New Grower SPZ's Sour Livers Triple Automatic Grow

So speaking of messing with the ladies... while I had that tent door opened up I did find that the runt of the liter still had her seed casing stuck on. It's been over 48 hours since she poked her head above ground and was getting concerned, so I proceeded with the helmetectomy. I misted her and waited a few minutes. The misting helped, thanks for the Elle, you could see the seed casing swelled and opened right up. I was able to hold one side of the casing and pry the other with the tweezers until it popped off. Man that helmet was wedged on there good! Next time one comes up like that I will probably give it a spritz of water immediately to see if it can pop out on her own.

Here is the split seed casing with my tweezerman tweezers
IMG_20170705_190911892.jpg

Here's my girl after the procedure. The cotyledons are curled up into a seed shape, I hope the unfurl in the next day or so!
IMG_20170705_190931158.jpg

Aye, good advise in 'em commandments..... If followed a certain laissez-faire sets in over time....... Highly recommended for finicky growers..... Lol

Good to hear your habitat is cooperating :thumbsup:

Im in I know it will be a great ride........:vibes::dragon4:

Good job on the shell-ectomy lol I seem to have at least one plant with that problem every grow. And as for the lights I'm growing Mephisto and using Autocobs currently and the seedlings seemed to like it at 30 inches. Keep an eye out for leaf curl it could be a sign of light stress.

Good job on the shell-ectomy lol I seem to have at least one plant with that problem every grow. And as for the lights I'm growing Mephisto and using Autocobs currently and the seedlings seemed to like it at 30 inches. Keep an eye out for leaf curl it could be a sign of light stress.

Thanks for the kind words and the height tip! I resisted the urge to check the ladies this morning. I'll check them tonight to see if my runt has unfurled her leaves properly. I will also look for curling leaves and consider raising the lights, I'll need a longer measuring stick lol I've been using a 24" T-square.

Tonight is day five since I placed the seeds in the coco and it is the first night on my watering schedule. But yesterday the coco still felt saturated under the surface and the pots were still a bit heavy, so I may wait another day or two on that depending. I do plan on ramping up to 1/4 strength nutes whenever that first watering does occur... :watering:

Just finished up in the basement, here's a quick update! To my dismay, my little girl had not yet spread her wings after her shell-ectomy! Upon close inspection, there was still a small piece of shell remaining. Just my luck! I had to take the tweezers to her for a follow up surgery, and man that little bit of shell was positively embedded right at the tip, keeping her sealed up! I was terrified I would snap her tiny little stem, but I managed to pry it off, and as soon as I did the cotyledons popped right out like they were packed in there with a spring!

Here's the bit of shell that was holding her back!
IMG_20170706_211403323.jpg

This was taken moments later, you can see she popped right open. I'm confident she'll unfold now
IMG_20170706_211435558.jpg

I'm not sure if the rest of the girls are showing signs of light burn or not. I went ahead and raised the lights to 26" or so, figure I'll change things just a little at a time.

A girl hanging with the thermometer.
IMG_20170704_203459977.jpg

As expected I didn't water as there's still a good amount of moisture in my freshly rinsed coco, really I probably started too moist. I will probably wait until day 7 as I understand over-watering is more common and problematic than under-watering.

Looking at all the crazy nute regimen I bought, there are no less than SIX bottles that call to be added at this early stage of the grow. I'm spending some time reading up on my reference grows (Hansbricks uses autopots/coco with AN nutrient line) and reading all the labels on the bottles. I have to figure what strength to use, what order to mix and pH these, whether there are any conflicts, etc. Any advice is most welcome!

IMG_20170706_222428619.jpg

Back