Iriee Vibez Grows With Loving Soil

Blueberry Comparison
This update will be focused on the Dutch Passion AutoBlueberry. It is on Day 28 now, and is already taller than the Autoseeds Gorilla Glue that is on Day 43 in the tent. before this Blueberry, that plant was the tallest and will probably be my highest yielder since I switched to organic growing. I am so impressed with her early and strong growth that I decided to check on where my last Blueberry was at Day 28. Here she is:

Blueberry Comp - 2.jpg

I remember being disappointed that she started flowering at Day 26, being so short. She surprisingly turned out great. Giving me about 2.5 ounces of some amazing weed.

Blueberry Comp 2 - 2.jpg
Blueberry Comp 2 - 1.jpg

I loved the weed so much, that I didn't think twice in putting another seed from the pack directly in the soil in the same pot I harvested her from. I amended with some compost and dry amendments, and would have been very happy with the exact same results.

I am excited to see what this one will look like. Of course, I have to make sure she is all she can be during flower, but I am thinking she will one day surpass her seed pack mate!

Here she is at Day 28. Great height and she has the internodal spacing to stack like her sister did. It's a good thing too, as my Blueberry jar is in grave need of a refill.

Blueberry Comp - 1.jpg

i am really looking forward to my outdoor grow. Haven’t been this excited in a while. The four strains that I am growing, Green Crack, Blue Dream, Strawberry Banana, and Honey Cream have been on my list and in my personal seed vault for years. And the EarthBox soil is built up and primed. Check out the mycelium in these bad boys!

17A13249-6F8F-4886-85A9-417DCA7727B7.jpeg
FDE99BB9-ECD7-420D-8B4B-52ECD910CF82.jpeg

After harvesting the Mephisto autos from the earthboxes, I just pulled the top rootballs out, leaving most of the roots and soil in tact. I then top dressed with some compost, EWC, bokashi, and neem and karanga meal. In this sip system, the water is on the bottom, and encourages bacteria and fungal growth, creating a perfect playground for happy microbes!

I think the plants will dig it when transplanted in a couple weeks. Three of the four broke ground today. Let’s get this grow started already!

27F26D7E-20E5-4EFC-9A34-3967A4750845.jpeg

i am really looking forward to my outdoor grow. Haven’t been this excited in a while. The four strains that I am growing, Green Crack, Blue Dream, Strawberry Banana, and Honey Cream have been on my list and in my personal seed vault for years. And the EarthBox soil is built up and primed. Check out the mycelium in these bad boys!

View attachment 1205061View attachment 1205062

After harvesting the Mephisto autos from the earthboxes, I just pulled the top rootballs out, leaving most of the roots and soil in tact. I then top dressed with some compost, EWC, bokashi, and neem and karanga meal. In this sip system, the water is on the bottom, and encourages bacteria and fungal growth, creating a perfect playground for happy microbes!

I think the plants will dig it when transplanted in a couple weeks. Three of the four broke ground today. Let’s get this grow started already!

View attachment 1205063
That looks great man can't wait to check them out those are all top quality genetics so should be impressive. Sending good vibes and karma ur way.

That looks great man can't wait to check them out those are all top quality genetics so should be impressive. Sending good vibes and karma ur way.

thanks for the good Karma, Fitzy!! I will need it!

HI Iriee
Great shape and form to your solo cups.
It looks to me they are getting very high levels of light.
The serrations turned up (what I call Dragon/Crocodile teeth) shows the plants is receiving very high levels of light.
1593073698767.png
1593073924362.png

The tops of the plants are also a paler green, which is one of two things the start of Light Toxicity or Nitrogen def.
I can assure you it is not N def and that it is the start of Light Toxicity all though not at an extreme rate.
You may have noticed that my Solo Cups were also going to a more lime green at the tops, so my light got moved up.
I don't see any leaf tip burn which makes me think, it is not nute burn.
With such small pots there are many possible hazards which can effect growth.
Great you are feeding twice a day, this is the only way they can really flourish and put on good growth.
As I mentioned your solo cup is a great shape and size and hopefully should pick up and be on the way to being a stunner!
Just keep an eye on light levels, the serrations will let you know by how much they are turned up.
Light toxicity should not be confused with leaf tacoing where the leaf folds up along the length!
DP Blueberry is a favorite of mine too!
2.5 Oz is a nice respectable weight, good growing brother!
That mycelium is bonkers by the way!
Happy growing mate, can't wait to see what you next grow yields!

Hey Arty, thanks for checking in. My solo cup grow was a fail. I move them away from the light after that pic was taken. After that pic, the crocodile teeth turned to brown leaves, which eventually crumbled. It all happened so fast. I decided to abort. During this time, we also had seven straight days of 100 degree weather here in Northern California. I couldn’t keep the cabinet below 90 during the day. I figured that the small cups contributed to their tolerance. I also found it difficult to feed them nutes when everything else I am doing was organic soil. I got out of the habit of phing and testing ppm since I went organic, and realized that this wouldn’t work with growing with Megacrop. I attributed some of what happened with the leaves to be ph based. Though I never test my water or soil any more. Bad habit, I know, but I have become spoiled.

I do want to try again, but would like to try growing with compost teas, top dressing dry amendments, and foliar feeds, which is similar to my current style of growing. Do you know of anyone who has successfully grown in a solo cup this way, @arty zan?

Hey Arty, thanks for checking in. My solo cup grow was a fail. I move them away from the light after that pic was taken. After that pic, the crocodile teeth turned to brown leaves, which eventually crumbled. It all happened so fast. I decided to abort. During this time, we also had seven straight days of 100 degree weather here in Northern California. I couldn’t keep the cabinet below 90 during the day. I figured that the small cups contributed to their tolerance. I also found it difficult to feed them nutes when everything else I am doing was organic soil. I got out of the habit of phing and testing ppm since I went organic, and realized that this wouldn’t work with growing with Megacrop. I attributed some of what happened with the leaves to be ph based. Though I never test my water or soil any more. Bad habit, I know, but I have become spoiled.

I do want to try again, but would like to try growing with compost teas, top dressing dry amendments, and foliar feeds, which is similar to my current style of growing. Do you know of anyone who has successfully grown in a solo cup this way, @arty zan?
Hi bud:bighug:
My pleasure to drop by, especially after you visited my grow!:headbang:
I hear you on temps it is 32C (87.8 F) where I am in the UK add to that the heat from the lights (even when they are LED) and the cab temp goes beyond where I am happy. So today I have the lights off and just have fans going. It will cool down tomorrow, so it will be back to business as usual.
7 days with temps @ 100F that is no joke right there. I feel for you in those temps. That can really affect a grow!:fire:
:ph:pHing is a must when growing with salt based nutes, as is fairly frequent calibration of meters, to make sure the meters are giving you accurate readings.
Generally speaking salt based feeds need to be PH'd & EC'd/ PPM'd as they are very concentrated.
Organic feeds aren't able to be PPM/EC'd accurately and not all organic nutes are PH'd either, so to follow the manufacturer's general feed guide, should be followed, mills per liter. Some Organic nutes will require PHing - read the general guidance first.

Top feeding probably isn't the way forward with solo cups, as the size of the pot is so small.:nono:
What tends to happen is the roots get so root bound, that trying to water from the top becomes near impossible as the nutrient solution finds it hard to drain through on account of the many tightly packed roots.
So a tip from me, is to bottom feed, this way they drink what they need.
Once the plant gets to a certain size they will need 2 bottom feeds a day, you will learn how much to give them as they drink it up.

So if you wanted to do it organically, then something like Biobizz would be where I would go and once the roots are packed , bottom feed with it.
If you do use Biobizz as a bottom feed, i would use "BioBizz Grow" and not the "Fish Mix" which is an alternate veg feed from BioBizz.
Fish Mix as you might guess is made from fish and to bottom feed that would get things mighty stink in you grow space.
You will still want to PH to the Biobizz recommended guidelines.
You could also try a one part nutrient but you would also have to PH that as well.
I know where you are coming from with PHing and checking PPM/EC, it can be a real pain!
I hate mixing nutes but it is just part of how I grow in coco, so I have to just get on with it,although doing so can be a real chore after a hard day at work and you just want to sit on your arse and not have go mix nutes.

Final thoughts, solo cups do best with a hydroponic style of growing, soil tends to get too packed and not enough air can get to the roots.
Something like coco with clay pebbles or Perlite added for a super airy mix, tends to work best.
You can add Perlite to soil to make it more airy but then you lose the benefit of the nutrients in the soil and there is so little soil any nute in it get used up far too quickly. At which point you may as well feed them, with a salt based nute in an inert medium like coco.

I hope this is of some help to you!
:pass:

Hi bud:bighug:
My pleasure to drop by, especially after you visited my grow!:headbang:
I hear you on temps it is 32C (87.8 F) where I am in the UK add to that the heat from the lights (even when they are LED) and the cab temp goes beyond where I am happy. So today I have the lights off and just have fans going. It will cool down tomorrow, so it will be back to business as usual.
7 days with temps @ 100F that is no joke right there. I feel for you in those temps. That can really affect a grow!:fire:
:ph:pHing is a must when growing with salt based nutes, as is fairly frequent calibration of meters, to make sure the meters are giving you accurate readings.
Generally speaking salt based feeds need to be PH'd & EC'd/ PPM'd as they are very concentrated.
Organic feeds aren't able to be PPM/EC'd accurately and not all organic nutes are PH'd either, so to follow the manufacturer's general feed guide, should be followed, mills per liter. Some Organic nutes will require PHing - read the general guidance first.

Top feeding probably isn't the way forward with solo cups, as the size of the pot is so small.:nono:
What tends to happen is the roots get so root bound, that trying to water from the top becomes near impossible as the nutrient solution finds it hard to drain through on account of the many tightly packed roots.
So a tip from me, is to bottom feed, this way they drink what they need.
Once the plant gets to a certain size they will need 2 bottom feeds a day, you will learn how much to give them as they drink it up.

So if you wanted to do it organically, then something like Biobizz would be where I would go and once the roots are packed , bottom feed with it.
If you do use Biobizz as a bottom feed, i would use "BioBizz Grow" and not the "Fish Mix" which is an alternate veg feed from BioBizz.
Fish Mix as you might guess is made from fish and to bottom feed that would get things mighty stink in you grow space.
You will still want to PH to the Biobizz recommended guidelines.
You could also try a one part nutrient but you would also have to PH that as well.
I know where you are coming from with PHing and checking PPM/EC, it can be a real pain!
I hate mixing nutes but it is just part of how I grow in coco, so I have to just get on with it,although doing so can be a real chore after a hard day at work and you just want to sit on your arse and not have go mix nutes.

Final thoughts, solo cups do best with a hydroponic style of growing, soil tends to get too packed and not enough air can get to the roots.
Something like coco with clay pebbles or Perlite added for a super airy mix, tends to work best.
You can add Perlite to soil to make it more airy but then you lose the benefit of the nutrients in the soil and there is so little soil any nute in it get used up far too quickly. At which point you may as well feed them, with a salt based nute in an inert medium like coco.

I hope this is of some help to you!
:pass:

Thanks Arty! That is a big help, and it confirms what I was thinking. I can’t approach the solo cup grow as an ‘add on’, but have to commit to it instead. When I grew with DWC, my life was spent mixing, phing, and checking ppm/EC.. sometimes twice a day when there were swings. I don’t miss that stuff at all.

Before I read your post, I put a couple seeds in cups with organic soil, so I am gonna give it a go. I have some Thrive.N organic fertilizer that I typically use as a foliar feed, but I will bottom feed with it. I will skip the top dressing, based on your advice. i may have to break down and start measuring again if I see any signs of trouble. If this latest attempt doesn’t work, I may have to hang up my solo cup dreams and get that third pot of soil back in there.

I will keep you posted, my friend. Thanks again for the solo cup growing education!

cheers! :pass:

Back