Grow Mediums Barney’s Farm LSD-25 (photo) in 8.5L Autopots w/coco, TF nutrients, and AutoCobs

Thanks. Not sure about a lot of it but there will be some quality smoke. I’m guessing only 4-6 ounces but could be wrong. The buds just are not tightening up on two of the girls, probably due to my experimentations earlier in the grow. I’m just lucky I stopped playing around before I killed them.

Barney's LSD is one of my all time favorite strains.

Hah- I would be doing a dance if I got 4 oz! This time I tried switching my Blue Cheese to 24/0 with way too intense lighting, severely stunting the plant. I just jarred it and took a sneak-peak. I got a "valuable lesson" and a small amount of excellent weed.

I did the same the other day. Filled the reservoir and totally zoned out forgetting to turn the valve back on. Luckily I measure the depth in my reservoir daily and after 24 hours it was pretty obvious. In addition, at this stage they can empty their trays in a day.

Yours will bounce back quickly in sure. I wish I had someone that I could trust to look after my grows but between living in a non-legal state and the few stoner friends I know I would put anywhere near my grow. Hence why I went to autopots for my long absences. I’m switching to a soil/coco combination next time to help buffer the pH issues.

I can see how stress, high stress, can slow auto plants down. so next grow there will be no topping even though I like the level and even multi cola structure. I think topping slows things down. Going to keep things low stress next time and see how much faster things go. I need a technique for LST the main cola so it's not dominant and I get a somewhat level canopy. Using some tie downs, clothes pins and tomato cages to spread the canopy open for light.

The hard part for me is dealing with dense plant genetics where I have to pull out the scissors and chop either extreme lollipop or just pruning back larf sites. Try to keep that HST down to an LST. More tucking and light but very targeted pruning.

Anyway, I do hope these will bounce back and put on some flower weight now. They are still not putting much flower weight on. I did use optic foliar and nitrozyme supplements today to see if I could fast track recovery from stress with some nutes/supplements. I am pretty tempted to ditch them and start another grow and specifically do no HST this time and probably be better off with harvesting in the end. But I have 45 days invested in these so it's not easy to bail on them.

I can see how stress, high stress, can slow auto plants down. so next grow there will be no topping even though I like the level and even multi cola structure. I think topping slows things down. Going to keep things low stress next time and see how much faster things go. I need a technique for LST the main cola so it's not dominant and I get a somewhat level canopy. Using some tie downs, clothes pins and tomato cages to spread the canopy open for light.

The hard part for me is dealing with dense plant genetics where I have to pull out the scissors and chop either extreme lollipop or just pruning back larf sites. Try to keep that HST down to an LST. More tucking and light but very targeted pruning.

Anyway, I do hope these will bounce back and put on some flower weight now. They are still not putting much flower weight on. I did use optic foliar and nitrozyme supplements today to see if I could fast track recovery from stress with some nutes/supplements. I am pretty tempted to ditch them and start another grow and specifically do no HST this time and probably be better off with harvesting in the end. But I have 45 days invested in these so it's not easy to bail on them.
Never bail, just keep trudging on. You will be surprised at how much you will wind up with. Since you are growing in autopots, I’m not sure if you have used this technigure yet. Get some extra pots for the trays and when you are about 3 weeks from harvest, start your next grow in the extra pots and start hand watering them in. By the time you harvest, your new grow is ready to go straight on the reservoir. Saves you 3 weeks on the turn around time for the cost of a few pots. Or switch to fabric pots and don’t worry about using their pots. I’m considering this one myself and I already have the extra pots.

I've been thinking of the same thing. I have some very nice photo seeds, I thought of trying my hand at SOG with a short veg just to use the seeds up but I really want to focus on autos.
I was just tired of the sensitivity of some autoflowers, have a bunch of good photo seeds, and decided this was the year to grow some out. In the meantime I have autos outside in the greenhouse in a couple large trays with Autopots Easy2Grow valve in them controlling the feed from the reservoir.

Barney's LSD is one of my all time favorite strains.

Hah- I would be doing a dance if I got 4 oz! This time I tried switching my Blue Cheese to 24/0 with way too intense lighting, severely stunting the plant. I just jarred it and took a sneak-peak. I got a "valuable lesson" and a small amount of excellent weed.
Yea I don’t agree with 24/0 lighting. Number one is that I believe plants need a rest period. Number two is that for the extra electricity the extra yield, if any, usually doesn’t cover the costs.

Lessons can be valuable things as long as we learn. Hence my signature, Live, Grow, Learn. I try to learn something new every day. I like to joke that I’ve killed more seedlings than I’ve harvested.

i have extra pots and some domes for that reason. and last night i was just thinking about starting the next batch. and grow the current ones out too.
Never bail, just keep trudging on. You will be surprised at how much you will wind up with. Since you are growing in autopots, I’m not sure if you have used this technigure yet. Get some extra pots for the trays and when you are about 3 weeks from harvest, start your next grow in the extra pots and start hand watering them in. By the time you harvest, your new grow is ready to go straight on the reservoir. Saves you 3 weeks on the turn around time for the cost of a few pots. Or switch to fabric pots and don’t worry about using their pots. I’m considering this one myself and I already have the extra pots.

i have extra pots and some domes for that reason. and last night i was just thinking about starting the next batch. and grow the current ones out too.
Sounds like a plan and it cuts that turn around time considerably.

I’m starting some now to replace my current photo grow. In addition, when these finish up I’m harvesting the majority of the growth but leaving enough for a re-veg. I will put them out in the greenhouse before the summer solstice and hopefully they will have enough long days to re-veg them for a second harvest in the fall.

I was gone for 8 days. I made sure before I left that there was plenty in the reservoir and it was pH down to 5.8 before I walked out the door. As to why the pH jumped, I have no idea why it does what it does. This is my tap water and it has been dechlorinated over several days it starts off as neutral 7.0. The environment is what it is, a basement cool and mostly dry. The pH tends to drift upward everyday, but usually it will settle in somewhere in the high 6s if left for an extended period. This is the first time I had seen it this high. Only thing different is the nutrients but I see this upwards drift no matter what I use.

It was the first time ever I saw the girl’s fan leaves actually pulling together so intensely that they were flipping upside down. They went from fully spread fingers to clinched together, some pointing upwards others flipping upside down in just a week. I have a timelapse camera in there and can’t wait to stitch it together and if lucky be able to see this develop.

PS
I forgot to mention that Bobbie, in her 1 gallon pot of soil, was sitting in an autopot tray, drinking the same as the other girls but was unaffected. I’m chalking this up to the buffering capabilities of soil versus coco.

Hey Hemi, been away & busy for awhile, trying to play catch up now. Man, sorry to see the Girls got hammered from your pH problem during your out-of-towner. You did a great job recovering, though. Wish I could say it won't have a large effect on your yields, but it does look like they stunted a bit even after your stellar recovery. Not a loss, just a little hurt. We all been there / done that.
Your pH creep dilemma (seems to me) sound like a water problem; more specifically lower levels of calcium, and to a lesser extent, magnesium. The fact that
your dirt-grown plant was not affected seems to reinforce that. Most dirt blends have a healthy supplementation of calcium that acts as a natural buffer to higher pH drifts.
I forget too easily, don't recall what part of the world you're in, but if you are in an area where water is naturally soft, or mechanically treated by the water utility or an in-home filtration / softening system, this can lead to some rather hard-to-diagnose problems. But one key symptom in my experience has been pH drift in an upward direction.
Water softening replaces cal-mag with sodium ions, which keeps ppm's high, leading to a false sense of security that your water has sufficient cal-mag. Most nutrients have some pH buffering capabilities, but calcium doing an especially effective job. And while many base nutes have cal-mag supplementation in their micronutrients, it's usually not sufficient to make up for the loss.
Hard to diagnose? Yes, totally. You can look for calcium deficiency symptoms - spotting on the leaf portions most exposed to light; or magnesium def's - yellowing between veins on lower / older leaves. But the real problem with diagnosing this lies in the fact that cal-mag deficiencies affect uptake of other nutes, and cause pH problems which can manifest as practically ANY deficiency symptom. One way to help diagnose this, too late to do anything but good to know for future grows, is to closely examine the roots after the plant's harvest. Lack of cal-mag will result in a poorly developed, wispy root system. But the only way to accurately diagnose this is to have an extensive water analysis done on your water supply. If you're interested, let me know, I have an excellent source for these, but plant to lay out about $60 USD for the analysis.
I always feel the more you know, the better your crop will be, but $60 is halfway to a decent RO system. So if you take the prevention route, RO water with cal-mag supplementation will pretty much make these problems go away. These days I see downward drift if my nute strength drifts too high (too strong for the plant I'm growing results in extra buffering), but I never see up-spikes anymore unless I dilute my nutes a lot with no cal-mag supplementation. So RO is food for thought, or another area to spend more money. This is an area where you can do without it, but you will see more consistent results once you adapt to it.
:shrug:

To comment on Lunarman's post as well, re. high stress training affecting auto grows - I can't agree more. The closest thing to high stress training I ever do on my auto's is leaf pruning. NO topping EVER. And while a lot of growers seem to do well with supercropping, I have stayed away from this as well. The desire for a level multi cola structure that prevents the main cola from dominating the plant's growth is, in my humble opinion, the key to great yields in an autoflower environment. Probably in photoperiod grows as well.
Lunarman, If you need a few hints, look at the latter half of my light intensity thread where I've pictorially documented my latest single-plant grow of a TH Seeds Auto original Bubblegum. I went HID lighting during veg and transition to generate about 20" of stretch, then did LST training to pull the main cola down and open her up so that all secondary bud sites get good exposure to the light as well. I'll be posting an update pic shortly, day 41 and already filling out to a beauty.
If you want a more detailed illustration, check out the LST tutorial I posted on Nosias' thread: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/fast-buds-and-sweet-seeds.64526/page-10
post # 98. This technique results in a level, open canopy with almost no primary cola dominance. The ONLY issue I have with this technique is that it requires some stretch of the plant during veg / transition, to open up the plant so all the buds get a healthy share of light. A no-stretch plant stays so dense that the bud color never fully develops on a great part of the plant.

OK Men, onward with more catch - up to do. Be seeing ya around the forum.

Hey Hemi, been away & busy for awhile, trying to play catch up now. Man, sorry to see the Girls got hammered from your pH problem during your out-of-towner. You did a great job recovering, though. Wish I could say it won't have a large effect on your yields, but it does look like they stunted a bit even after your stellar recovery. Not a loss, just a little hurt. We all been there / done that.
Your pH creep dilemma (seems to me) sound like a water problem; more specifically lower levels of calcium, and to a lesser extent, magnesium. The fact that

your dirt-grown plant was not affected seems to reinforce that. Most dirt blends have a healthy supplementation of calcium that acts as a natural buffer to higher pH drifts.

I forget too easily, don't recall what part of the world you're in, but if you are in an area where water is naturally soft, or mechanically treated by the water utility or an in-home filtration / softening system, this can lead to some rather hard-to-diagnose problems. But one key symptom in my experience has been pH drift in an upward direction.
Water softening replaces cal-mag with sodium ions, which keeps ppm's high, leading to a false sense of security that your water has sufficient cal-mag. Most nutrients have some pH buffering capabilities, but calcium doing an especially effective job. And while many base nutes have cal-mag supplementation in their micronutrients, it's usually not sufficient to make up for the loss.
Hard to diagnose? Yes, totally. You can look for calcium deficiency symptoms - spotting on the leaf portions most exposed to light; or magnesium def's - yellowing between veins on lower / older leaves. But the real problem with diagnosing this lies in the fact that cal-mag deficiencies affect uptake of other nutes, and cause pH problems which can manifest as practically ANY deficiency symptom. One way to help diagnose this, too late to do anything but good to know for future grows, is to closely examine the roots after the plant's harvest. Lack of cal-mag will result in a poorly developed, wispy root system. But the only way to accurately diagnose this is to have an extensive water analysis done on your water supply. If you're interested, let me know, I have an excellent source for these, but plant to lay out about $60 USD for the analysis.
I always feel the more you know, the better your crop will be, but $60 is halfway to a decent RO system. So if you take the prevention route, RO water with cal-mag supplementation will pretty much make these problems go away. These days I see downward drift if my nute strength drifts too high (too strong for the plant I'm growing results in extra buffering), but I never see up-spikes anymore unless I dilute my nutes a lot with no cal-mag supplementation. So RO is food for thought, or another area to spend more money. This is an area where you can do without it, but you will see more consistent results once you adapt to it.
:shrug:

To comment on Lunarman's post as well, re. high stress training affecting auto grows - I can't agree more. The closest thing to high stress training I ever do on my auto's is leaf pruning. NO topping EVER. And while a lot of growers seem to do well with supercropping, I have stayed away from this as well. The desire for a level multi cola structure that prevents the main cola from dominating the plant's growth is, in my humble opinion, the key to great yields in an autoflower environment. Probably in photoperiod grows as well.
Lunarman, If you need a few hints, look at the latter half of my light intensity thread where I've pictorially documented my latest single-plant grow of a TH Seeds Auto original Bubblegum. I went HID lighting during veg and transition to generate about 20" of stretch, then did LST training to pull the main cola down and open her up so that all secondary bud sites get good exposure to the light as well. I'll be posting an update pic shortly, day 41 and already filling out to a beauty.
If you want a more detailed illustration, check out the LST tutorial I posted on Nosias' thread: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/fast-buds-and-sweet-seeds.64526/page-10
post # 98. This technique results in a level, open canopy with almost no primary cola dominance. The ONLY issue I have with this technique is that it requires some stretch of the plant during veg / transition, to open up the plant so all the buds get a healthy share of light. A no-stretch plant stays so dense that the bud color never fully develops on a great part of the plant.

OK Men, onward with more catch - up to do. Be seeing ya around the forum.

:thanks:for all the notes and advice. It is appreciated.

I have had very few problems topping autos as long as it is done early enough at the third or fourt node. The rest of my training is mostly LST, spreading out branches with ties to open up the ladies. I’m not a supercropper with with autos. These ladies are all photogenic so I have been a little more demanding of them. :naughtystep:

Had a small bud just fall over and break off from the top of a large cluster a couple days ago, so I grabbed a couple shots of it before throwing onto my drying rack.
90447CFD-F15E-4600-934A-69A09E4EE483.jpeg
9BB2D002-F169-4E3D-9540-26E5965F5450.jpeg
684BEF83-E098-47CC-8BEE-EB9193FE8822.jpeg

Here it is after a couple days on the drying rack. The RH is around 50% in there so it dried rather quickly. Gonna have a little test smoke tonight.
155D92CF-E376-4A55-8E09-BCAD72C99F6B.jpeg

Day 107 / 77 / 64

Ladies are trudging along and packing on the frost. The trichs are still mainly cloudy with maybe 5% amber. I’m going to push these out to at least Tuesday of next week. They are current drinking 1.25 inches of water each day. I have the MC at 3.5g per gallon, might back that off a little more tonight when I mix up a new batch of nutes.

Then considering swapping them out for a single plant in a 15 liter pot. Been watching a strain grow out at a friends place and have seen how long her branches become and have a feeling she will be perfect SCROG material.

2721CCFD-8EDF-4468-9480-6998F200ACF1.jpeg
4D58F74B-144F-4C5D-B4F8-496574A19F71.jpeg
0D35E2C7-BDCC-4359-AD27-8AC0A2C63C10.jpeg
04FE7986-3DEF-416B-B8AA-9A29178E6E99.jpeg
41AA79B5-8A17-450E-97B3-431D2A5AEF38.jpeg
CB42FBB3-A30D-4D6F-9B39-6BD4086170CB.jpeg
A97E4893-BD04-4911-9DF4-4C5802257D6B.jpeg

Happy Growing everyone! :vibes:

Back