Lighting Quantum board thread.

Its not the soft and hard running that worries me. We can simply dim them to make it work according to strain, environment etc. Therefore, not a biggie.

Its the fact that our lights is around 950mm x 700mm. Your area is around 1200mm x 1200mm while mine is around 1500mm x 900mm.

We know the lights give out a pine cone shaped footprint, from the top. It needs a certain distance to spread out evenly. We mixed/ arranged the boards the way we did to get a good and even spectrum. Ideally, we want each spot to receive all the mix of 3000K, 4000K and reds we added. Therefore, distance is key for an even spread, or all each plant gets is the light directly above it.

Get my idea? In a nutshell, I wanna get them as close as possible but with enough distance so that all the boards can kinda cross beams. Too close and they only get what is above them. This is the distance and the sweet spot i wish to achieve. Your input would be great. Although I'll be receiving mine in about a week, I'll be growing only in mid April earliest.
I see your point :)
It’ll take some experimenting, for sure. But we have time ;)

@Equatorial How do you suppose we can dim the reds? They’re on full blast since the driver has no dimming. Or can that be done via a regular household dimmer in line with the power cable?

@Equatorial How do you suppose we can dim the reds? They’re on full blast since the driver has no dimming. Or can that be done via a regular household dimmer in line with the power cable?

I'm not sure if the reds comes with dimmable drivers. I'm guessing they don't. Otherwise, they would try to sell dimmers to us. Its the Osram diodes that are expensive for the reds imo.

I only know the basics when it comes to hands on stuff so not much help I can offer. My personal opinion on the matter is, the 40W red strip does not need dimming. Red diodes are usually already much lower in efficiency compared to white ones.

These Osram red diodes are expensive cos they are more efficient than most. Most of the time during flower, we want more but can't get more red. Old tech red diodes are less efficient and don't penetrate that well. Thats the reason companies like Rapid, HLG and many others have red and/or blue supplement bars/ strips/ pucks for sale. But you will notice that they are nowhere as bright as your white light QBs. They are for supplement.

For your situation, your white boards are run very soft. If I assume 185w for each board, it'll be around 550w. Adding 80W of red is still less than 20% of your total lights. You get 630W total which sounds totally fine in your area. Again, its the distance that I am most concerned about.

Hope it helps.

I really need to do something with these far red strips. I haven’t figured out / decided how I’m going to time them in coordination with my regular light schedule(s).

3f13b2145118d34b8d2c287c3dcea6c0.jpg

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

I'm not sure if the reds comes with dimmable drivers. I'm guessing they don't. Otherwise, they would try to sell dimmers to us. Its the Osram diodes that are expensive for the reds imo.

I only know the basics when it comes to hands on stuff so not much help I can offer. My personal opinion on the matter is, the 40W red strip does not need dimming. Red diodes are usually already much lower in efficiency compared to white ones.

These Osram red diodes are expensive cos they are more efficient than most. Most of the time during flower, we want more but can't get more red. Old tech red diodes are less efficient and don't penetrate that well. Thats the reason companies like Rapid, HLG and many others have red and/or blue supplement bars/ strips/ pucks for sale. But you will notice that they are nowhere as bright as your white light QBs. They are for supplement.

For your situation, your white boards are run very soft. If I assume 185w for each board, it'll be around 550w. Adding 80W of red is still less than 20% of your total lights. You get 630W total which sounds totally fine in your area. Again, its the distance that I am most concerned about.

Hope it helps.

That’s some top notch info there, yet again :)
Thank you!

@918AutoGrower Thats something I’ve not quite figured out yet. But I think I want to run my regular lights for 11.5 hours and have the reds start 15 minutes before until 15 minutes after, giving 12 hours total in red. Since I do Photos.
But who knows!?

Thank you!

@918AutoGrower Thats something I’ve not quite figured out yet. But I think I want to run my regular lights for 11.5 hours and have the reds start 15 minutes before until 15 minutes after, giving 12 hours total in red. Since I do Photos.
But who knows!?

Keep me apprised on whatever you find and I’ll do the same. I’m sure between the two of us (and maybe someone else who already knows what to do) we can figure it out!

Keep me apprised on whatever you find and I’ll do the same. I’m sure between the two of us (and maybe someone else who already knows what to do) we can figure it out!

For sure :)

Thank you!

But who knows!?

I would do 12 hours of the same and add your 15 minutes before and after. Emerson effect would apply to both autos and photos and times on/off is not relevant in this case. The only difference is the initiator effect. This would only apply to photos. The idea is to let them fall asleep and wake up sooner, thus maximizing yield and shortening time. Therefore, there is no need to deprive them of the normal lighting times. The extra 15 mins wont matter imo. Its like a lullaby at the end and an alarm clock at the start. The theory (Not mine) is that far reds travels the longest. Thats why we see them last at sundown and first at sunrise. This is why we use them first and last on photos to signal the start and beginning of the working day!

This is just my very personal opinion though. I could very well be wrong. Never tried it myself. Just thought to give my 2 cents on the subject.

HLG gave me this last month in Denver at the InfoExpo and they asked me to test it / try it....and try to do some kind of comparison on identical phenotypes with and without the far red.

They included a little box which powers the small far red boards / strips, but the box also has a sensor in it that detects the beginning of your lights out period. In other words, when the sensor no longer registers any light in the grow space, it kicks on the far red for either 3 minutes or 5 minutes (you can choose).

I have t really played around with it much because I plan on using it on the next Incredible Bulk strain that I put in flower. I think it is the best strain that I have to introduce the far red into my grow room because I am on my 5th run of this strain and the same pheno (all from the same mother plant). So, if there is a difference in how she finishes with the far red, I will definitely pick up on it I think.

2dfa202d258eaaa916c0bd60c7fac847.jpg

I would do 12 hours of the same and add your 15 minutes before and after. Emerson effect would apply to both autos and photos and times on/off is not relevant in this case. The only difference is the initiator effect. This would only apply to photos. The idea is to let them fall asleep and wake up sooner, thus maximizing yield and shortening time. Therefore, there is no need to deprive them of the normal lighting times. The extra 15 mins wont matter imo. Its like a lullaby at the end and an alarm clock at the start. The theory (Not mine) is that far reds travels the longest. Thats why we see them last at sundown and first at sunrise. This is why we use them first and last on photos to signal the start and beginning of the working day!

This is just my very personal opinion though. I could very well be wrong. Never tried it myself. Just thought to give my 2 cents on the subject.

I agree that 30 minutes of light is a lot to take away. I’ll however stick to my plan since this grow is almost done and I don’t want to screw shit up if you end up being wrong with adding the 2x15 minutes to the 12.
But I’ll try that next round when I switch to flower.

Back