It makes me happy to see you using the same $10 moisture meter that I use.
It ain't fancy, but it does the job. Sure, it is not precision calibrated, but it is consistent and very helpful.

What about moisture at different levels in the soil?
That's me all over…bloody cheapskate… I judge it roughly about ⅔ of the way down the pot, the bottom will always be slightly more moist but i want to try to encourage as much healthy root mass throughout the pot as i can.

as soon as the needle on the meter gets halfway that's when i hit them, the reason for not letting them dry out too much is because i'm using organic nutes

Dammit, the tidbits you causally drop are priceless.
People tend to say useless stuff like "keep the soil moist".
Which obviously is too vague because Every Single Newbie over waters their first plant.

I let the soil get down to 2 on the meter because the plants seems to grow better guessing from the CO2 consumption. But I forgot about the micro herd! Maybe I should keep the soil a little wetter?

I know we have different soils and our meters will be calibrated a bit different,
but what does your meter show when the plants just start to wilt?

Last edited:
Wow - Three days have passed already, and it's all rocking! :)

Great journal as always Hazy! Love watching your grows!

:pighug:

:pop: Great photography already, I know we're all pumped to see this show with the new gear from Dutch Passion. :woody:
I'm practically ready to smoke those first true leaves based on the trichs. Yummy. haha. This is gonna be fun. :coffee:

Dammit, the tidbits you causally drop are priceless.
People tend to say useless stuff like "keep the soil moist".
Which obviously is too vague because Every Single Newbie over waters their first plant.

I let the soil get down to 2 on the meter because the plants seems to grow better guessing from the CO2 consumption. But I forgot about the micro herd! Maybe I should keep the soil a little wetter?

I know we have different soils and our meters will be calibrated a bit different,
but what does your meter show when the plants just start to wilt?

If you're getting good results doing what you're doing…then just roll with it, as you say these are cheap meters so your 2 could be my 3 or 4…. i never really see wilting unless i neglect to keep an eye on what i'm doing, that's why a cheap meter like this is a must in my garden. Still enjoying life on the roller coaster ?

0lxUsKu.jpg

Wow - Three days have passed already, and it's all rocking! :)

Great journal as always Hazy! Love watching your grows!

:pighug:

thanks my favourite blue haired giggler. :d5:

utEWiAy.jpg

:pop: Great photography already, I know we're all pumped to see this show with the new gear from Dutch Passion. :woody:
I'm practically ready to smoke those first true leaves based on the trichs. Yummy. haha. This is gonna be fun. :coffee:

Dutch Passion have never failed to impress me with their Autos…really don't think this should be any different .. Here is the baby of the group this one has much thinner leaves than the others…can't wait to see how they all develop over the coming weeks.

d8GqJQf.jpg

thanks everyone for dropping by and reminding me why this is the best forum out there.

Looking great bro. I've tried 24/0 several times and their is no noticeable difference in growth to me when compared to 20/4 the only thing I've seen is you get more deficiency issues under 24/0 if your not on point.

Looking great bro. I've tried 24/0 several times and their is no noticeable difference in growth to me when compared to 20/4 the only thing I've seen is you get more deficiency issues under 24/0 if your not on point.

Cheers brother for the heads up… after Grim pointing out the possibility of burning out a ballast, i've been out today and got a timer today, so it's back to 20/4 for me for the time being, i mean i had already taken pics in previous grows of the growth before and after lights out and they still grew when the lights were out. This is now a cancelled experiment, back to what i know.

Cheers brother for the heads up… after Grim pointing out the possibility of burning out a ballast, i've been out today and got a timer today, so it's back to 20/4 for me for the time being, i mean i had already taken pics in previous grows of the growth before and after lights out and they still grew when the lights were out. This is now a cancelled experiment, back to what i know.

Cute little baby, Hazy, very nice.

I am not sure about ballast, but bulb definitelly lasts healthy longer if permanently on.

Factors of wear come mostly from on/off cycles versus the total on time. The highest wear occurs when the HID burner is ignited while still hot and before the metallic salts have recrystallized. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

I run my HS1 24/0 and it is true what Tang says. No visible difference in growth and light defficiencies on upper leaves. Not severe, but looks like Mg def. and does not get away with adding Calmag. But not getting worse so far. But I would be happy with invisible difference too and as long as plants stand still and turn leaves towards light source it is just fine. I position lights so that light is not top-down, but angled and I see that leaves are permanently sucking light and stay turned towards LEDs.

And I run them so, because they are effective, burn little fuel and are not very strong, only 75W used per plant. With stronger light per plant, lets say I would use 2 HS1 on a single one, I would not dare to run 24/0.

There are many factors to consider when deciding about 24/0 but I think we all agree that it does not bring big changes. Well, some of us hope for small ones at least.

Good Luck!

Cute little baby, Hazy, very nice.

I am not sure about ballast, but bulb definitelly lasts healthy longer if permanently on.

Factors of wear come mostly from on/off cycles versus the total on time. The highest wear occurs when the HID burner is ignited while still hot and before the metallic salts have recrystallized. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

I run my HS1 24/0 and it is true what Tang says. No visible difference in growth and light defficiencies on upper leaves. Not severe, but looks like Mg def. and does not get away with adding Calmag. But not getting worse so far. But I would be happy with invisible difference too and as long as plants stand still and turn leaves towards light source it is just fine. I position lights so that light is not top-down, but angled and I see that leaves are permanently sucking light and stay turned towards LEDs.

And I run them so, because they are effective, burn little fuel and are not very strong, only 75W used per plant. With stronger light per plant, lets say I would use 2 HS1 on a single one, I would not dare to run 24/0.

There are many factors to consider when deciding about 24/0 but I think we all agree that it does not bring big changes. Well, some of us hope for small ones at least.

Good Luck!

Hey Gonzo…thanks for the link good read…:pass:

Back