Indoor Oscorp Industries - Living Organics with Green Goblin

Day 7

Temp- 79°F
Humidity- 66%

IMG_20180824_001326.jpg
IMG_20180824_001312.jpg
IMG_20180824_001439.jpg

A soil mix for those interested to try out..It comes from Microbeherder on IG..Great grower and very healthy plants..Check him out..Now on to the mix.

1 part compost ( Malibu,Oly Mountain,home made )
1 part aeration ( perlite,pumice,lava rock,rice hulls ) Whichever you prefer
1 part peat moss ( You can go 50/50 peat moss & coco if you'd like )

PER Cubic Foot of the above base mix..So every 6.4 gallons of basemix..For autos aim a little higher than 6.4

1/4 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 cup oyster shell flour
3/4 cup kelp meal
1/2 cup insect frass
3/4 cup glacial rock dust

Other than 2 compost extracts & 2 waterings with fish hydrolysate to promote fungal biomass he has used nothing but water.

Just an option for those interested.I personally have not run this mix but on paper it looks solid and from observing his grows it is a winner..I'd imagine you may have to thin it out some because he grows primarily photos but other than that I'd give it a thumbs up even before trying it myself.

Inoculant for Compost Tea

Worm castings and aerobic compost are the best inoculant choices. Worm castings are a great inoculant because worms use bacteria instead of digestive acids in their stomachs to break down food. The castings are rich in beneficial microorganisms, some of which have been found to be effective in breaking down certain contaminants. Worm castings are also a source of humic acid, which is a good food source for your tea. Similarly, good aerobic compost (especially thermophilic compost) is a great inoculant; if made properly, it should be full of beneficial microorganisms.

The quality of the compost used to make compost tea is really critical. The tea can only amplify the biology already present in the compost. So you want an incredibly biologically active compost, ideally one that has at least both bacteria and fungi, to serve as your inoculant. Compost piles that have been curing for three to six months are more likely to be fungal-dominated, while piles that have been curing for one to three months, tend to be more bacteria-dominated. I’ve heard several compost tea experts say that it can be difficult to get a good amount of fungi. If you can use a more fungal-dominated compost pile as an inoculant, that could give you a bit of an advantage. If you also happen to be cultivating mushrooms, you could try adding spent spawn to your compost to increase its fungal load.

Bacteria are very easy to grow in your tea — they are easy to extract and they like growing in the water. If you test your tea and find it to be fungi deficient but strong in bacteria, it is still good for inoculating your site with beneficial bacteria. You will just have to find another way to get replenish the fungi in your soil food web.

Food Sources for Your Compost Tea

The food sources you add to your compost tea will determine the composition of microorganisms that grow in it, as bacteria and fungi favor different food sources. Different recipes I found called for different ingredients, and these different ingredients allow you to select for a more bacterial or fungal tea. A mixture of these foods will create a tea with both bacteria and fungi, which is ideal for the remediation of contaminants.

Food sources for bacteria include simple sugars, simple proteins and simple carbohydrates. The most commonly used food source in compost tea recipes seems to be unsulphured molasses. Some other bacteria food sources include fruit juice, cane syrup and fish emulsion. Food for fungi include complex sugars, amino sugars and complex proteins. The most commonly used compost tea food sources for fungi are fish hydrolysate, kelp/seaweed and humic acid. Some additional food sources include fulvic acids, soybean meal, oat bran, oatmeal, fish oils, cellulose, lignin, cutins, rock phosphate dust, fruit pulp (oranges, apples and blueberries) and aloe vera extract (without preservatives). The more types of food added, the greater the diversity of species of microorganisms likely to be present.

Back