Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unseasonable cold patch last season killed me bananas off...they rotted off to soil level....I Thought they were gone...
But..the core was still alive.....and now I've got loads of new shoots......... :pass: ..unfortunately...I have no idea how me and hubby are going to get them out of the bin to transplant them....:biggrin:.....the weight is humongus......

IMG_1641.JPG

I would not order any pollen until our summer is over, i think the heat would kill it but i would love to get some cheaper pollen than that, maybe more options will pop up later.
Just buy someone's STS and make your own pollen.
Twenty20 makes some.

Morning @Bill.de.Cat ...chlorophyll Officially tastes like Bum.............. :crying: ..I've found nothing that effectively covers the Taste...even the great taste muffler coke a cola....
The nicer a bud smells..the worse the tincture tastes...:biggrin:....But..the concentrated chlorophyll is Worth the pain of taking it....:headbang:

99% alcohol?
That sounds like "Isopropyl alcohol" was used for this extraction, as "ethanol" has a max % of 95.6% ABV.
You can also get wsomething called "absolute ethanol" which is 99-100% AVB.

Some procedures that are sensitive to the presence of water require absolute ethanol.
A common method to produce ethanol with a higher concentration than 95% is to use additives that disrupt the azeotrope composition and allow further distillation.
For this reason, absolute ethanol contains trace amounts of these additives (such as benzene).
I really don't expect anyone to even get hold of "absolute ethanol" and you wouldn't want to use it, with the additives it has in it.

Which is why when I saw 99% I instantly thought it sounded like "isopropyl" which is consistently sold at a max of 99-99.9% ABV.

Isopropyl is mildly toxic and shouldn't be used for "tinctures" (a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol) as it will turn to acetone in the liver.
Even when making Qwiso (quick wash iso extraction) the isopropyl needs to be completely evaporated off before consuming.
Low concentrations of residual "isopropanol" can cause gastric disturbances, while higher concentrations can be lethal.

It is always best to use "food grade" ethyl/ethanol for extractions and tinctures.
Never ever use "denatured alcohol" which is designed to be toxic and unsuitable for human consumption.
In the USA Everclear or 151 rum can be used.
In the UK "food grade ethanol" can be bought on ebay @ around £30 a liter (just make sure you search for "food grade"!!!

OK safety bit over.

Now to to the matter at hand - how to reduce the amount of chlorophyll in a "tincture" or "qwet" (quick wash ethanol extraction).

Solvents fall into one of two categories "polar" or "non-polar".

Non-polar solvents, like propane and butane, dissolve the non-polar compounds like lipids, oils, and waxes comprising the trichome heads.

Polar solvents, like ethanol extract polar compounds. Water insoluble molecules, like chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b,are naturally soluble in alcohols like ethanol.

Ethanol is both "polar" and "non polar" so it extracts both oil soluble and water soluble compounds.

However there is a way we can reduce the "polar" (water soluble) element of "ethanol".

At warmer temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "polar soluble" compounds.
Conversely, at colder temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "non polar" compounds.

So the trick would be to chill you weed and "ethanol" before you start the "qwet" extraction process.
This will significantly reduce chlorophyll in you tincture but not completely remove it.
However a hint of "arse" is still better than, the full on taste of "arse"!:haha::eyebrows:

Further safety note - "alcohol tinctures" should not be given to recovering alcoholics.

99% alcohol?
That sounds like "Isopropyl alcohol" was used for this extraction, as "ethanol" has a max % of 95.6% ABV.
You can also get wsomething called "absolute ethanol" which is 99-100% AVB.

Some procedures that are sensitive to the presence of water require absolute ethanol.
A common method to produce ethanol with a higher concentration than 95% is to use additives that disrupt the azeotrope composition and allow further distillation.
For this reason, absolute ethanol contains trace amounts of these additives (such as benzene).
I really don't expect anyone to even get hold of "absolute ethanol" and you wouldn't want to use it, with the additives it has in it.

Which is why when I saw 99% I instantly thought it sounded like "isopropyl" which is consistently sold at a max of 99-99.9% ABV.

Isopropyl is mildly toxic and shouldn't be used for "tinctures" (a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol) as it will turn to acetone in the liver.
Even when making Qwiso (quick wash iso extraction) the isopropyl needs to be completely evaporated off before consuming.
Low concentrations of residual "isopropanol" can cause gastric disturbances, while higher concentrations can be lethal.

It is always best to use "food grade" ethyl/ethanol for extractions and tinctures.
Never ever use "denatured alcohol" which is designed to be toxic and unsuitable for human consumption.
In the USA Everclear or 151 rum can be used.
In the UK "food grade ethanol" can be bought on ebay @ around £30 a liter (just make sure you search for "food grade"!!!

OK safety bit over.

Now to to the matter at hand - how to reduce the amount of chlorophyll in a "tincture" or "qwet" (quick wash ethanol extraction).

Solvents fall into one of two categories "polar" or "non-polar".

Non-polar solvents, like propane and butane, dissolve the non-polar compounds like lipids, oils, and waxes comprising the trichome heads.

Polar solvents, like ethanol extract polar compounds. Water insoluble molecules, like chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b,are naturally soluble in alcohols like ethanol.

Ethanol is both "polar" and "non polar" so it extracts both oil soluble and water soluble compounds.

However there is a way we can reduce the "polar" (water soluble) element of "ethanol".

At warmer temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "polar soluble" compounds.
Conversely, at colder temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "non polar" compounds.

So the trick would be to chill you weed and "ethanol" before you start the "qwet" extraction process.
This will significantly reduce chlorophyll in you tincture but not completely remove it.
However a hint of "arse" is still better than, the full on taste of "arse"!:haha::eyebrows:

Further safety note - "alcohol tinctures" should not be given to recovering alcoholics.

Vodka @arty zan :bighug: ....evaporate 50-75% for tincture...still tastes like a dead bears arse.........:crying:

IMG_1388.JPG

Afternoon @WildBill ... :pass: ...sharing one........how is the Triffid......?

View attachment 1350387
WOW!!!
Just an early Sunday morning. trying to get into my good zone with some canna coffee. By the time it kicks in, it should be daylight and I can get my big Haze rez filled for another hot day. I'll take my Evolve Vape loaded with temple ball hash and have a nice vapey vape and fresh coffee and visit with the outdoor girls. :baked:
Update day, water the big Haze and use the above STS on my raging little Stomper.
The color, sheen and texture do not come thru in the picture. The media is just plain Roots Organic Original with nothing added. She's been watered with condensation from the a/c with some fully water-soluble TerraVital 90 humic acid and fed only with a very high quality and fully water-soluble amino acid. She also received two doses of Terraganix EM1 added to the humic acid water.
Almost toasted her though! I hadn't tested the light she was getting since I set the light height. It was at just over 1000ppfd. All she showed was a tiny bit of leaf twist. I set it back to right at 700. I might back it off a little more today, since The STS will stress it a bit.

I still feel a little bad in reversing her with her looking so damn pretty. This was yesterday, and a quick peek this morning shows quite a bit of change. It's something new and I can put up with 'disturbing' this girl by thinking about all the pretty little seeds I hope to make.
Will probably drop the seed girl Wednesday.
IMG_20210731_102421723_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back