Jraven's Alaska Summer 2018

The last three seasons I grew in this solarium. I wasn't satisfied with the light transmission of the polycarbonate glazing I used but only as it relates to canna. I chose it for its insulative quality. Tomatoes do fine they will be featured in here this year. Also, for anyone who is in the right situation, the solarium saves me a lot of firewood. I recommend it. It's a great addition.
View attachment 888954
great spot to kick back and puff

Well easter was a bit early this year! No, won't be doing any insulating...though that could happen in the future. I'm currently thinking the ventilation up through the [not super tight] floor/deck will help. I'm going to TRY at least for natural ventilation it will be pretty open air. In my experience heat buildup is a major problem even in this mild climate. I guess you'd say I'm not trying to extend the season so much as just making the summer more canna-friendly.
yeah, keeping the rain off and the air moving!

yeah, keeping the rain off and the air moving!
I may be leaving the north wall off in fact...it's just a few feet from the south wall of the house, the deer might not even go through there. Just need enough to keep the dogs from peeing on them :rofl:

Got the joists notched in for the greenhouse deck, 6'x9' is the footprint, that's about what I've got for glazing. The rest of the length of the riders will decked for firewood stacking. Will be using heavier joists for that section when I get them. I was lucky to find those few 2x4s I used they look like I may have had them stashed for interior finish work but this is for the cause!
P_20180409_121410.jpg

Got the joists notched in for the greenhouse deck, 6'x9' is the footprint, that's about what I've got for glazing. The rest of the length of the riders will decked for firewood stacking. Will be using heavier joists for that section when I get them. I was lucky to find those few 2x4s I used they look like I may have had them stashed for interior finish work but this is for the cause!View attachment 889776

Your gonna be glad you made that. Hell of a job getting that level.

Your gonna be glad you made that. Hell of a job getting that level.
How's it going Rev,:pass: yep now i need to find some decking. I have a couple sawmill slabs, could use a couple more or else a pile of 2x something. A couple guys have sawmills will have to go looking.
P_20180409_140838.jpg

Back