Lighting Quantum board thread.

good mornig @legalizeme

little bit of home work for you to go through today, tomorrow / rest of the week... Let me introduce you Growmau5, this the man that has stared the DIY revolution on youtube and he's the man to explain everything...YOU NEED TO WATCH ALL OF HIS VIDEO... if you haven't stared already

All lot may fly over the head but after you have you first build things strart to make sense.

Start with this one this will explain about driving at lower current

Now growmau5 is talking cobs, this is near 4years old now but everything can be implied to QB's, once you go through his vids you will soon come to his QB builds. Now don't be intimidated they don't have to be that pimp and you don't need all the fancy wiring he likes to do.

building control boxes are my specialty, i will get you some pics of mine later.

3500k sound like good move, a better all round spectrum for Auto's, they still need to veg for 3-4 weeks-ish.

Dimming only comes in handing for vegging (I dim my to 50% and slowly increase to 100% over the 1st week of stretch), checking the plants and when you get that one strain that just doesn't like the light.

What are control boxes? Do you mean you grow in a box with growing conditions controlled to your preference?

Does it need AC if during hottest summer? Heck...please do a tutorial! If its anywhere close to the DIY work on your lights, this box is gonna be awesome and I want to steal it! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can I purchase decent dimming boxes anyone have a idea. I have one that has dimming box but it feels cheap. I would like a quality dimming box.

you got build one you self @F.N. , the issue is the potentiometer it needs to be 100ohms and there just isn't a product on the market ready to go any where... I've looked and dug deep on every electronics web site

Cheap as chips to build with a little soldering. Looks like @legalizeme wants to build one to. I'm going to put together a diagram showing how I wired my control box with links to some of the parts. Give me a day or 2.

What are control boxes? Do you mean you grow in a box with growing conditions controlled to your preference?

Does it need AC if during hottest summer? Heck...please do a tutorial! If its anywhere close to the DIY work on your lights, this box is gonna be awesome and I want to steal it! LOL

instead of mounting the driver to the top of the light I remove mine to the out side of my spaces. One it removes heat and two, less weight on the light. I can then get my light tight to the top of my tents. The control box is just little bit of pimping, I install a dimmer, voltage meter and sometimes on/off switches. You can even build in you timer for lights.

Well now I feel stupid! LOL

But then again, its a pretty normal occurence for me...ROFL

nothing to feel stupid about @Equatorial we are all learning from each other... Electronics is my new subject, if it wasn't for growing I wouldn't have clue about it. It's not that hard really, the more I build the easier it becomes.

I might look real stoned all the time with one eye out of sink with the other but I'm fully switched on behind them ;)... well most days

HLG drivers with a three wire AC side are already grounded internally, and you don't ground the DC side.

Thanks dude

If only I could fill it with bud, like you guys. But hey that’s what I am here for right....
I am also growing autos but one day I may go to photos when I am more experienced.

I will take a wonder in to your garden, thanks for the invite.
I like how close you have your plants, and the lights look neat too.

I still have so much to learn and have over dosed the last couple of days with reading. Was in and out of sleep last night and guess what was going through my head..... no not that..... bloody lights....

I need to understand the difference between driving them lower than dimming, I thought it achieved the same thing, well actually I hadnt thought past dimming.

I have measured the height of my groom and it is 1.8m from floor to ceiling and has approx 1.5m space from top of the pot to the ceiling, so that’s what I am working with

I feel I should be investing in the QB, latest diodes from Samsung. Unsure on 3000k versus 3500k at this point, as from reading there is no perfect spectrum to get.

I was thinking 3500k with some extra red, I do plan on using the one light for seed to harvest.

I want to keep the height profile of the light low, so that it has a closer fit to the ceiling, so would prefer an external dimmer and driver mounted to the wall. This means I would require certain drivers as I don’t like the idea of having to screw the driver to dim, I may as well get a dimmer on a wall and be posh.....if that’s possible. (Edit it would seem that having the driver on the frame of the LED offers better grounding and something I don’t want to compromise is safety)

I am also open to the idea of mixing tech to gain the best rewards, similar to what you have done.
Thanks

instead of mounting the driver to the top of the light I remove mine to the out side of my spaces. One it removes heat and two, less weight on the light. I can then get my light tight to the top of my tents. The control box is just little bit of pimping, I install a dimmer, voltage meter and sometimes on/off switches. You can even build in you timer for lights.
That’s exactly what I would prefer to do.
Any chance you can hit me up with that link to the aluminium uk site for the frame?

HLG drivers with a three wire AC side are already grounded internally, and you don't ground the DC side.

Thanks for that, That’s good to know.
So we don’t have to do anything special when having the driver and dimmer positioned away from the light?

You can mount the driver and potentiometer outside the tent if you wish. I have three mounted on a piece of plywood and air from a fan in the room keeps them somewhat cool. I adjust my lights by plugging them in to a meter similar the the KillaWatt meter. The drivers do create some heat so unless you need a little extra heat in the tent, this will work for you.

So we don’t have to do anything special when having the driver and dimmer positioned away from the light?[/QUOTE]

Back