybe a bit of an affordable upgrade…

Wutchoo think? :pass: Any alternative ideas….

1727144404565.gif

In my 1880 house I tore out the old plaster & lath walls and woodwork and replaced them with drywall and pine or vinyl trim. I did use an old 12" furnace blower in the closest window to suck the dust clouds outside, and wore a respirator. That was well before I took a class in "lead-safe work practices." Ignorance is bliss. It hasn't affected me that I could tell. My ITP, CLL and RAD are probably from something else? Anyway, they say that painting over the old lead-based paint is enough to seal in the lead, but I'd rather have it gone. Any paint eventually deteriorates and starts flaking. I'd think that lead dust from old paint behind T&G paneling could seep out through cracks, especially on those windy nights in this drafty old house. Just my 2 cents. Lead poisoning is mostly an issue for kids up to 6 years old, when little brains are still developing.
Better safe than sorry. Lead is nerotoxic at any age!

Hmm… good point. I guess I’ll have to paint before the the wood anyway…

It’s just the Dude and I, so I’m not worried about the toxicity… it’s more about fixing the issue long term with something I can live with…. Without dropping a bunch of unnecessary money to hire someone to clean it all up… :pass:

Hmm… good point. I guess I’ll have to paint before the the wood anyway…

It’s just the Dude and I, so I’m not worried about the toxicity… it’s more about fixing the issue long term with something I can live with…. Without dropping a bunch of unnecessary money to hire someone to clean it all up… :pass:
What year is your house? What style?

Back