Outdoor Jraven's Alaska Summer 2019

Here's the real challenge in this spot...52F and raining. Things tend to slow down quite a bit.
View attachment 1094300
The OD Monk takes it in stride but she gets pulled under her little roof when it's really pissing down. I'm such a softy:smoking:
View attachment 1094299
View attachment 1094305
The seeded monks are sharing the solarium with the tomatoes. I'm harvesting seed from these now so getting them dried out
View attachment 1094304
not "soft", good dad
That's saltwater out there bro, rest of the world at the doorstep:biggrin: Yep this is not a region known for sunshine which is generally fine with me lol, but not the greatest for canna...I'm still working out how to grow here:deadhorse:
The monks are part of that, they are photoperiod plants from Hybrids from Hell in Denmark. they've been bred for the far north for many years it sounds like. I don't know what makes them tick but they sure can take the weather. There was a bit of BR on the seeded ones, as if the seeding compromised their defenses. This strain was mainly for breeding purposes to cross with other strains for toughness so we'll see how that works out. it's not known for stellar bud but it looks like it will produce ok. I've just got one unfertilized female, the one in the pic. Haven't really tested it.:pass: It's just fun to grow a plant that isn't so unhappy:smoking:
The seeded bit is interesting. I see bud rot on mature buds, not growing ones, I was thinking final maturation, plant is on the way out. Energy going to chemical changes, or something other than vigorous growth. Defenses no longer needed for the survival of the plant. Seeded plant a done deal, done it's thing, decomp processes knocking at the door.

wonder what a May 15 window start up here would get me?
Pot size/ root restriction seems to have a big effect. with the danes...biggest container has the slowest finishers. Not sure how the light hours interact, they were flowering with long hours:shrug:

not "soft", good dad

The seeded bit is interesting. I see bud rot on mature buds, not growing ones, I was thinking final maturation, plant is on the way out. Energy going to chemical changes, or something other than vigorous growth. Defenses no longer needed for the survival of the plant. Seeded plant a done deal, done it's thing, decomp processes knocking at the door.
That's what I was wondering:thumbsup:

So. root restriction triggers early flowering?
Yes. @puffy who put me on these strains, mentioned it and it seems to be. I think it can probably be tuned to one's needs with a little experience. 3 gallon pots have been done for a while, 10 gallon is still getting there

I was chatting to another member here about the root restriction thing too, and trying to figure out the why of it.

Since it is apical tissue, in particular meristematic root tissue, what signals are given out when the root cap hits an immovable object? This tissue has cells that rapidly divide to push the root through the soil. So is there a signal of some kind when the roots hit something, that then triggers the meristematic tissue at the apical points to begin to flower? (Oh no I'm out of room better get to work proliferating the species)?

But then how does that work in plants grown in a liquid medium?

I have looked into some articles but can't find info without a rather more intense search.

I was chatting to another member here about the root restriction thing too, and trying to figure out the why of it.

Since it is apical tissue, in particular meristematic root tissue, what signals are given out when the root cap hits an immovable object? This tissue has cells that rapidly divide to push the root through the soil. So is there a signal of some kind when the roots hit something, that then triggers the meristematic tissue at the apical points to begin to flower? (Oh no I'm out of room better get to work proliferating the species)?

But then how does that work in plants grown in a liquid medium?

I have looked into some articles but can't find info without a rather more intense search.
I was hoping someone would have the right lingo for that, thanks RG :thumbsup:It does seem to be up to the strain how the plants react. Some don't seem to notice 'tight shoes' :biggrin: much. Like my neighbors photos that I'm watching. Humboldt County plants.They are big beautiful plants in tiny pots lol and only a few have sexed yet. Not sure why he wants to grow that here lol. But these Danes (also photo ) I think are customize-able to ones needs. I'm getting lots of seed from them so will be trying things next season. I'm interested what they would do under 24hr sun if we can get Trail to try em.:smoking:

Back