Lighting Quantum board thread.

Hey peeps and lighting gurus,

I had my heart set on 4 x QB96's but HLG UK failed to secure them for me before they went out of stock. Now I'm confused by everything I'm reading. I think it's actually more like my Mrs when she goes shopping... TOO MUCH CHOICE :doh:

I'm currently running 2 x Viparspectra V600's in a 1.2x1.2x2.1 (4'x4'x7') tent and want to upgrade from the BLURPLES. I monitor via IP cam for 90% of the grow and not seeing correct colours makes it hard to adjust nutes.

I'm after a system that is efficient, 2.0 umol/J or higher that can produce 1.5g/W or more. Has deep penetration and that I can set and leave without too much adjustment (tent only gets visited for 15 mins once a week).

I've looked at COBs, HLG QB's, Invisiblesun ISH boards, Electric Sky, SanLight and even Meijiu, R2T, building my own strip lights like the Fluence Spyder and many many more. I've read mixing spectrums of 3k+4k is better than running either individually and/or 3.5k without the need to add far reds. I run 2 rows of 3 Autopots so I'd like to spread the light out (say run 2 rows rather than 1 large unit).

I'd like your advice on which system you think would suit my requirements best at under 600GBP (800USD). I will go higher but there has to be really good evidence to show the extra money is worth it. I'm based in the UK (so bare in mind regarding postage and import tax).

I'm not afraid of some DIY either if that helps?

Thanks everyone :greenthumb:

Tagging a few peeps for advice:
@Slater @pop22 @Vapo69 @Equatorial @Burn victim @Frenjamin Banklin
...Ok dude lol....I am not going to lie to you, I don't know huge amounts about LED lights but I am learning everyday....IDK if you have seen the thread I started in LED Hydroponic section.... I'm trying a Skyline400 for LED Hydro, beautiful panel btw......I have seedlings under it at the moment 6 days old and they love it lol....I wouldn't build myself, I couldn't do it safely....... so buying pre-built is a massive bonus in my opinion....and this Skyline is a solid unit.....I just checked the website and all the spectral analysis info is there for you to look at, I think you mentioned that....Uk company and AFN members and @muddy-ledhydroponic reached out and answered all my questions.....I know i'm totally plugging them but its the best LED I have ever had, so thats as much as I can tell you dude....Check them out, seemed to tick loads of boxes for you when I read your post ......Happy Growing dude :smiley1:

I had my heart set on 4 x QB96's but HLG UK failed to secure them for me before they went out of stock. Now I'm confused by everything I'm reading. I think it's actually more like my Mrs when she goes shopping... TOO MUCH CHOICE :doh:

I'm currently running 2 x Viparspectra V600's in a 1.2x1.2x2.1 (4'x4'x7') tent and want to upgrade from the BLURPLES. I monitor via IP cam for 90% of the grow and not seeing correct colours makes it hard to adjust nutes.

I'm after a system that is efficient, 2.0 umol/J or higher that can produce 1.5g/W or more. Has deep penetration and that I can set and leave without too much adjustment (tent only gets visited for 15 mins once a week).

I've looked at COBs, HLG QB's, Invisiblesun ISH boards, Electric Sky, SanLight and even Meijiu, R2T, building my own strip lights like the Fluence Spyder and many many more. I've read mixing spectrums of 3k+4k is better than running either individually and/or 3.5k without the need to add far reds. I run 2 rows of 3 Autopots so I'd like to spread the light out (say run 2 rows rather than 1 large unit).

I'd like your advice on which system you think would suit my requirements best at under 600GBP (800USD). I will go higher but there has to be really good evidence to show the extra money is worth it. I'm based in the UK (so bare in mind regarding postage and import tax).

Sent you a PM mate

I like qb’s personally , but if I lived in the UK I’d check out UKDIY , I believe that’s the name ? Correct me if I’m wrong someone . The guy sells kits or will custom build what you want for a good price from what I’ve read on here . Good luck & have fun !

3 packs of QB132's with a HLG 600h 36a or b. B would require a potentiometer that you could make external or A has voltage and current control.

$135x3
$190 for the driver https://onlinemeanwell.com/en/hlg600h36b-1531.html
$10-15 x 50ft of 14 or 18g solid core wire

Everything needs to be wired in parallel

I don't know how much aluminum would cost if you wanted to make a frame for them

Arrow.com price matches digikey and any official vendors plus they give 10% off the first purchase so you could get the driver a bit cheaper.

This would be at max 600 watts with 12 boards that could offer 900 watts with different driver configuration with pretty great coverage.

That keeps you in your price range as well but I didn't factor shipping.

I did a bridgelux strip build at 480 watts which should give that minimum 30 watts per square foot but 600 would put you at 37.5 wpsqft

CobsCocoDTWMxPScrog Watch Me Mess Up

I can tell you that running 3k and 4k Cree cobs has put me over 2 gpw. With fastbuds and DP. I felt like the 4K QBs with the V2 chips hade enough red to get there but haven’t finished a grow to be sure. Sorry I can’t be more definitive.
:pass:

I can tell you that running 3k and 4k Cree cobs has put me over 2 gpw. With fastbuds and DP. I felt like the 4K QBs with the V2 chips hade enough red to get there but haven’t finished a grow to be sure. Sorry I can’t be more definitive.
:pass:
The GPW from what I can tell isn't as accurate when you have guys growing at 20-25 watts per square foot. I think it would be more accurate to measure by energy used because the efficiency is different compared to HID lights and when GPW is used. I'm not knocking you or anything because I'm still going to use until I can start tracking by energy consumption and maybe even water usage.

I see people saying mixing spectrums does wonders but there are people only using 3k/3500/4k spectrums that do well. I never found anything compelling enough to mix the spectrums so I stuck with 3000k

CobsCocoDTWMxPScrog Watch Me Mess Up

Completely agree @Damien50

If I could figure out my killawatt meter I think I could get energy per grow. I think my wattage draw on my new four plant room with a single strip I could run the room. Then I’d know ALL the energy required. Also 500 watts for 60 days is a lot less than 120 days. Plus I run four air pumps at 12w constantly.
Comparing GPW is tough when HPS transfer so much to heat it’s not a fair comparison. But I suppose to get a very basic ballpark on light potential I can say for sure that 100 watts of Cree cobs with passive cooling 140mm heatsinks will probably be able to get more GPW than a $49 China cob in a shiny white housing.

I have no compelling evidence either to demand anyone to change. I was inspired by Cobshop grows using only 3500 citizens when I built my lights. Have no real reason why I split spectrum other that I wanted to try something different. For all I know it could be worse.

My GPW numbers are in 8 gallon hydro buckets with MC and I run about 90-100 days at 17/7. Gotta be different
FB
:cheers:

hey Chronic and how ya doing my man...

I think you have 2 choices for that cash, COB's or QB's, DIY build... If you want a pre built unit I can sure recommend the SANlight but that won't do you any good on for your remote camera, gives a pinkish yellow light (I adjust my pics in photoshop for my journals)... amazing lights but at your price you will only be able to get one.

if you go cobs I recommend 3500k, I see better results from 3500k array... mixing 4000k and 3000k works well but I see no diffence between my 3500k space and my mixed 3000k/4000k... when it was just 3000K the 3500K always seem a little better
for cob set up I would do 9 cobs at 1400ma @ about 500w or near about...

personally I would head down the QB route, 4 x QB's at 2100ma at 500w... or run 6 x QB's at 1400ma... Now its up to you if you want to go with Invisblesun, they are not HLG or any where near them as a company. That's not a comment against the product and how it works, Invislbesun is just a drop ship company for Chinese re branding. They even use the same pics the Chinese company use on there own site (go hunting on alibaba.com and you will see them and you can even order your self a few hundred and get you name printed on them)... but that does not mean they work, the parts are not knock offs. Genuine Samsung diodes but at what bin is questionable. I have built a unit by InvislbeSun for a friend and he is well happy. Have to say the kits are good and don't come across as cheap parts but the dimmer is a pain in the ass to wire... to be honest the price's are the same now. I would put my money with HLG there costumer service is some of the best... I would go with diyleduk.com for HLG, yes he does sells out fast but I haven't heard of them not meeting orders... I've delt with the guy your talking about and I still wonder why HLG are using him.

I have to put this in...my next purchase will be the Chilltech growmua5 pucs with that added extra red... I think it's must and that why I think my SANlight are beating my HLG's... that added red go hell of long way

Hey guys (@Damien50 @Vapo69 @Burn victim @Frenjamin Banklin @Slater)
Thanks so much for jumping in on this and helping me out :bow:
What a selection of choices!

Since my post I emailed Stephen at HLG (US... going direct this time!) to find out when the 96's will be back in stock... we'll see what he comes back with but I'm not holding out hope that it'll be soon.

So from all my lovely answers and as my back-up plan I took a look over at diyleduk.com but they're on holiday for another 10 days; so the site is down. I'll be sure to contact them for a quote on a bespoke order on the 3rd. Are they on AFN too?

I think I like the sound of either 9 COBs or 6 QB's. I notice HLG now do kits for reds and far reds so I'll include this in my build.
2019-03-24_10-35-51.jpg

I was thinking along the lines of Slater's suggestion like this:
6 x QB288 V2 = 1728 diodes ($414)
QB_w_reds.jpg

or.. Damien's suggestion like this:
3 packs of QB132 V2 (12 boards) = 1584 diodes ($405)
QB132_w_reds.jpg

Prices are just for the boards on the HLG website. The far reds are an additional $69 and of course there's the drivers, postage etc.

COB's would be the same design as above, just picture circles and one less row horizontally. I'll get some quotes for this too.

As soon as I have my definitive design/answer I'll let you all know.

Again, thanks for the advice guys
:smokeout::thumbsup:

If running cobs I’d use the same design as your 132s but substitute cobs for boards. Run 12. 75w cobs would max at the same 75w as the boards. Cobs will be more expensive than the 132s. You can run the 132 at 50w per board without active cooling. 75w per with fan on them. Cobs you have the additional cost of heat sinks.

Cobs are definitely proven. Boards and strips have some great grows. Not going to go wrong either way.

Don’t forget to show us the final product

FB
:frog:

hey Chronic and how ya doing my man...

I think you have 2 choices for that cash, COB's or QB's, DIY build... If you want a pre built unit I can sure recommend the SANlight but that won't do you any good on for your remote camera, gives a pinkish yellow light (I adjust my pics in photoshop for my journals)... amazing lights but at your price you will only be able to get one.

if you go cobs I recommend 3500k, I see better results from 3500k array... mixing 4000k and 3000k works well but I see no diffence between my 3500k space and my mixed 3000k/4000k... when it was just 3000K the 3500K always seem a little better
for cob set up I would do 9 cobs at 1400ma @ about 500w or near about...

personally I would head down the QB route, 4 x QB's at 2100ma at 500w... or run 6 x QB's at 1400ma... Now its up to you if you want to go with Invisblesun, they are not HLG or any where near them as a company. That's not a comment against the product and how it works, Invislbesun is just a drop ship company for Chinese re branding. They even use the same pics the Chinese company use on there own site (go hunting on alibaba.com and you will see them and you can even order your self a few hundred and get you name printed on them)... but that does not mean they work, the parts are not knock offs. Genuine Samsung diodes but at what bin is questionable. I have built a unit by InvislbeSun for a friend and he is well happy. Have to say the kits are good and don't come across as cheap parts but the dimmer is a pain in the ass to wire... to be honest the price's are the same now. I would put my money with HLG there costumer service is some of the best... I would go with diyleduk.com for HLG, yes he does sells out fast but I haven't heard of them not meeting orders... I've delt with the guy your talking about and I still wonder why HLG are using him.

I have to put this in...my next purchase will be the Chilltech growmua5 pucs with that added extra red... I think it's must and that why I think my SANlight are beating my HLG's... that added red go hell of long way

Hey slater dude are Invisible sun really just rebranded chinese product?
They claim to make their own boards.
Even claim their boards give a more even distrubution of voltage than hlg eto each diode by use of transistors designed by their engineers.

Dont quote me word for word as im no expert on this but thats the jist of it.

Also i have no ties to any company.. i actually bought the chinese made boards

Back