Outdoor The never ending story

I think you're correct Green Bandit, maybe the heat and the drop in humidity, maybe causes some deficiency. Today is bad for here 35c and a dry hot wind, so will watch them, tomorrow 38, more like your heat.

Sure is hot up your way mate, i have respect for the canna plants ability to take the heat, in black pots as well. You can grow year around up there.

I'm just gonna battle along with it this year....going to plant directly in the ground next hot season I think! Might even try and rig up a portable shade house for next time
Set up a little solar powered pump and water Rez on a timer and intermittently spray the outside of your fabric pots!

:chimp:

Just a few pics of the seedlings...first up S.O.D.K been topped at the 5th node
20190213_075212.jpg
RQS euphoria
20190213_075226.jpg
Dutch passion auto glueberry OG
20190213_075208.jpg
HPG O.AxB.TxBBG biggest one showed sex today and she's a girl
20190213_075205.jpg

I'm just gonna battle along with it this year....going to plant directly in the ground next hot season I think! Might even try and rig up a portable shade house for next time

I came up with a very simple and very cheap moveable shelter that I used to protect some plants from last year’s epic storms and you could use it for shade as well. All I did was take some 1 inch pvc tubing and some 24 inch long pieces of rebar. I’m not sure if it’s called rebar down under - it’s a steel rod that goes inside concrete. I just drove a couple of the rebar stakes into the ground on each side of the plant(s) and then I slid one end of a piece of pvc tubing over the stake, bent the pvc over and slid it over a stake on the opposite side. 2 or more of these form a hoop house/tunnnel of sorts. Then, I put clear plastic over the hoop frame. It would be just as easy with shade cloth. To stiffen it I used some paracord that I attached to a stake and then stretched up and around one piece of pvc (at the apex of the arc) and then to the next piece of tubing, finally terminating at another stake on the opposite side. I also did this on the sides as well; to add overall rigidity. This prevented the hoops from moving much, even in big wind. Next season I’m going to buy a bunch of 4-way pvc connectors that I can use to stiffen the top and sides, provide crossmembers to support any covering and make the system more modular and better; but what I described worked great in the face of a 50 day biblical flood event! Lol.

How this helps

1A186DA2-FA7D-4746-A2A4-099B6C6E86D5.jpeg

Last edited:
I came up with a very simple and very cheap moveable shelter that I used to protect some plants from last year’s epic storms and you could use it for shade as well. All I did was take some 1 inch pvc tubing and some 24 inch long pieces of rebar. I’m not sure if it’s called rebar down under - it’s a steel rod that goes inside concrete. I just drove a couple of the rebar stakes into the ground on each side of the plant(s) and then I slid one end of a piece of pvc tubing over the stake, bent the pvc over and slid it over a stake on the opposite side. 2 or more of these form a hoop house/tunnnel of sorts. Then, I put clear plastic over the hoop frame. It would be just as easy with shade cloth. To stiffen it I used some paracord that I attached to a stake and then stretched up and around one piece of pvc (at the apex of the arc) and then to the next piece of tubing, finally terminating at another stake on the opposite side. I also did this on the sides as well; to add overall rigidity. This prevented the hoops from moving much, even in big wind. Next season I’m going to buy a bunch of 4-way pvc connectors that I can use to stiffen the top and sides, provide crossmembers to support any covering and make the system more modular and better; but what I described worked great in the face of a 50 day biblical flood event! Lol.

How this helps

View attachment 1014479
That's awesome man! Love your ingenuity. Props to you

The S.O.D.K and glueberry must be around day 23 I think .I topped the S.O.D.K around day 18 or so I think mate and around the same age with the euphoria. :shrug: I have grown S.O.D.K before and they were nice bushy plants so I thought I'd see what happens if I tried topping it.
Looking great, mate! What day are they in the pictures? More importantly, what day were they at when they got topped?

How this helps

View attachment 1014479
That would do the trick mate! I can't do much for the next 3 weeks or so as we are mustering cattle and stealth is important at the moment. When things slow down again this winter I'm going to build something light enough I can lift it on the back of my truck myself if need be and enclosed to try and keep some of the bugs out, something like this maybe...
20190214_075906.jpg

Back