Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know..........IF I didn't have to deal with people, I'd start back up my custom metal polishing services.
NASTY AF WORK! It's very satisfying for someone that's sorta OCD. I was VERY OCD with my polishing. Polishing wheels and stuff like that is ok for satisfaction. The real deal is taking a cast part and giving it a clear, deep, flawless finish. Naturally the quality of the casting matters and limiting the porosity effects the end product.
I got into polishing and custom polishing, when I started customizing my Mach1. I had custom forged retro wheels. Perfect retro wheel for a retro car and with it being forged, the quality of the finish can be quite stunning. Most people thought mine were chrome plated and wanted to know who plated them. LOL!
Purdy wheels will only get ya so far in car shows. Ya need a few things to stand out. So I created my own. Lots of cast aluninum parts on that big(size, not displacement) ol' DOHC Ford ModMotor. :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:
I removed the intake manifold, cam covers and front scoop mount from the engine. Not getting into methods, ya have to progressivly remove and refine the imperfections to get the part down to a finish that can be polished. The vast amount of the work can be done with a buffing motor on a stand, various types of wheels and compounds. Then there's all the fine detail work. The areas that hand sanding and grinding with a tiny dremel tool. I cleaned up the lines on the cam covers by removing sections that were there as part of the casting process, silly Ford design or unappealing parts that broke up the flow of the part.
It was something that no one else had on their car. Naturally people ask where I had it done. When saying that I did it, the next thing is "How much would you charge me?"
It kinda grew from there. Luckily, it moved from the average car enthusiast, that really doesn't understand or appreciate the difference in custom grinding and polishing. The difference in a finish that most people would be very happy with and a finish is 'show car quality' is quite large, in time, therefore expense.
The guys that actually build custom cars from the ground up, DO appreciate that extra level. Other than stuff for close friends, I started doing stuff for custom car builders. This was just a spare time killer to keep me outta mischief. :eyebrows: It ate into sleep time, so I got a kid to rough out stuff and then I refine it. Still stayed busy AF! I finally just got more selective in whom I did work.
When I went back to take care of Mom 24/7, I stopped doing any polishing work.
I still get emails about it. I guess covid made me more anti-social.:shrug::rofl:
This sounds like the same sort of mind I get into sharpening knives. I like stropping knives with 9000 grit paste during long meetings or if I’m trying to solve a problem, but can’t get the mind to focus. I have a knife with an M390 blade that when it gets sharp, the edge gains a mirror finish. In fact, I find the defects by looking at the light reflected off the very edge and look for gaps or dark spots.

Attachments

• knife-edge.jpg
    knife-edge.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
View attachment 1514698 another reason we don't dump grease down the drain

I did some plumbing work for a couple years did not enjoy it at all more power to you :headbang::pighug::toke:

thank you for the reps today @Mossy going a little over board today? Thank you so much:headbang::bighug:
1663352914644.gif

This one’s for you I keep having this song stuck in my head…”sometimes the only way to get by is to get high”:headbang::pass:

Sewer is really hard work but its kinda nice cuz everyone's so scared to get dirty i always have plenty o work
If smelling that profile of sulfur...fetid .....caca is your kinda thing i guess lol
Locally the one job noone wants is porta potty pumper/cleaner...seen two "novices" at a state fair grounds ruin my appetite for 6 months

If smelling that profile of sulfur...fetid .....caca is your kinda thing i guess lol
Locally the one job noone wants is porta potty pumper/cleaner...seen two "novices" at a state fair grounds ruin my appetite for 6 months
I saw a honey truck workman fall into the septic tank he was pumping out. His co-worker got him a ladder to climb out. He was covered in the foulest SHIT and I almost lost my cookies when I caught wind of him.

There just is not enough money to get me to do that kind of work!

Should i stop here with (4) 5 gallon pots and (1) 6.6 gallon pot in the middle?

Or should i add in 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon fabrics in between to fill the spaces?

The smarter side of me thinks it is fine the way it is, adding more pots would make it more crazy, maybe.

20220916_150551.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back