Indoor THC Bomb Auto Fem / Pro-Mix / HID Grow For Noobs

Plants are always measured from the top of the soil to the top of the plant, at least that is what I was taught many moons ago. I never include the pot.

Shes a lot taller than 15" now as I've been stretching her. Tomorrow is day 30 and I will put up a pic or two and some measurements and also descriptions of what I've been doing to the girls then.

I also have a couple of common early problems I need to take pics of and add to the "how to read your plant" info that I want to get into this thread as well.

Peace
Hash

:smokeit:
Thanks for your prompt reply. Checked my dates and realised we are both at the same stage, today being day 30, so would be interesting to compare notes and pics! Ref your comment on early problems, signs to read abt what the plants are telling you, are they not the same as non autos? Like pH issues, calcium deficiency, over feeling etc? Or are autos more susceptible to certain issues?

Didn't feel up to pulling them out and taking pics of each, but here's what I did to them....

Day 30

Top left: 25" tall and I shaped it to go straight up with several mains. I've been keeping it only as wide as the bucket because IF it fills nicely this would be a good shape to pack a bunch together tight.

Top right: 22" tall and it should end up in a fat Christmas tree shape. Should fill in nicely with no problem.

Both of those are Sativa phenos.

Bottom left: 16" tall and I shaped it like a sucker or lollipop. It's like a ball on a stick with tons of clearance underneath. No real reason to do this shape other than just screwing around. It will fill in nicely.

Bottom right: 15" tall and I did this like a square box with fairly straight sides. If it holds this shape it would be great for packing a bunch in together real tight. If it doesn't hold it then it will just be another fat Christmas tree. It will fill in nicely.

Day 30 in the life of 4 heavily pruned shorties...

20160527_195845-1.jpg

78° F / 36% RH

1000W HPS @ 24"

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt reply. Checked my dates and realised we are both at the same stage, today being day 30, so would be interesting to compare notes and pics! Ref your comment on early problems, signs to read abt what the plants are telling you, are they not the same as non autos? Like pH issues, calcium deficiency, over feeling etc? Or are autos more susceptible to certain issues?

Just added my day 30 pic and info.

Reading autos is pretty much the same as reading photos, you just have a much smaller window to make corrections so you have to stay on top of it.

Autos are much more susceptible to calcium deficiency for some reason, and a bit more temperamental with heat issues than photos.

Autos are also much easier to stunt IMHO. And they can be transplanted once but they really don't seem to like it much.

Just added my day 30 pic and info.

Reading autos is pretty much the same as reading photos, you just have a much smaller window to make corrections so you have to stay on top of it.

Autos are much more susceptible to calcium deficiency for some reason, and a bit more temperamental with heat issues than photos.

Autos are also much easier to stunt IMHO. And they can be transplanted once but they really don't seem to like it much.
Haha, impressed at your artistic flair, did my homework on them before cracking on, have learnt knowledge is power in this game, only because I've lost so much on previous grows. Although I have read pruning is of benefit but obviously delays harvest. How much would you expect to yield per plant?

Haha, impressed at your artistic flair, did my homework on them before cracking on, have learnt knowledge is power in this game, only because I've lost so much on previous grows. Although I have read pruning is of benefit but obviously delays harvest. How much would you expect to yield per plant?

No clue on yield. Never grew this strain before and as everyone has probably figured out I'm just screwing around having fun.

They are supposed to be fairly heavy producers.

Besides having fun I wanted to see how much abuse this strain will tolerate and I also wanted to see how close I can get one to 4 feet indoors and still have it fill out.

I'm going to run about 10 of these latter and throw some pollen at the best. But that will be done in much taller buckets.

:pop: :smokeit: :pop:

There's a dozen ways to answer this and every one would sound like I was ragging on your friend....

So... I'll refer to commercial growers I know that also do this... they are interested in 2 things - weight and speed.

To get weight and speed they sacrifice a little on quality, a little on strength, a little on taste, etc. They still get good weed or they would be out of business, but is it the best weed they could have gotten each grow ? No.

They do not replace four dozen $150 bulbs every grow, in fact they don't own a single $150 bulb as they buy cheap and in quantity.

I usually say you can never have too much light, but technically you can. Bleaching is the extreme end and it is not that common, but you do give up a bit on taste, potency, resin production, etc... long before you ever get an albino bud.

Say a 1000W HPS is rated at 145,000 lumens, that's great but a flowering plant only uses something like 75K lumens. (You'll have to look the actual numbers up as I'm pulling them from memory from long ago)

The other thing to do a bit of research on is going the other way. HID lights shed lumens exponentially as distance increases. You can use this info to get into intentional stretching.

Go too far though and you have a nice tall stick that never fills out.

Anyway..... yes you can get away with it and there are other things you can do to compensate, but if your not a commercial grower then there is no need because you would have other priorities than just weight and speed.

Like I've said before, there's many ways to do each step along the way with these weeds. Find what works for you and refine it.

:pass:

This is what I was guessing, with a lot more additional insight, THANK YOU.

BTW; I met with him yesterday and unfortunately it got very ugly. He ripped on my Cannabis to no end, I could not even say a word to stop him. Most of his information, presented with much authority, again was specific to commercial growers.

One example, he told me that my the flowers in my jars were too moist. He said I need to dry the plant for seven days until the main cola snaps instantly when you apply any pressure....again, a commercial thing. I have smoked his weed and if you hit a bowl with a flame, it is gone in two-three hits.....now I know why.

He also looked at some of my flowers that are sativa and ripped on the shape of the buds and the sugar leaves left on them......LOL

This is what I was guessing, with a lot more additional insight, THANK YOU.

BTW; I met with him yesterday and unfortunately it got very ugly. He ripped on my Cannabis to no end, I could not even say a word to stop him. Most of his information, presented with much authority, again was specific to commercial growers.

One example, he told me that my the flowers in my jars were too moist. He said I need to dry the plant for seven days until the main cola snaps instantly when you apply any pressure....again, a commercial thing. I have smoked his weed and if you hit a bowl with a flame, it is gone in two-three hits.....now I know why.

He also looked at some of my flowers that are sativa and ripped on the shape of the buds and the sugar leaves left on them......LOL

Well you just described a self proclaimed "expert".... they are a legend in their own mind.

BUT, not all commercial growers are like that, and you will also find other personal growers that are exactly like that. They think they know everything and their way is the only way...

I know commercial growers who have the same goals for every grow that we would have (best quality, best taste, best high, best yield, etc ) they just do it on a larger scale and supply dispensaries.

Back