Got the house to myself everyone went to the cottage for the weekend :cooldance::lildab:

1722639190158.gif

I'm super baked. I've been reading about how fast something has to move to produce a sonic boom, and I think Guile from Street Fighter II whose signature move is a sonic boom, is pure fucking bullshit. These guys on a reddit thread figured out and calculated his actual arm speed based on science and the frames of animation from the game lol. And it just doesn't add up.

Also, according to Nasa, sonic booms produced by aircraft flying supersonic at altitudes of less than 100 feet, creating between 20 and 144 pounds overpressure, have been experienced by humans without injury.

Damage to eardrums can be expected when overpressures reach 720 pounds.

Overpressures of 2160 pounds would have to be generated to produce lung damage.

A sonic boom occurs around 750 miles per hour at sea level, or convert to meters per second comes out to about 335 m/second.

From the nerds of reddit:

Givens:

• Guile's Weight: 99kg
  • Hand Weight: 0.65% of weight = .644kg probably more cause his hands are beefy. We'll say .75kg
  • Time to move from behind him to extended in front: 2 frames = .03334 seconds
Work:

So for the distance here's how I'd do it

182cm tall, or 1.82m tall. I like the assumption that wing span is the same as height, so assuming his torso is about 20" from shoulder to shoulder, his arms are going to be .656m per arm

20" = .506m, so 1.82-.508 = 1.312m or .656m for each arm.

Guile keeps his arms slightly bent the whole time and only curls them on the follow through after the boom, so we can assume he moves his arms as two rotating bars of length .5m

6" less length cause bent = .1524m, so total length is about .5m

Since they are moving as one solid block, they act as a rotating bar, so speed at his fist is going to be .87266 m

100 degree rotation = 1.7453 radians at .5m is .87266 m

That distance is done in .03334 seconds so assuming he has constant speed over that whole time, which probably isn't true gives him a speed of 26 m/s for his fists. That's fucking fast. A more accurate speed would be looking at just one frame, where he moves his arm 90 degrees, giving him a total speed of 23.56 m/s. We'll use this.

So he has a punching speed of around 23.56 m/s.

The average punch/jab speed of a boxer is around 8.9 to 11.5 m/s.

So he can punch pretty fast, but according to science, not fast enough to actually produce a sonic boom. He's certainly not producing much overpressure regardless.

In real life, if you fought Guile, you'd beat his ass with a pair of ear plugs in or if you're simply above the age of 40 or went to a lot of loud concerts.

I'm super baked. I've been reading about how fast something has to move to produce a sonic boom, and I think Guile from Street Fighter II whose signature move is a sonic boom, is pure fucking bullshit. These guys on a reddit thread figured out and calculated his actual arm speed based on science and the frames of animation from the game lol. And it just doesn't add up.

Also, according to Nasa, sonic booms produced by aircraft flying supersonic at altitudes of less than 100 feet, creating between 20 and 144 pounds overpressure, have been experienced by humans without injury.

Damage to eardrums can be expected when overpressures reach 720 pounds.

Overpressures of 2160 pounds would have to be generated to produce lung damage.

A sonic boom occurs around 750 miles per hour at sea level, or convert to meters per second comes out to about 335 m/second.

From the nerds of reddit:

So he has a punching speed of around 23.56 m/s.

The average punch/jab speed of a boxer is around 8.9 to 11.5 m/s.

So he can punch pretty fast, but according to science, not fast enough to actually produce a sonic boom. He's certainly not producing much overpressure regardless.

In real life, if you fought Guile, you'd beat his ass with a pair of ear plugs in or if you're simply above the age of 40 or went to a lot of loud concerts.
calculation-math.gif

Back