Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a tasty treat…
My GF ferments it every week. She really likes it - mainly uses berries and ginger for flavor. She puts in a splash of vodka and a dropperful of Green Dragon to make a cocktail!

and 25ish days later you’ve got kombucha.

25 days?!? What is this, North Korea???

want-it-i-want-it.gif

I tried making kombucha out of some spiced black tea one of my refugees brought me when he went home to Iraq. I had no clue, made it way too strong. It was terrible. There are a couple of kombucha brewers in the neighborhood though, it is tasty when done right.

UV treated or pasteurized cider still ferments, it just takes longer to get started while some wild yeast from the environment gets in there. I suppose you could add a pinch of brewer's yeast from the home-brew store, haven't tried that. Even bread yeast makes alcohol. I used to make a caribbean spicy, bittersweet brew called "maubi." Street vendors sell it in the Leeward Islands, from Antigua up to the Virgin Islands.
maubi_lady.jpg

Bubbly??
That looks great!! I guess the secret/key is to the sweet tea brewing?
No secret, heat a gallon of water, and a cup of sugar….until sugar is dissolved, but don’t boil. Turn the heat off and add 8 black tea bags. I literally use the cheapest store brand….steep for 5 minutes and remove the bags without squeezing. Cover and let cool to room temp, overnight is best. Add that and the starter to the jar and cover. The magic happens over the next 15-30+ days. The yeast eats the sugar, slowly making the kombucha less sweet and more tart…you’ll find your preferred spot to start the second ferment eventually…..mine is 25 days, it’s a bit more tart than sweet, but not overly acidic. Once you add the fermented kombucha to the bottles with more food for the yeast (in the form of fruit/aromatics) and contain the co2 (capping the bottles) it will naturally become fizzy

M
No secret, heat a gallon of water, and a cup of sugar….until sugar is dissolved, but don’t boil. Turn the heat off and add 8 black tea bags. I literally use the cheapest store brand….steep for 5 minutes and remove the bags without squeezing. Cover and let cool to room temp, overnight is best. Add that and the starter to the jar and cover. The magic happens over the next 15-30+ days. The yeast eats the sugar, slowly making the kombucha less sweet and more tart…you’ll find your preferred spot to start the second ferment eventually…..mine is 25 days, it’s a bit more tart than sweet, but not overly acidic. Once you add the fermented kombucha to the bottles with more food for the yeast (in the form of fruit/aromatics) and contain the co2 (capping the bottles) it will naturally become fizzy
You ever think of trying to make it medicated I wonder if f thca would decarb in the fermentation you could use raw bud for flavor. You could add medicated honey you ever have jun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back