Lighting Quantum board thread.

HLG makes their lights in house, by the way.
They are most definitely not made in China.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

I don’t believe the Samsung chips are made in the USA but I could be wrong.
The fixtures from HLG clearly are assembled in the USA.

I just think a question about light height of an off brand light would have been much better in its own thread. Not one that had been dedicated to HLG.

I’m sure Pop or I could go on in depth about the major differences and inadequacies of the “copies” but clearly the propaganda of the seller would out weigh our common sense. I would be very careful of this board. My guess would be that the seller is severely under driving the boards because he knows they are a D-stock item. Or he just chose to be really cheap and not include more drivers.

I have no doubt you will grow some fantastic weed with them. I don’t think pop or I meant to insult you or make you feel bad. It’s kinds like when you see the guy putting gas in his mower with a blunt in his mouth. You just wanna scream before he blows himself to hell. Then you realize he knows how dangerous it is, so you let him rock on. And run the other way.
As I shall now do
Peace
:pass:

Stopped by the grow store on the way home today to grab a bottle of silica. Walked in and thought I saw a light I just built. Nope it was the Nextlight veg light, $500 plus I think, maybe a 300 watt but not sure. What I wanted to see was he diode quality. Of course I’m an idiot but the diodes in the Nextlight seemed to be washed out around the edges of each diode. And they dint seem to have any gloss protective coating on them. None of this may matter at all but it’s the same things I’ve seen on my Cree cob chips vs the 1000 watt cobs for $99 on Amazon lol.

Here’s the Samsung chips on my 132s
6AD59F77-DF1C-4BA3-95D8-4DD95D11B20F.jpeg
B66E7AA7-658C-4140-8416-2006E7B27C05.jpeg

What really struck me was the design and build of the light by Nextlight, very similar as alto of the home made jobs like mine below.
1B02C8CE-CAFD-4BCF-90EA-984F8ADC3AE7.jpeg
1289AAE0-F903-4327-99E5-991BD7B610EC.jpeg

But what confuses me is the cost people are willing to spend for wattages.
The rail above is 4 QB 132s with meanwell drive and can push 300w. But only cost me $225. I have two for $450. So I can push 600w for $450. I’ll actually only pull 400 watts because with a quality setup you can run the leds and drivers in their optimal efficiency zone and get plenty of light. You’ll be able to pull over 1.5 gpw with high quality chips easily so running 100w per plant etc etc.
Long story but

.75 cents per watt is what the light cost me to build. With high quality first run verified and warranted components. Assembled at least in th USA.

Before that I was excited to build the cob setup from Rapid LED at $1100 for 900w thought that was cheap.

Good vibes to all.

Well, I got my light installed today and the temperature went to 29.2c in the tent. I might have to put a fan in there to get some air moving.
The boards and drivers are at 47 degrees. I might have to move the drivers outside of the tent to eliminate that heat source.

Just ordered a 3500k 288pcs 80cri Cree J series kit from Cutter Electronics!

This is a single board for my breeding project replacing 2x 60w blurples and a 110w starlight t5

I spoke to Cutter and they build the boards up themself so I asked if they can include some UVA diodes as well,they said yes and are getting back to me with the price variation.

How many do you think I would need on a 288pcs board?

If this goes well I'll get a 4 board flowering array using 90cri 3000k diodes and a mix of far red and UVA.

I have a 860w CMH 4000k that I'll be using for veg and then the Sol-Skin boards for flowering perpetual for 2x 4x4 grow area running 4 plants each in hydro! :thumbsup:

I thought we already had an understanding of these boards that we would not need to argue about copies and stuff! Its a pity to sidetrack this good thread with pointless arguments. At the end of the day, we wanna grow good herb, period. Always remember that my bros!

Let me put it as simply as I can. Diodes on PCB boards have existed for ages! Think signboards, tv, displays, showrooms etc! No one to my knowledge has patents or rights to producing PCB boards with led diodes on them. Heck even blurples uses PCBs!

So lets say HLG designed a board of a certain dimension and put 288pcs of diodes on it. They then designed the board to accept 54V. So now they have a 288 board for sale. Its their product no doubt but which part do they own?

So if another dude makes the same board but adjust input voltage to say 48V, will that be a different product? Or should this dude NOT be allowed to sell his version?

What if another dude creates a totally different sized board with different diode count and totally different driver configuration? Still wrong?

So if I start using say Philips diodes on PCB boards for Horticulture purposes. And if I find out I'm the first one to do so, no one else can do the same? Or even a variation of it? Really? I did not invent the PCB or the diodes!

This is a good tech for growing and different companies are catering to different consumers with different needs. There are more and more options and we should be happy with that. None of us are gaining a cent from supporting this or that company!

In short, a board is as good as its specs, no matter who you buy from. I would argue that real factories, due to their specialization and experience, not to mention machinery would produce better boards than HLG in house or not. If you wanna be patriotic about it, good for you but not everyone is American.

We should be discussing how to best use these lights for better quality herbs. Thats our No.1 passion! Not which company wins more market share! Screw them all! I'd side with my grow bros/sis over these companies any day!

Lets get back to what we love!

:yellowcard:
I was not saying but American(almost impossible) and I don’t have any loyalty to any company and have realized we live in a world where Intellectual Property is nonexistent.
:baghead:
If we are going to help people I think part of that is helping them understand what they have and what’s the limitations are. Also by looking into problems we can help others that come after us reading this thread figure out how to make the best choices.

We are a few pages removed from the light in question and trying to determine correct height. But along those lines let me propose a few thoughts about what I’ve been thinking.

@BigSm0 offers an excellent light for sale, it might be only 65w give it take but I have seen many people flowers plants under a single one. If a 2’ by 2’ area then in that case actual wattage per square foot is 16w. So we can use that and know we can grow and flower with 16w Per square foot.

I know this might seem crazy but I think there is good info here so continue reading. I am not super familiar with the efficiency of the Autocob but I assume it’s been set up to run st peak efficiency for the cob and driver. So proven platform with easily replicatable heights.

Now onto QBs. I run my QBs the same way i have seen others set them up. Pair the driver with your boards so you could run them at max wattage but plan your area so running them 50-75% allows you enough light and coverage and peak efficiency. I am able to keep both cobs and QBs at 12-18 inches at all times. Starting at 50% max cob wattage then progressing to 75% max cob wattage at full flower which also requires 75% output from the driver. The height I run is pretty universal amongst many high quality lights (led).

Side note before final point. 600w HPS would put out 40w per square foot in a 4by4. Which is why 30-40 inches many times is recommend over seedlings and young plants. Also light is usually operating somewhere near max wattage.

So here is the concern about the light that started this exchange and my concern with its setup and use. Without going back to get numbers exact I am going to generalize. The unit had 6 boards, I’m not sure of the exact wattage or draw of the board but I I can hypothesize 150 each( they had heat sinks) so that the total wattage that fixture might be capable of could be 900w. We know the driver is 300w (33% of maximum). If we assume it was designed to at least flower a 4by4 then at max driver wattage the light should put out 18.75 watts per square foot. So why not just hang it at 12-18 inches an it should perform well.

My thoughts and I’d love to have a discussion and hear feedback. With the chips being driven at 33%. Driver at 100% the chips may not be getting enough voltage to actually get the full spectrum. And then when the driver gets doomed to 50% and the chips are at 15% who knows what’s happing. Do we know from the manufacturers what the minimum driven wattage is to achieve full spectrum of light. It might be my eye or my camera but I swear when I dim my cobs/QBs down they get more orange the lowers the driven voltage. What if the non HLG board with a single driver being discussed here is actually just putting out half of the usable spectrum because of severely under driving the LEDS ? If we lose red in veg who cares I guess, but what if 33% power is just not enough to really push the blue end of the spectrum. This would certainly account for poor performance of plants in veg.

I’ve seen a lot of talk about efficiency on the higher ends of the equipments limits, but what about losses when running them under 40% ?

Either way, I have lights. They work great. I just wanted to continue the fantastic AFN vibe and get everyone a quality light. I shared my thoughts and costs to prove that we don’t need to spend a ton of money to get great lights. A little knowledge can go a very long way.

In regards to the light with one driver at 300w i would think adding a second identical driver and running 3 boards of each would probably be enough to get the boards into their optimal range. 600 w from the wall with LED in a 4by4 would be great. Set it and forget it at 12-18 inches

Good vibes to all
FB
:pass:
:vibes:

Hi mate
Great post but if you are referring to my light then that is a 600w driver.

I see the HLG 600 when I zoom into the pictures, and the title off the add you linked says 600w. But the spec sheet lists 240w and the description states that it can be run at 120/240. Maybe just an issue with the sellers listing format or whatever. For your sake I’d want to know what it’s pulling from the wall at the very least. I’ve bought a killawatt meter so I can then create hash marks on my dimmers to know wall wattage. Very helpful and they only run $25 or so bucks. Crazy some of the things that pull wattages I would not have expected.

If the boards are max 160w each for a total of 960w for the 6 then 600 watts should have the LEDs running at give or take 65%. I would think 18-24 inches (sorry for the US measurement) at full power should be good for seedlings.

My thoughts on light configuration would be to get a wattage meter so you know exactly where you stand. And only change one variable at a time, either light intensity or distance. Once you know what kind of wattages per square foot you are putting out its much easier to compare lights heights with other grows and to establish a reference for future grows.

FWIW based on the link you provided it looked like you got ripped off by a descriptive seller. No one wants that to happen to anyone. Even us yanks

FB:bighug:

Hey man just seen this just made switch to qb 96elite v2 running 2 in a 40in w x 20in d x 62in h @ 335watts off a hlg320-2800ma and so far i like better than my 1400ma 1212 citi build also better then my 700ma 1212 citi build also have a citi cxb thats about the same as my 100w ea vero build so far the 96s i like better. Anyone have these only seen a few builds/grows with them. Nice build thou love to see diy

Hey man just seen this just made switch to qb 96elite v2 running 2 in a 40in w x 20in d x 62in h @ 335watts off a hlg320-2800ma and so far i like better than my 1400ma 1212 citi build also better then my 700ma 1212 citi build also have a citi cxb thats about the same as my 100w ea vero build so far the 96s i like better. Anyone have these only seen a few builds/grows with them. Nice build thou love to see diy
I have my QB96V2's just waiting on other parts. I will be building two pendant style run parallel off of a remote(out of tent) HLG 320H 54A. I'll get some finished shot when done.

Back