Lighting Quantum board thread.

So, ~45 watts/ sq.ft for flower, 38 for veg. I think that's lots for both, in fact, I would make sure you can dim them. Good luck with the grow. :goodluck: :pighug:
I'm planning to dim them down a bit. I wanted to go with the 480 in flower but found that it would be borderline, powerwise. Since I grow several strains at once, this setup will allow me to turn lights off and on as required and also raise and lower them as needed. I also wanted full on veg and full on flower. Not this middle of the road 3500k.
Thanks @Olderfart

Can someone verify this for me?

I‘m in the middle of changing the way I’ve been doing things (with photos) to shave off time. I’m going to flower in a 4x4 and veg in a 2.5x2.5.
I selected (not ordered yet) 3x240 Watt 2700k fixtures for flower, with red strips and some uv. All individual lights on their own timer. There will never be more than 5 plants in here.
in the veg tent i want to use 2x120 watt in 6500k. There will never be more than 4 plants in here.
That should do fine, right?

The issue with that 2700k is you're going to bulk and stretch hard. I use 3000k but is much rather run a 4000k for the first few weeks then gradually finish the last two weeks at 2700k. 3500k is what most people use as it's a good compromise between red and blue. You only need around 480 watts, coverage is going to be more important and at 2700k LEDs are less efficient.

You could run a mix of 6500, 4000, and 2700. That way you don't blast them with 720 watts of light and no c02 injection. Plus running them a bit softer is going to give energy savings plus allow you to control the morphology of the plants through flower.

Check out @Scynce Grown they have LED fixtures that will do this with less complexity. Plus they have a ton of information

For your veg tent 3500k or 4000k will keep internodes tighter 6500k is a bit much unless you supplement with some red as it will help rooting. 185 watts is adequate and I'd suggest hanging it a bit higher for plants in the propagation stages to not become over saturated. 18/6 will suffice.

If you're only running 4 plants at a time, how long do you plan to veg? Cloning?

The issue with that 2700k is you're going to bulk and stretch hard. I use 3000k but is much rather run a 4000k for the first few weeks then gradually finish the last two weeks at 2700k. 3500k is what most people use as it's a good compromise between red and blue. You only need around 480 watts, coverage is going to be more important and at 2700k LEDs are less efficient.

You could run a mix of 6500, 4000, and 2700. That way you don't blast them with 720 watts of light and no c02 injection. Plus running them a bit softer is going to give energy savings plus allow you to control the morphology of the plants through flower.

Check out @Scynce Grown they have LED fixtures that will do this with less complexity. Plus they have a ton of information

For your veg tent 3500k or 4000k will keep internodes tighter 6500k is a bit much unless you supplement with some red as it will help rooting. 185 watts is adequate and I'd suggest hanging it a bit higher for plants in the propagation stages to not become over saturated. 18/6 will suffice.

If you're only running 4 plants at a time, how long do you plan to veg? Cloning?
I am growing from seed. Veg for ~30 days then flower for 14-21 in the veg tent to prevent the stretch. Then move to the flower tent. That was at least what I had planned. Might have to rethink that tho

I am growing from seed. Veg for ~30 days then flower for 14-21 in the veg tent to prevent the stretch. Then move to the flower tent. That was at least what I had planned. Might have to rethink that tho

I think you're going about it wrong. I start seeds in a veg tent in a rack with the light 24" away. I take clones and make sure they root then I transfer the donor plants to the flowering tent. Now I can sample all the phenos and have clones to refer to later if I have a favorite.

If I want to veg them longer I move them to the next shelf with the light 18" away and let them veg. Ideally they would veg under 4000k while the seeds and new cuts would get 4000k and some red.

Then to the flower tent when I'm ready and straight to 11/13. If I was going for large plants I would still do the same but probably veg them in the flowering tent for an extra week or two as I would more than likely SCROG them.

I think you're going about it wrong. I start seeds in a veg tent in a rack with the light 24" away. I take clones and make sure they root then I transfer the donor plants to the flowering tent. Now I can sample all the phenos and have clones to refer to later if I have a favorite.

If I want to veg them longer I move them to the next shelf with the light 18" away and let them veg. Ideally they would veg under 4000k while the seeds and new cuts would get 4000k and some red.

Then to the flower tent when I'm ready and straight to 11/13. If I was going for large plants I would still do the same but probably veg them in the flowering tent for an extra week or two as I would more than likely SCROG them.
I like to grow short and bushy due to height restrictions. Figured if I leave them in the veg tent the first 2-3 weeks of flower, the stretch would be much less. Then move and blast with2700k to get the buds to fatten up. From everything I read, that theory should work. But I’ve only done 6 or 7 grows so far and haven’t really found „my way“ yet.

I like to grow short and bushy due to height restrictions. Figured if I leave them in the veg tent the first 2-3 weeks of flower, the stretch would be much less. Then move and blast with2700k to get the buds to fatten up. From everything I read, that theory should work. But I’ve only done 6 or 7 grows so far and haven’t really found „my way“ yet.

I'm not saying the 2700k won't work though it just far buds aren't they only goal imo. B if you want short and bushy you just have to pick the genetics more than anything.

I think 30" is more than enough. If you're good with 2700k for 5-10 weeks go for it.
I‘ll likely place my order next week. Just want to hear from more experienced people what the think. I might still change it to 3000k and 4000k. Or god knows what lol . There’s so much info and opinions out there it’s confusing.

I‘ll likely place my order next week. Just want to hear from more experienced people what the think. I might still change it to 3000k and 4000k. Or god knows what lol . There’s so much info and opinions out there it’s confusing.

California Lightworks has tunable spectrum light articles that can give you an idea of recipes and optimal mixes at each stage. ScynceLED has many informative articles on the subject as well.

I'm interested in red manipulation but imo a lot of it would be much more beneficial with c02 to really take advantage of finishing times and vigorous growth.

I still haven't invested but I've been looking bridgelux Vestas or ScynceLED but my whole setup needs to be overhauled.

Back