Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
1627824593294.png

Just found Budelee's Avatar and thought I ought to post it!
Smoke a bowl for me brother!
Rest in Peace.

View attachment 1350441
Just found Budelee's Avatar and thought I ought to post it!
Smoke a bowl for me brother!
Rest in Peace.
Makes me sad and I love it lol
Fahhhhkkkk
Remember that big durrrrrty scar from the valve replacements .. oh mannn
That’s right he was a bong guy with me in LS lol and then @derek420colorado was our dab man brother!! Can’t keep up with mountain man tho lol

Death
It's something we all will face someday. I've seen that bastard way too many times and he almost got my ass several times The last time, he whispered in my ear he'll be back someday. In my mind, I told him to f*ck off until then! Some strange crap ya seem to remember from a coma.

Smoking a big chunk of hash for a fallen brother!
RIP budlee !

Ahhhh the powers of lactic acid bacteria (or LABS if u in da know ;) ) but man did it clean up these roots! Had added some fermented kelp to the water for my tomato cuttings and wound up making roots all slimy and all were a funky ass brown color! :(
1C2331DC-CE1F-4CC8-852D-FA00EC05688D.jpeg
8DE93458-567C-41EF-9602-50FF750D9DE5.jpeg

Here’s after only 24hrs using just tribus microbes/lil hydroguard/ + a smidge of LABS! :headbang:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Homemade inputs to the rescue!:woohoo1:
:frog:

I need the link to the testing of a Powdery mildew preventative here on AFN. I can't remember the name of it!. I blame the hash I just hit!
I think we had optic Foliar or something like that. I think budelee had a test run of their stuff and loved it

I need the link to the testing of a Powdery mildew preventative here on AFN. I can't remember the name of it!. I blame the hash I just hit!
@WildBill not sure of the thread of which you speak but here is somer info I had in my archives but forget where from.
I hope one of these methods, helps locate the thread you are looking for.
If not then I hope some of the following helps!

Sodium hydrogen carbonate aka Sodium bicarbonate in a spray bottle, with a wetting agent (soap) will do it.
Application: Make a 0.5–2.0% solution (5–20 grams per liter) of potassium bicarbonate to water. Spray directly onto mildew-infected plant tissue. Repeat weekly.
Ed Rosenthals' method is to use an ounce of potassium bicarbonate, mixed into a gallon of water and 1½ cups of milk.

Bacillus subtilis is a naturally occurring, non-pathogenic, and non-toxicogenic bacterium found in soils and the gastrointestinal tract of humans. The organism feeds on powdery mildew as a nutrition source. It can be applied directly to plants and will die off after eliminating the infection.
Application: Dilute 30 ml (6 tsp) of Cease per gallon of water (non-chlorinated) for foliar sprays. Multiple applications of Bacillus subtilis may be necessary—residual powdery mildew spores in the grow area could reinfect plants.

Bacillus amyloliquefaciens: another naturally occurring, non-pathogenic, and non-toxicogenic species of bacterium in the genus Bacillus. It is used as a biocontrol agent for a range of fungal and bacterial diseases, including leaf septoria, powdery mildew, and downy mildew.
Application: Dilute 1 teaspoon of Garden Friendly Fungicide per gallon of water. Add a wetting agent (optional). Spray the solution directly onto affected plant areas. Multiple applications may be necessary.

Streptomyces lydicus a naturally occurring bacterium commonly found in soil. The Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108 is used as an agent against fungal pathogens. The organism works by establishing itself on plant material, then attacking powdery mildew at its binding site.
Application: Dilute 1–2 teaspoons of Actinovate per gallon of non-chlorinated water. Add a wetting agent (optional). Spray onto mildew-infected areas of the plant. Repeat as necessary. The dilution ratio can be increased for heavy PM infections.

Trifecta Crop Control a concentrated blend designed specifically for medical and legal recreational cannabis cultivators. Using nano-sized essential oils and soap, Crop Control treats and prevents molds, mildews, pests, and parasitic species. The active ingredients are thyme oil, clove oil, garlic oil, peppermint oil, corn oil, rosemary oil, geraniol, and citric acid. Inert ingredients include filtered water, soap, isopropyl alcohol, and vinegar.

Application: For preventative maintenance, dilute ½–1 oz. of Crop Control SC per gallon of water. Apply 1–2 times per week using an atomizer, misting system, or spray bottle. For infestations, use 2–4 oz. and apply every other day.

Apple Cider Vinegar
the same kind used in the kitchen and for home remedies, is a simple solution for controlling powdery mildew on plants. The acetic acid contained in vinegar works to control powdery mildew. Moderate strength; it won’t rid a heavy infection.
Application: Dilute 2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar to a quart of water. Multiple applications may be needed. Be careful not to overdo it—high concentrations of vinegar will burn foliage.

Other Ways To Kill Powdery Mildew

High pH Alkaline Water
Changing the surface pH of cannabis leaves is a technique used to create an uninhabitable environment for powdery mildew. Using alkaline reverse osmosis water is perhaps the safest solution for spraying cannabis buds during the mid/late flowering cycle. However, the effectiveness of this method varies.

Baking Soda
One of the most popular powdery mildew solutions is to use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) diluted in water as a foliar spray on plants. Baking soda works to change the surface pH of the leaf to inhibit powdery mildew growth. Although this may have limited benefit, studies have shown sodium bicarbonate to be less effective than potassium bicarbonate.

Milk
Milk has been shown to help remedy powdery mildew in some trials but not others. The benefit likely comes from the probiotic lactobacillus. Just be careful of spraying flowering plants with milk—the proteins create a suitable environment for gray mold to grow. Low-fat, skim milk is preferred, as the fats present in whole milk will turn rancid.

Neem Oil
Years ago, we would recommend neem oil for powdery mildew prevention and control.

However, we cannot recommend it anymore due to various discussions linking the chemical Azadirachtin, an active ingredient found in neem oil, to a condition known as cannabis hyperemesis syndrome.[4]

Furthermore, neem oil makes buds oily and smelly—another reason to avoid it altogether, especially during the cannabis plant’s flowering cycle.

UVC Light
Shortwave UV radiation (UVC) kills powdery mildew, but it is also harmful to humans and plants at certain levels. While the sun produces UVC radiation naturally, it is absorbed by the ozone layer. There are UVC lights for sale marketed to cannabis growers—they must be kept at a minimal intensity and used with protective shields to prevent overexposure. For more information, read this UVC hazards sheet.

Of the UVC methods available, manually applying UVC light to mildew-infected plants presents the most danger. There’s a fine line between eliminating the powdery mildew with UVC and causing DNA damage in plants.

The safest UVC solution to powdery mildew is purely preventative—installed in protected germicidal air filtration units. UVC air filtration can be installed in heating, air conditioning, and ventilation systems to disinfect the air while also avoiding direct exposure to plants and humans.

Sulfur Burners
Elemental sulfur can be vaporized in sulfur burners to prevent and control powdery mildew. When misused or at too high a concentration, sulfur causes leaf damage to plants.

In best practice, avoid sulfur vaporization during the plant’s flowering cycle. There are many grievances about the harsh effects sulfur has on the smell and flavor of buds.

Sulfur burners are hazardous to humans, and precautions need to be taken if this method is to be used. Read this safety sheet for more information.

Powdery Mildew Prevention
Along with applying organic fungicides, here are some more tips to help prevent further powdery mildew outbreaks in cannabis.

Clean and Quarantine
Cleaning the grow site and quarantining plants. The goal is to quarantine plants until powdery mildew is completely eliminated, including dormant spores that may be hiding nearby. Also suspect are any means of reintroducing the mildew in the grow room via infected clones, clothing, etc.

Indoor growers will want to wipe all surfaces and grow equipment top-to-bottom with a bleach-water solution to kill any residual spores. Ozone generators can also be used to sterilize grow rooms, although beware—these are dangerous at high concentrations

Climate Control
Lowering humidity, increasing airflow/ventilation, and sterilized air filtration, if possible, all help in the prevention and control of powdery mildew.

While it’s often recommended for indoor growers to keep their grow rooms at a relative humidity of 45% or lower, there is anecdotal evidence among growers that the species of powdery mildew which infects cannabis has developed resistance to low humidity levels.

Further research is needed, but one thing is certain—powdery mildew thrives in stale, humid environments.

Trichoderma
The presence of the fungi Trichoderma in a plant’s rhizosphere may play a crucial role in preventing powdery mildew. While there have been no studies directly related to the powdery mildew species that grow on cannabis, peer-reviewed studies of powdery mildew on other plants have shown that application of the species T. harzianum in soil resulted in a 75–90% reduction of powdery mildew infection on leaves.[5]

Researchers speculate that the enzymes Trichoderma produces help the plant resist powdery mildew, among other infections.

Trichoderma can be found in products such as Soil Blast on Amazon. However, over-application of Trichoderma may create problems with other beneficial fungi for plants—mycorrhizal fungi.

Silicon (Si)
Silica (silicon dioxide) is created when silicon comes into contact with oxygen. Relating to powdery mildew, silica aids in strengthening the epidermal layer of plants, forming fortified areas that may protect them from powdery mildew infections. Note: silica is naturally alkaline and will raise the pH of a nutrient solution.

Popular liquid formulations of silica include Armor Si by General Hydroponics and BulletProof by Cutting Edge.

Methods of increasing Si in the soil or root medium include diatomaceous earth, greensand, pyrophyllite clay, and high-silica fertilizers such as Pro-TeKt.

Last edited:
I think we had optic Foliar or something like that. I think budelee had a test run of their stuff and loved it
Yup Budelee, was my right hand man in the "Grow Northern/Dinafem test team", which I lead. It started out and a double test ie Seeds and DIY LED lights build but then we made it a 3 way test and did a 50/50 test of Optic foliar too, where we used Optic Foliar on half the plants for a comparison to the plants not sprayed with it.
For mold and powdery mildew Optic Foliar's Atak is the bottle you would be looking for.
Thanks for reminding me there @mohawk warrior , it had slipped my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back