New Grower Tangie’matic, Ripley’s OG, Stilton Special

aiming high and setting standards is all good and well.but to set the standards of a master grower thats plants and pics are used for seed bank catologues,is just setting yourself up for a disapointment.
its like asking a kid not to fall off a bike when you take the stabilizers off for the first time.be realistic
growing is more feel than science.just like the way overwatering and underwatering can look similar,but they are opposites :shrug: a first grow is about avoiding disaster,making it to harvest,and getting a few buds.grow 2,3,4,5 are for adjusting and tweeking.
a spare potted up pot sat in the corner somewhere thats never been watered,is my reference pot.some 250/500/1L bottles of water that i can set ontop of dry pot and gauge what my pots with plants in them have.plant A dry pot + 500ml its fine,feed tomorrow.plant B its heavy dry pot + 1L bottle,it dont need fed 2,3 days.plant C its almost as light as dry pot in corner,it needs watered now.
the first few weeks are slow,need very lil water compare to what they drink when they 3 foot tall.
a new grower will learn more from other new growers than a master grower.an average grower will learn a lot from a master grower.other new growers are having same/similar issues to yourself,things a master grower seldomly has to deal with.
sorry its a lot to get your head round,growing is easy its just a weed :smokeit:
good luck n keep er lit.
:pighug:
You always give solid advice, @archie gemmill. And your laid back attitude towards growing should be adopted by everyone. It took me a couple of grows to fully understand that and just get out of the way and let the weed grow like a weed. You are correct. Actual boots-on-the-ground growing is more of an art than a science. The science is interesting to tell us why we're seeing what we're seeing, but going out and actually doing it is truly an art form.

At the end of a grow, you always say "I could have done this," or "I should have done that." This is the learning process in action. They are also the things that the master growers have already gone through and don't often think about any more. They don't mention them anymore in their journals.

It takes a while to learn to read what's going on with your plants just by looking at them. I learned a very important lesson during my last grow. I had what looked like a potassium deficiency, a calcium deficiency and a magnesium toxicity all at the same time. My initial instinct was to throw more nutrients at the plant. It turns out, that my lights were too bright and my tent was too warm. It was causing my plants to drink more than I thought they were. They were burning themselves by up-taking more nutrients than they needed for their stage in their growth cycle. It took me a couple of days to figure that out. And I found out by looking at a website for beginning growers. This is something that a master grower wouldn't really think about.

So...again...solid advice. Thanks.

aiming high and setting standards is all good and well.but to set the standards of a master grower thats plants and pics are used for seed bank catologues,is just setting yourself up for a disapointment.
its like asking a kid not to fall off a bike when you take the stabilizers off for the first time.be realistic
growing is more feel than science.just like the way overwatering and underwatering can look similar,but they are opposites :shrug: a first grow is about avoiding disaster,making it to harvest,and getting a few buds.grow 2,3,4,5 are for adjusting and tweeking.
a spare potted up pot sat in the corner somewhere thats never been watered,is my reference pot.some 250/500/1L bottles of water that i can set ontop of dry pot and gauge what my pots with plants in them have.plant A dry pot + 500ml its fine,feed tomorrow.plant B its heavy dry pot + 1L bottle,it dont need fed 2,3 days.plant C its almost as light as dry pot in corner,it needs watered now.
the first few weeks are slow,need very lil water compare to what they drink when they 3 foot tall.
a new grower will learn more from other new growers than a master grower.an average grower will learn a lot from a master grower.other new growers are having same/similar issues to yourself,things a master grower seldomly has to deal with.
sorry its a lot to get your head round,growing is easy its just a weed :smokeit:
good luck n keep er lit.

forgive me matey, being realistic was rarely my forte :baked: still young 'n green to this hobby, but i'm having fun.

that's a great method for watering. once i've stopped teasing the girls with the odd dribble of fluids i think i'll pinch that technique - thanks!

told the girls they're just weed so just grow already :smokeit:

happy Monday, AFN :toke:

hope y'all had a good weekend. i had a weirdish one, started having adverse effects from nicotine after many a year of smoking - half a ciggy kicks me in to some sort of fight or flight reaction, pounding heart, sweaty hands, the lot!

anyway - here's an update...

Double Grape Day 18

dg18.jpg

dg18a.jpg

fussy fussy fussy, the soil alone gave her yellow tips. decided to feed yesterday instead of just water and will wait to see how she handles it. 150ml fed with Sensi Bloom A&B, Density CalMag, and Voodoo Juice at 1ml per litre. the other two had exactly the same; at this stage they seem happy enough to stay synchronised, makes it easier to keep track for this stoner, too. :hump:

Sour Livers Day 17

sl17.jpg

sl17a.jpg

Natural light pic

sl17b.jpg

Livers is the most developed, but only a day or two ahead of;

CDLC Day 16

cdlc16.jpg

cdlc16a.jpg

lunchtime today, signs of the brown/rusty patches appearing on the second set of the Double Grape now. Day 19.

dg1.jpg dg2.jpg dg3.jpg dg4.jpg dg5.jpg dg6.jpg

photos really don't do justice here, she's way uglier in real life. [EDIT: these are terrible pictures, i'm sorry -- they are taken under both the led's and a sunlight filled room.]

problem starts with yellowing of the tip of the leaf very early, before spreading to the surrounding serrated edges and slowly becoming more apparent over a couple of days.
then a small shiny brown patch appears, rusty looking. one appears per leaf, appearing the same day on the opposite leaves. seems to start toward the outside of the leaf. if these leaves go the same as the first set, they will show more rusty spots in the next few days, become wrinkly, and essentially halt any growth to that leaf.

worth a post in the Infirmary?

im shit at the defs/toxs game.really i am.but at 21 days,and as its not a huge plant it shouldnt be a defficency.now im wondering if the pots a lil too dry.there does come a point in the life of a plant that it likes the whole pot watered.12L pots hmm if ya stick yer finger as far down the pot as you can is the tip of your finger moist ?
the infirmary peeps are seriously smart folks,but in order to help them help you,you gotta give them as much detail as possible.
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...ill-out-first-with-the-data-that-matta.45991/
https://www.autoflower.org/forums/autoflower-infirmary-for-sick-plants.90/
good luck n keep er lit

A couple of quick questions before I weigh in:

I.) What are the temperatures and relative humidity in your grow area like?

2.) What are your lights and how close are they to the top of your plant?

3.) What are you currently feeding your plant and what is the pH of your nutrient solution?

A couple of quick questions before I weigh in:

I.) What are the temperatures and relative humidity in your grow area like?

2.) What are your lights and how close are they to the top of your plant?

3.) What are you currently feeding your plant and what is the pH of your nutrient solution?

I saw in the first post that you’re using COBs and Advanced Nutrients.

So...4.) Are you following the feeding recommendations on the bottle or more/less?

Back