Lighting Quantum board thread.

Have to say the remote control that came with the driver on my light is actually really useful.
I thought it was a gimmick but i really like it now.

Here it is running at 50% 240watts beside a 600w hps. I think its as bright as the hps at nearly 1/3rd the draw
Photo_1551164638894.jpg

Have to say the remote control that came with the driver on my light is actually really useful.
I thought it was a gimmick but i really like it now.

Here it is running at 50% 240watts beside a 600w hps. I think its as bright as the hps at nearly 1/3rd the draw
View attachment 1021390
I think it’s brighter. Color spectrum is better making brighter looking light anyways. These lights r powerful Looking good gonna wind up making yourself another one lol.

So, the panels showed up today and I’m really happy with the quality. I had bought aluminum angle to build frames but these boards are solid and don’t really need it at all. I’ll frame them anyways cos I’m anal that way.
The packaging was some of the best I’ve had over the years of shopping online.
Since my drivers aren’t here yet, I have to wait to test them. But if the quality is an indicator, then I’ll be one happy grower :)

Hi,

the high voltage 54 Volt LED driver like the Meanwell HLG-150H-54A (at least $50 USD) / Meanwell HLG-240H-54A (at least $70 USD) are not really that cheap and hard to get locally.
I was thinking about a generic solution.
A generic 100-240 Volt AC to 36 Volt DC / 5 A / 180 W power supply you can get from eBay for $17 USD (incl. postage)
And a "20A DC/DC Converter Step-up Module 10-60V to 12-83V" constant current & constant voltage. From eBay for $15 USD (incl. postage).
Such a combo has the advantage (according to the specs.) of a huge range of adjustable voltage and current with a conversion efficiency of up to 97%.
I was wondering, has someone successful done this ?

Example products:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-DC-5V...h-Power-Supply-Driver-3D-Printer/143008552698
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200W-20A-...up-Power-Module-10-60V-to-12-83V/283307087099

Last edited:
Hi,

the high voltage 54 Volt LED driver like the Meanwell HLG-150H-54A (at least $50 USD) / Meanwell HLG-240H-54A (at least $70 USD) are not really that cheap and hard to get locally.
A generic 100-240 Volt AC to 36 Volt DC / 5 A / 180 W power supply you can get from eBay for $17 USD (incl. postage)
And a "20A DC/DC Converter Step-up Module 10-60V to 12-83V" constant current & constant voltage. From eBay for $15 USD (incl. postage).
Such a combo has the advantage (according to the specs.) of a huge range of adjustable voltage and current with a conversion efficiency of up to 97%.

Example products:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-DC-5V...h-Power-Supply-Driver-3D-Printer/143008552698
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200W-20A-...up-Power-Module-10-60V-to-12-83V/283307087099

I like that you think outside the box but it doesn’t look like there’s much going in that direction at all, sadly. This would be interesting.

Hi,

Example products:
Unless it was designed for an led you more than likely will get flicker/ripple issues, especially when dimmed down. I would also look for the IP65 rating like the stated meanwell drivers have. I would consider a grow operation at least a damp location(water,humidity). So safety should be another concern to think about. Interesting idea though.

Last edited:
Unless it was designed for an led you more than likely will get flicker/ripple issues, especially when dimmed down. I would also look for the IP65 rating like the stated meanwell drivers have. I would consider a grow operation at least a damp location(water,humidity). So safety should be another concern to think about. Interesting idea though.

I was taking it for granted that building your own LED cv/cc power supply is not for the inexperienced novice.
My growing environment is dry and fully automated. No concerns about water.
The DC/DC step-up module uses a modern controller chip running the conversion at about 150 KHz. Hence the high conversion efficiency. No flickering.
I'm using a Mean Well HLG-240H-54A with a 140 Watt 288 V.2 (original) quantum board.
And I'm not pleased with the Mean Well driver.
- Mean Well does not use multiturn precision potentiometers. Adjusting the voltage I want is a pain.
- The current I want is outside the adjustable range (to low) of the HLG-240H-54A.
I will use my generic LED driver suggestion in my next project (don't hold your breath...).

Last edited:
I was taking it for granted that building your own LED cv/cc power supply is not for the inexperienced novice.
My growing environment is dry and fully automated. No concerns about water.
The DC/DC step-up module uses a modern controller chip running the conversion at about 150 KHz. Hence the high conversion efficiency. No flickering.
I'm using a Mean Well HLG-240H-54A with a 140 Watt 288 V.2 (original) quantum board.
And I'm not pleased with the Mean Well driver.
- Mean Well does not use multiturn precision potentiometers. Adjusting the voltage I want is a pain.
- The current I want is outside the adjustable range (to low) of the HLG-240H-54A.
I will use my generic LED driver suggestion in my next project (don't hold your breath...).
I'd be interested in being tagged in anything you do on this project :)

If this won’t cover my 4x4, nothing will.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-2_13-27-5.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-2_13-27-5.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 135
Back