Lighting Quantum board thread.

Well the thread does say Quantum Board and that is HLG's branding. I understand helping out, I've no beef with that. What pisses me off is the sheer number of unscrupulous Chinese vendors stealing intellectual property of merchants in other countries, selling cheap imitations of quality products, even stealing their brand names. And that's Alibaba's claim to fame, thievery! For every seller on Alibaba you can trust, there are 10 you can't.
Slater, you do good work here and I respect you. But personally, I wouldn't send anyone to Alibaba for anything. its like sending a friend to a loanshark to get a loan.....LOL!

I get it @pop22 you have to be careful of what you buy on Alibaba... I'm just helping a brother out on some wiring and no one is pitching anything, certainly not me, I own HLG QB's. And this isn't just a HLG thread its just a thread, a normal thread to help each other out on build's that have parts that may well be or may not be QB's.:pass:

Perhaps change thread name to PCB/ Quantum Board?

To each his own? Anyone can believe what they want right? I personally feel that calling them QBs is like calling cob...cobs. I also believe they are the same with some minor voltage difference. Heck...Im actually 100% sure! Do I wanna argue with anyone who disagrees with me? Hell no...I wanna enjoy this forum and all its wonderful ppl and plants. Learn stuff...ask stuff...join in battles...rant..etc. So many fun stuff to do than to argue. Especially since none of us owns any interests in any of the mentioned companies? Or is Jack Ma from Alibaba secretly an auto grower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being Canadian everything is expensive. But I will check out HLG I might just go with them in the future.

No because many of these "QB" knockoffs are lying about the chips they use. they are Epistar made copies of Samsung chips. Much lower efficiency, which also means more heat, less reliable, thinner boards, etc. Find a board with real Samsung chips and I'll agree with you. HLG's boards, they'll get involved against the

I also get the impression people think HLG is some big company like Philips, etc. NO they are some guys from a forum that wanted to build a better light. they spent their own money for a lot of the work. They started buy selling 500 boards, then buying more, slowly building their business. They are just guys like you and I, not fat cats with deep pockets. They deserve our respect!

:smokeout:

I won't carry on more, but I felt this needed saying.

Perhaps change thread name to PCB/ Quantum Board?

To each his own? Anyone can believe what they want right? I personally feel that calling them QBs is like calling cob...cobs. I also believe they are the same with some minor voltage difference. Heck...Im actually 100% sure! Do I wanna argue with anyone who disagrees with me? Hell no...I wanna enjoy this forum and all its wonderful ppl and plants. Learn stuff...ask stuff...join in battles...rant..etc. So many fun stuff to do than to argue. Especially since none of us owns any interests in any of the mentioned companies? Or is Jack Ma from Alibaba secretly an auto grower?

Well the thread does say Quantum Board and that is HLG's branding. I understand helping out, I've no beef with that. What pisses me off is the sheer number of unscrupulous Chinese vendors stealing intellectual property of merchants in other countries, selling cheap imitations of quality products, even stealing their brand names. And that's Alibaba's claim to fame, thievery! For every seller on Alibaba you can trust, there are 10 you can't.
Slater, you do good work here and I respect you. But personally, I wouldn't send anyone to Alibaba for anything. its like sending a friend to a loanshark to get a loan.....LOL!

I did not start the thread so I can't do anything about the title and I'm not sending any one any where so please don't put words in my mouth... I'm just helping out on some wiring because I've been asked, I really don't give two shits what's been bought and where from... If i can help out I will.

Maybe we need to start a thread where we can then talk about this to give people a heads up on which Alibaba company to use. I my self would like to know who's bought from who and what results people are having. I'm clued up enough to know it not all the real deal.

One thing i will say for China and I will defend them on this is that they are a far removed culture form the Weston world and to assume they have the same principals we employ in our western society is just ignorance. Also the language barrier between english and Mandarin is huge so it make sense for them to adopt the Weston name for something that already exists. I'm not denying that some company's are playing a underhand game but it's common practice for china to do that so a Westerner will reconise the product... yes there are some blatant under hand copy's on the market but I bet it started out harmless to get you notice that they are making a similar product or somthing that look like it.

we call vacuum cleaners hovers, we call sticky back plastic sellotape, we call duct tape gaffa and we call gaffa tape duct tape... I think what has happen is the wonderfull world of langue has taken over, HLG has come up with something brand new, never seen by the world untill a couple year ago and they gave it its name and it fits perfectly to describe a product. China just ran with it and it becoming the normal term for a product that look like that.

Last edited:
So far if you read my latest post I have put them all away until I figure out why I fried So many leafs and hot spots. So IAM far from happy with what I have purchased IAM hoping dimming them will help.

what hang height did you have them at @F.N. ? could it just be auto's having a wobbly over the light. I would get drastic difference's under my cobs with auto's. Some getting with in inches and some shying and having issues at 18"

Plain and simple. These are PCB boards. No one from our generation invented them I think.

HLG first named them QBs and probably trademarked them. Then....what @Slater said...thanks buddy!

Instead of rolling along with it, they tried too hard to differentiate themselves from these copies. Made up bogus stories about their various relationship with Samsung that was just silly. They should have just run along the market Pioneer road and aim for leader status. They have a huge following and is always outta stock so not like they gonna close shop or anything? Their margin is super high.

The only problem i see here is trademark issues. If QBs are not allowed...then PCB/ QB board should help solve that.

So far if you read my latest post I have put them all away until I figure out why I fried So many leafs and hot spots. So IAM far from happy with what I have purchased IAM hoping dimming them will help.

I forgot if i asked u this but did u take into account overlapping lights/ hot spots? I noticed this and have to space boards at least 20cm apart to avoid it. But my boards are 800s though.

I forgot to say did you follow my link @pop22 , it was only to a thread on grass city describing how to wire that same kit with detailed instructions on wiring that dimmer, not where to buy one. Just thought you may have got the wrong end of the stick on that post.

Back