Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any computer techs/builders? We had an accident at the track that Put a large power surge through the computer. Wondering if I'll just need to replace the power supply or is the whole thing toasted (hard drives, ram, graphics card, etc
I'm a retired Industrial maintenance computer/tech that's trying my best to forget but yes if part availability is good and cost effectiveness works run with it. Before purchasing parts check power supply with a meter to make sure it is dead. They sometimes smell burnt when fried :pop:

Any computer techs/builders? We had an accident at the track that Put a large power surge through the computer. Wondering if I'll just need to replace the power supply or is the whole thing toasted (hard drives, ram, graphics card, etc
Uncouple PS cable, meter output to rest of system. (no power) open PS, check for fuse.....if completely dead only way to check rest of system is new/different PS........maybe someone has compatable type in home setup you can test with bearing mind it might get fried if major short further into system.

20211212_114522.jpg

On the hunt for another laptop after convo with forums and Dell . Seems the lil fvckers have basically throttled this model G3 display output to 60hz in the BIOS even if you hook it to a 144hz external monitor. A 1050Ti gpu should have no problem hitting 120hz and usually does well with 144hz. I for the life of me will never understand the minds of engineers that design these things. 2018 they put out a G3 with i5 8th-9th gen with a gtx 1650/gtx 1650Ti then in 2019 the up the cpu to i7 8750H and dumb it down with a 1050/ 1050Ti........freaking engineers. :deadhorse:

Uncouple PS cable, meter output to rest of system. (no power) open PS, check for fuse.....if completely dead only way to check rest of system is new/different PS........maybe someone has compatable type in home setup you can test with bearing mind it might get fried if major short further into system.
Looking for compatible power source. There's black marks where it was plugged into the surge protector (one side of that is fried)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back