Lighting Quantum board thread.

Something ain’t right? People don’t bye from China to get less for more ,that light has 6 boards or more? It’s gotta pull more the 240w ? Why the frick would anyone pay $600 from China for that ? Does Samsung have a factory in the USA? Lol ! I live & buy from the USA but don’t piss on people’s parades who don’t , like I own stock in a company lol! Lots of people on this site do well with those lights. It’s like bitching about generic medicine that does the same shit for half the price ? All this LED shit is outsourced just like pc’s & tv’s , if RCA made grow lights in the states I wouldn’t buy that shit lol . try to bye an American made tv , have fun !

Last edited:
The cheap knockoff was inserted into a thread about HLG boards. Off course anyone is free to buy any board they like for whatever reason they like. It had been mentioned several times throughout this thread and many others that it’s not always the best etiquette to jump into a thread that is dedicated to one light or specific manufacturer with cheap imitations. It can be very confusing later on when people are trying to get information about one specific product line and the thread is littered with cobbled together lights made in someone’s basement in rural China from most likely all bootlegged products at twice the price.

Maybe we should start a section or your should start s thread “cost effective knockoffs that may or may not work” it would be a great way to share information so that people would not be confused.
But for the record this thread was about

QB lights which are sold by HLG, which of course are made somewhere in China but are not the same as what you are discussing.

:bighug:

Although I do detest thieving ripoffs, my point was not to make anyone look bad, its to point out you need to pay attention to specs of products you buy. And the big one here, which was a lesson learned from all the shitty "burple" lights conning people with inflated "equivalent" wattage ratings. And the 240 watt driver also should have been a red flag. I understand trying to save a buck and in the beginning, i made the same mistake. I hate seeing people get ripped off by these thieves.

HLG's boards cost more, so what. Ask them why. I know, I've followed their development. They didn't just plop some chips on a board and call it good. They spend hundreds of hours designing and testing their light. I'll bet any amount those Chinese knockoffs never saw the inside of a testing sphere or even a meter to test output.
HLG's boards are thicker, contain more copper and thus dissipate heat better. They buy their chips from Samsung directly, so they KNOW what they are getting. And now, they even manufacture their own boards, right here in the USA.

So yes, maybe you got a good one, but maybe not and you have NO way to tell without testing it. I hope everyone here has the good fortune of having bought a good light. But if a deal sounds to good to be true............ run the other way!

And hope you never need warranty support...good luck with that.

That's because, ans sorry, I don't know a polite way to say this but you got rooked. That " 600 watt " light isn't, its a 240 watt light. which also tells my those are NOT Samsung LM301B chips, because if the were EACH board could do 160 watts. I try to tell people not to trust these alibaba dealers. Pay the price and get real QB boards from HLG, you know, the ones with a 3 year warranty......... and Real Samsung chips.

Look, this is the spec sheet. THIS is why your plants are smaller

View attachment 1024245

Well spotted, I missed that. However I did a quick look up to link to what I thought was my light and on face value it is, but it is certainly not pulling 240w from the wall, it is pulling 604w.
So unless there is some magic going on so my power meter is reading what I was sold then, China have impressed me in another way

This light is certainly pulling 600w from the wall and I am not doubting there authenticity, due to seeing other growers with the same light doing well.

I am doubting my lack of experience and using the wrong tools for the job. But it is what I have to work with.
I am probably blasting to much light

This is my light https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.icbuShop.rect38f22d.4.ce8c65e81hD7Rl
I might be totally out to lunch on this, but that light would be way strong for seedlings. You’d have to dim it substantially. I put my seedlings under a cfl cluster before I veg it under a blurple and then move it under the big one for flowering.
I agree, I think it’s this. I cannot get the balance right.

It says right in the details what it is. And yes, for 240 watt, that’s a bit rich.
Correct, I think that’s an error on their part in the product description.

Its a normal learning curve. These are monster lights. I burnt seedlings and/or caused excessive stretch on my first try. Add different strains/phenos into the mix and it gets more confusing. Most of the time, us growers catch the problem in time (Cos we check every 2 secs) and adjust height or dim to compensate. I've read of seedling burns at only 25% with 800 boards which is about half your total wattage.

Imo, nothing wrong with your lights. Russell is also a pretty cool dude. Better English than most I'd say.
I feel the same, just trying to get the balance right with this, even if the lights were 240w it would be enough for the plants to thrive if done right.
But I can confirm this light is 600w from the wall.
I am going to buy a lux meter, can’t warrant a par and then look to do some conversion.
Would this offer any benefit to how much light my “light” outputs....?

Something ain’t right? People don’t bye from China to get less for more ,that light has 6 boards or more? It’s gotta pull more the 240w ? Why the frick would anyone pay $600 from China for that ? Does Samsung have a factory in the USA? Lol ! I live & buy from the USA but don’t piss on people’s parades who don’t , like I own stock in a company lol! Lots of people on this site do well with those lights. It’s like bitching about generic medicine that does the same shit for half the price ? All this LED shit is outsourced just like pc’s & tv’s , if RCA made grow lights in the states I wouldn’t buy that shit lol . try to bye an American made tv , have fun !

Fair point... I am not questioning my purchase, just my growing skills.
Lol

Glad its not the one in that first link lol! Glad you got a good one!

Well spotted, I missed that. However I did a quick look up to link to what I thought was my light and on face value it is, but it is certainly not pulling 240w from the wall, it is pulling 604w.
So unless there is some magic going on so my power meter is reading what I was sold then, China have impressed me in another way

This light is certainly pulling 600w from the wall and I am not doubting there authenticity, due to seeing other growers with the same light doing well.

I am doubting my lack of experience and using the wrong tools for the job. But it is what I have to work with.

This is my light https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.icbuShop.rect38f22d.4.ce8c65e81hD7Rl

I feel the same, just trying to get the balance right with this, even if the lights were 240w it would be enough for the plants to thrive if done right.
I am going to buy a lux meter, can’t warrant a par and then look to do some conversion.

Lol

Glad its not the one in that first link lol! Glad you got a good one!
Thanks mate, and I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

I have just looked at the chart posted here, which is based on 48” height and 600w power
9E44626C-8795-46CE-898C-9F541F072346.jpeg

With my grow space being 1m x 1.1m I have put the light at 48” above the pots and used this info https://growace.com/blog/why-is-par-rating-a-big-deal-for-indoor-grow-light-systems/

“Between 200-400 PPFD: This is great for seedlings, clones, and mother plants.”

So in theory looking at the test chart the manufacturer has done, I should be somewhere in the right range...
Hope I am right

So effectively I have put the light 48” above and put it as 600w

The cheap knockoff was inserted into a thread about HLG boards. Off course anyone is free to buy any board they like for whatever reason they like. It had been mentioned several times throughout this thread and many others that it’s not always the best etiquette to jump into a thread that is dedicated to one light or specific manufacturer with cheap imitations. It can be very confusing later on when people are trying to get information about one specific product line and the thread is littered with cobbled together lights made in someone’s basement in rural China from most likely all bootlegged products at twice the price.

Maybe we should start a section or your should start s thread “cost effective knockoffs that may or may not work” it would be a great way to share information so that people would not be confused.

QB lights which are sold by HLG, which of course are made somewhere in China but are not the same as what you are discussing.

I get that , but new people might not know the difference . being rude & telling them they bought shit ain’t the right way to inform them . If an HLG rep/vendor started the thread spamming would be even worse. Sadly HLG gives no support to AFN .

HLG makes their lights in house, by the way.
They are most definitely not made in China.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

Lol
Sorry man , that really wasn’t meant for you . That light is a killer deal with that frame .

HLG makes their lights in house, by the way.
They are most definitely not made in China.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome
So Samsung & Meanwell have a factory in the USA? Other wise the parts are shipped from abroad & assembled in the USA . That’s not made in the USA imo . A Toyota built in America is still Japanese lol.

Back