New Grower SPZ's Sour Livers Triple Automatic Grow

Here's one of the two girls who seem to be having no problems, for comparison...
IMG_20170707_183157065.jpg

Uh oh the over achiever might be "damping off" a type of fungal infection it's usually caused by overly wet/cold conditions. I only know of it because I just had it happen to me on my outdoor grow. Twice [emoji24]

Uh oh the over achiever might be "damping off" a type of fungal infection it's usually caused by overly wet/cold conditions. I only know of it because I just had it happen to me on my outdoor grow. Twice [emoji24]

Oh god I'm reading about damping off on wikipedia and sure hope it's not anything like that, my condolences! That might be what happened to my asparagus last year... I managed to get germination box full of asparagus seedlings started, the cutest damn things you ever saw, only to see them all fall over dead about two days later.

Looking back at my photos, this gal looks like she just hasn't changed in a day or two, so I'm hoping she's just taking her time and its nothing catastrophic. Time will tell!

Looking back at my photos, this gal looks like she just hasn't changed in a day or two, so I'm hoping she's just taking her time and its nothing catastrophic. Time will tell!

Just got caught up, looks like you've got a great start! Don't sweat the slower lady too hard - the seedling for my first plant looked wonky as hell (so much so that I named her "Ugly Betty") and she went on to provide me with two and a half ounces of pretty respectable smoke. The girl I have going now had some craziness as well - grew nice and straight for a few days, then the top 1/4" or so bent over 90 degrees for a day, then she straightened out and has been golden ever since. And there will probably be a period of time when they're young that they might appear to "stall" - I assure you, absent any other obvious problems above-ground, they're not stalled - just getting busy below the surface! They'll be focusing on pushing those roots deep looking for water, which is a good thing! Once they've got their footing they'll take off just fine. :biggrin:

To put things in perspective - when I was learning to brew my own beer, I used to sweat every.single.detail. But the old-timers on the forums I was on always told me to RDWHAHB - (Relax, Don't Worry! Have A Home Brew!) So that's what I'll suggest to you too. RDWHABT (Relax, Don't Worry! Have A Big Toke!) :thumbsup:

To put things in perspective - when I was learning to brew my own beer, I used to sweat every.single.detail. But the old-timers on the forums I was on always told me to RDWHAHB - (Relax, Don't Worry! Have A Home Brew!) So that's what I'll suggest to you too. RDWHABT (Relax, Don't Worry! Have A Big Toke!) :thumbsup:

Ha, thanks for checking out my grow and thanks for the great advice and encouragement, ANTiFA! I do feel a bit like a first time parent, consulting medical journals every time the baby sneezes lol. I have to force myself to only check the ladies once or twice per day and not open the tent every five minutes!

I'm home for the rest of the day, hope to post some updates this afternoon, but I think I will take a big toke first to put things in perspective :smoking:

Ha, thanks for checking out my grow and thanks for the great advice and encouragement, ANTiFA! I do feel a bit like a first time parent, consulting medical journals every time the baby sneezes lol. I have to force myself to only check the ladies once or twice per day and not open the tent every five minutes!

We've all been there. I'm still kinda there, even though I've gotten pretty decent at not checking too much, lol. Growing your own smoke, especially when you're new to it, is a heady experience. Once you get more comfortable that things aren't going to spontaneously explode if something goes wrong, you'll still probably have days where you just sit and watch em grow for awhile after your done whatever work you have to do in the tent. Seeing the changes day to day is hella satisfying.

Sorry haven't posted much this weekend it's been beautiful outside, enough so to keep me out of the basement and away from the computer screens! But there have been a few updates so I'll try to get back up to speed here!

On Saturday I have my girls their first feeding and watering. After stressing out about what nutes to give the girlies and how to pH the solution, I remembered that I am basing this grow on Hansbricks most recent coco/autopot grows, so I went to his latest thread and pulled out all the details and put them in a spreadsheet.

HansFeedSched.png

Hans puts so much detail in that I was able to just follow his recipe for the day five formulation and feeding amount! With regard to pH, I was less concerned since this formulation does not yet include the silicate and it is starting to get pH perfect which should buffer the nutrients for better absorption at a wider range of pH's. I did use my pH test kit to test both my tap water and the nutrient solution. I have very little faith in the test kit, but our best guess based on the color chart was that the tap water was dead on 6 and the nutrient solution was a tiny bit more acidic, maybe 5.8 or 5.9. So I did not make any adjustments as this is in the hydro range, I'm sure hoping that my natural spring water will end up working well without a lot of treatment, so far so good! The only issue was that 1l was a tad more than they needed, I adjusted down to .75l.

Lest anyone fear, all of the little girls are still alive if not thriving! One in particular has really responded to the feeding and has taken off for the races. One is just slightly behind her, and the other two are still in a mutant seedling phase trying to get their feet under them. I'm keeping calm about, they're all still alive and I figure they will start growing when they are good and ready. Here are the pics, I've decided to call them Audrey I, II, III and IV.

Here is Audrey I, she seems to be happy with life
IMG_20170710_201003961.jpg

Audrey II was the subject of the shellectomy. She has a bit of a long stalk and tiny leaves I think as a result of spending a couple days cooped up in her shell. I'm sure she'll catch up and eat us all just like her namesake!
IMG_20170710_201008996.jpg

Audrey III is the girl I was concerned about. She sort of slumped and is smaller than the others for no apparent reason, but I'm just chalking it up to growing pains.
IMG_20170710_201100875.jpg

My star performer! This girl looks every bit like an ideal specimen!!! Just like my model grow, woot!
IMG_20170710_201108643.jpg

Here are some overall shots of the grow tent

Here are all four pots. You can really see how Audrey IV has just taken off in the last day or two!
IMG_20170710_201412180.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the tent. Four out of six cobs are going 24/0 at 30" and I added some fans to the ceiling pointed down and toward the walls of the tent. Those fans blowing through the cob heat sinks generate a nice warm breeze that is bringing the temp up on the floor about 2 degrees.
IMG_20170710_201404747.jpg

I mentioned those fans bring the temp up a couple degrees, but it is still only 70-72F in the tent, which is just at the bottom of the acceptable temp range. That could be part of the reason for my slow start and it will definitely be an issue with small plants in the winter. I'm thinking of getting some seedling heat mats to go under the pots. You can put them on a thermostat that has a probe to measure soil temperature, so they keep the soil a constant temperature (plus all the heat they produce would eventually radiate into the tent as ambient heat as Corgy pointed out). It would take two large 100w mats, but if they provide all the heat I need in a targeted way, that would be really efficient compared to running a space heater outside the tent.

Back