Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
❓‍newbie question. Can I do the germination using filtered tapwater (my fridge has a water purifying filter, which I’ve used. I haven’t Ph tested it, didn’t think I had to because I’m doing a living soil grow.

Or, do I need to get distilled water? I’m just about to take the seeds out of a hydrogen peroxide soak, and I panicked!
Hydrogen Peroxide soak?
Are you softening, sterilizing and chemically scarifying old seeds for germination?
Or is it for new seeds?
What percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide do you use?

Thanks fo asking!

Hydrogen Peroxide soak?

YES

Are you softening, sterilizing and chemically scarifying old seeds for germination?

Or is it for new seeds? YES -new seeds Fast Seeds

What percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide do you use?

3% (used 50% of 6% solution)

Using a method shared by a forum member @Olderfart
... sandpaper & soak, moving to paper towel method...

I Resisted buying one for me Mother coz she is a worse technophobe than me...I Inherited it off her.... :biggrin: ...so I didn't expect her to use it....But..
she says it is the best thing anyone has bought her...30 quid...:shrug:

My Mother is extremely Lucky that she has family close...and gets lots of visits..daily....but you cannot underestimate the little things they Miss when they are at home alone.

My son set it up so that it would say Good Night to her every evening...and it meant a Lot to her...that she had something to do that..
Funny little things that mean a Lot.

He has it set up to remind her to take the keys out the back door at 9 pm every night...so if she does need help..they can get in...
She can ask it to play her favourite music...and it costs nowt...coz it is all so old.....:biggrin:

The genius for her is voice control....if she had to press buttons for functions...she'd get Lost.....:biggrin:....and I Think she Treats it as Company..
I don't even have to wonder if she has two way conversations with it.....:crying:..coz I know she will be.
This is basically my grandma, my grandpa has been gone for almost 5 years now so she keeps the kids alot to stave off the lonely but of course they can't stay with her during the week. She's awful with tech and only just upgraded from her circa 2005 flip phone to a smartphone lol.

Good Morfnoevight All you Cool AFN Cats. EO and a fine double shot it was this morning. Brazil/Guatemala blend roasted to just fullcity and 8 days off of the roast. It was very good indeed.

Happy Caturday!
a cool cat.png

I just don't see how that helps. Other than planting in a lite nute media for a seedling, I don't see any benefit to layering of any kind in the set up of a pot.
@Mañ'O'Green can you kindly have a look at my question? It’s been suggested you may be able to help. Thank you.

Layering of different soil mixtures or types is a bad idea for several reasons. The first is the physics of how water percolates down through soil. If there is a strata between the layers the top layer must become saturated before the water will penetrate the next layer. This can cause dry pockets in the lower layer. The soil there can become hydrophobic = repels water and roots and microbes there can die. Many microbes will go dormant. It is difficult to re-wet that soil without messing with the nutrient balance in the pot. The second Idea that people submit as a reason to stratify the nutrient layers is that the plant will grow into that layer when the plant needs the different nutrients. This is a fallacy because a cannabis tap root can grow 9 inches in three days. So it will be to the bottom of the pot long before the plant has aged to need a different nutrient profile. Worse yet is the tap root may stop growing if it hits a layer too hot for it and my even die. The laterals will eventually grow into it but by then the plant may be stunted.

Clay pebbles have a couple of problems. The first is they must be PH balanced. The cheap one are not and will cause havoc throughout the grow sometimes even killing it. They may harbor virus and pathogens when used in successive plantings. They can form a stratified layer in a pot causing the water to create soggy conditions above them. In an auto pot system the biggest problem is in the first two weeks when you are top watering. If the stratification takes place salt will build up in the layer line causing nutrient problems later that are wronly atributed to turning on the autopot. After the autopot is running the stratification problem goes away because the lower layer has no problem becoming saturated and the water will continue to wick up. I personally have not used an auto pot but these are the observations I have made here on AFN. Don't use clay pebbles. Just good quality coco is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back