Lighting Quantum board thread.

I'm starting to think the 3500k range is the better K to have... my tent with just the cobs has one side 3000k and the other 3500k and that side with 3500k always performs that little bit better. Buds seem slightly bigger that side, there is just a little bit more oomph from the plants on that side.

What i think I might do for the next buils is QB@s at 3000k with a mix of COB's at 3500K with the odd 4000K

Its the blue, @Slater!

I've noticed on my current grow. Although I intentionally harvested a few plants early, I can't help but notice I got much larger buds with the 3000K QB vs my 3500K cobs. I blasted blurples as side light for both grows so thats a fixed variable for me. Although buds are clearly larger, they are also more airy and more susceptible to foxtailing. When I noticed this, I turned up the 4000K board and lessened the blurple exposure for the next plant in line for chopping.

This next plant now has much more dense bud and frost is intense.

Seems there is such a thing as too much red. Seems to be a trade off between flower matter and density of buds. OR just need a more all inclusive spectrum to get best of both worlds.

Regardless, the 4000K spectrum is a keeper for SURE! Not just good for veg like I originally thought. If you look at spectrum chart, 4000K has lotsa red too. Its just that the higher spike in blue makes us see it cooler. You actually get more light in total. The spike in blue means its a great tool to have when you wanna add some blue during flower but not at the expense of losing too much red.

Although combining 3000K and 4000K might seem like its better to just use 3500K. But unlike using straight 3500K like I did last grow, combining both 3k and 4k allows for a ton of red/blue combo. I.e 100% 3000K + 50% 4000K etc.

So much new stuff to play with......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can assemble their kits in 5 minutes or less.......

2 boards won't quite equal a 600 watt hps, I'd go with 4. Then run them dimmed a bit and even then they'll exceed your hps light. I run mine at 85 watts per board for a total power draw including the driver of 360 watts. So you'd be using 140 watts less power, so better than 35% less.

2 QB 304 could come close run hard at 150 watts each which is max and still be 25% more efficient but you'd have a smaller footprint

use the slate2 double heatsinks and you don't have to build a frame, just mount the boards and hangers, connect the wires and your ready.

This is a great thread but I’m still none the wiser on what to get! (Totally new to leds)

I’ve settled on quantum over the cobs and I don’t have the time to build so want a pre made plug and go type solution.

Currently use
- prostar cfl 5500 lumens for seeds to shoots
- x2 PowerPlant hps 600w superveg for Few weeks of veg
- x2 sylvania 600w hps for flower which ends up being 80% of the entire grow

Will 2 boards be enough and comparible to above?
Has anyone done a similar switch and recommend anything?

I want something that can do everything from seed to flower covering all spectrums

Realistically what kind of difference in power consumption should I expect? The hps drink electricity!

Any pointers to specific setups would be amazing. Cheers

The QB has better spectrum than a standard COB. the 3500k QB is a great all around board I doubt you'll see much difference compared to the 3000k board.

And I've seen some impressive grows from users running 4000k boards. They have more blue yet the red is almost indentical to the 3500K boards. Samsung has really done their homework with spectrum

Its the blue, @Slater!

I've noticed on my current grow. Although I intentionally harvested a few plants early, I can't help but notice I got much larger buds with the 3000K QB vs my 3500K cobs. I blasted blurples as side light for both grows so thats a fixed variable for me. Although buds are clearly larger, they are also more airy and more susceptible to foxtailing. When I noticed this, I turned up the 4000K board and lessened the blurple exposure for the next plant in line for chopping.

This next plant now has much more dense bud and frost is intense.

Seems there is such a thing as too much red. Seems to be a trade off between flower matter and density of buds. OR just need a more all inclusive spectrum to get best of both worlds.

Regardless, the 4000K spectrum is a keeper for SURE! Not just good for veg like I originally thought. If you look at spectrum chart, 4000K has lotsa red too. Its just that the higher spike in blue makes us see it cooler. You actually get more light in total. The spike in blue means its a great tool to have when you wanna add some blue during flower but not at the expense of losing too much red.

Although combining 3000K and 4000K might seem like its better to just use 3500K. But unlike using straight 3500K like I did last grow, combining both 3k and 4k allows for a ton of red/blue combo. I.e 100% 3000K + 50% 4000K etc.

So much new stuff to play with......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for my 2 that are driven @2100ma I'm finding 10" at the very closest and my other 3 that are at @1050ma easy 8" ... at 5" I've seen bleaching... this is with photo's

seen as its auto's @F.N. I would aim for 21"+ and slowly lower it until you find that sweet spot, I've not yet used my QB's on auto's but I know with my cobs that the auto's prefer about a 18" hang hight
I am growing Photoperiod plants bro after one night at 23 inches the plants were digging it they were reaching for it so IAM happy.

I'm growing photos also and I just dropped mine to about 20". She's been on 12/12 for a couple days now. She should start stretching soon, going to have to watch her close lol!

I am growing Photoperiod plants bro after one night at 23 inches the plants were digging it they were reaching for it so IAM happy.

Got mine at 24 inches doing a photo's, my problem is they run so cool, I've lost about 5f and now im in low 70,s think I am going to get rid of the passive intakes

I elimimated my intake fan and just use passive intake and a six inch exhaust.

IMG_20181026_032111.jpg
IMG_20181026_032102.jpg
IMG_20181026_032051.jpg
IMG_20181026_032042.jpg
These babies three seedstockers and one Magic Strain called Magic Trick. The one has been whispy it's whole life. I cut back on the feed she is picking up as best she can.

Last edited:
That third one has some problems.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome
I said the third one has been whispy it's whole life but keeps growing I backed off I made it's own food less nitrogen she is getting greener. But it is the only one with problems out of 18 or so plants I have going.

Back