Lighting Quantum board thread.

4 QB 304 @85 watts each. 4x4x6.5 tent, 3 photo period plants........... that vegged too long!

QB tent pic2 -6-14-2017.jpg

Thanks dude

If only I could fill it with bud, like you guys. But hey that’s what I am here for right....
I am also growing autos but one day I may go to photos when I am more experienced.

I will take a wonder in to your garden, thanks for the invite.
I like how close you have your plants, and the lights look neat too.

I still have so much to learn and have over dosed the last couple of days with reading. Was in and out of sleep last night and guess what was going through my head..... no not that..... bloody lights....

I need to understand the difference between driving them lower than dimming, I thought it achieved the same thing, well actually I hadnt thought past dimming.

I have measured the height of my groom and it is 1.8m from floor to ceiling and has approx 1.5m space from top of the pot to the ceiling, so that’s what I am working with

I feel I should be investing in the QB, latest diodes from Samsung. Unsure on 3000k versus 3500k at this point, as from reading there is no perfect spectrum to get.

I was thinking 3500k with some extra red, I do plan on using the one light for seed to harvest.

I want to keep the height profile of the light low, so that it has a closer fit to the ceiling, so would prefer an external dimmer and driver mounted to the wall. This means I would require certain drivers as I don’t like the idea of having to screw the driver to dim, I may as well get a dimmer on a wall and be posh.....if that’s possible. (Edit it would seem that having the driver on the frame of the LED offers better grounding and something I don’t want to compromise is safety)

I am also open to the idea of mixing tech to gain the best rewards, similar to what you have done.
Thanks

Dude your space is awesome, kudos on your design and set up. Nice and tight... :slap:

your idea of 600w might be perfect, you could then fill that space wall to wall.

Something to think about which has not been mentioned, well @pop22 is touching on it is how hard you drive the broads. You have height restrictions like me so you need to give the plants some leeway in the stretch and let them get close to the lights. If your driving those board at full power 100w + with lets say 2100ma driver your gonna want at least 18" from the canopy, some would recommend 21".

What I suggest and this what I've done for 2 of my set ups, (my tents are only 145cm tall, come on over to the garden man and check out my spaces, I'm doing the same as you but in slight tighter corners) is to drive the QB's at a lower wattage 50w each at 1050ma (no dimming), you could probably just about get away with them at 75w each (1400ma) but some auto strains may shy away from that much light and need a wider gap between canopy and light (that's not all auto's some lap the light up like its going out of fashion). If you drive at 1050ma you can get those lady's with in inches from the light if they decide to get away from you and some of those auto will. On average in my tents the girls get to with in 5" at places and never a problem... I'm growing photo's at the moment

configuration's I would consider

4 x QB288 @1400ma in series... 1 x meanwell HLG-320H-1400

or 6 x QB288 @1050ma in series... 2 x meanwell HLG-240-1050 ... personal this is what I would go for to spread that light out, get into the corners and let those lady's get that littler closer... This also could be wired in parallel to save you money with one constant voltage drive, this not my field I've only wired in series so I can't recommend which driver to use. Don't worry others on this thread can.

Once you have decided on the tech I got great link for you with an Aluminum chop shop in the UK that you can make your frame from. Its the cheapest part of the build pimping your frame... Here a pic of my latest build... those 3 QB's are at about 50w @1050ma (HLG-185-1050ma) the cobs 8 x citizen 1212's @ 1050ma (HLG-320-1050ma). Over all the light is 450w, a little over powered for the space (117cm x 87cm x 145cm). I'm up grading my space very soon so I'm over rating every thing ready for my move.

Alien Rift by Ocean Grown
View attachment 945621

Last edited:
There is a full spectrum quantum board meijiu Light Alibaba. I have a question why did I get burn spots and fried leaves? I have taken all mine down for now until I figure them out better. I also had a brand new tent I might have had gas off from the tent I had my fair share of yellowing leaves. I had burnt spots brown big burnt spots. I will figure them out but a little help would be appreciated.

There is a full spectrum quantum board meijiu Light Alibaba. I have a question why did I get burn spots and fried leaves? I have taken all mine down for now until I figure them out better. I also had a brand new tent I might have had gas off from the tent I had my fair share of yellowing leaves. I had burnt spots brown big burnt spots. I will figure them out but a little help would be appreciated.

Did u get them on all plants? Height? Power? Positioning of boards? How far each boards are spaced?

Simply put, these are powerful lights. When spaced not far enough, they create hotspots easily in the center that fry leaves. If all plants gets it, then simply move them higher up or dim them.

I have one plant out of five who is fussing over the lights. Just gonna make her walk it off... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not giving up IAM going with dimmimg on all my Quantum boards. I measured there height and had them at 20 to 25 inches
I also used all 3000 k spectrum. I like them I just having teathing issues

Where can I purchase decent dimming boxes anyone have a idea. I have one that has dimming box but it feels cheap. I would like a quality dimming box.

Where can I purchase decent dimming boxes anyone have a idea. I have one that has dimming box but it feels cheap. I would like a quality dimming box.

The Meijiu dimmers are the only ones I have. Got two of them. Looks cheap but I'm pretty happy with them. They work just fine imo. I put them in a semi outdoor space and still works fine under extreme conditions.

One thing about the remote control. They are not dimmer specific. Use one and you think you are only dimming one board but it will dim BOTH (cos i use two boards separately). So u gotta use the manual dial if you want to dim both boards differently.

I did not know u did not dim them. Perhaps you can play with height a little first, while waiting for the dimmer to arrive? I remember dimming to 33% at 18 inches during early veg and still got upward claws. So these lights are really powerful. However, from mid flower onwards, my plants are able to take much more light, at much closer distance. I'd say they are about 15-16 inches from canopy at Week 7. Three plants under an 800 board running at 300W. Max is 350W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my enviorment might have played a role we are cleaning up putting up my new tent it will be a while before both a chugging a full speed I need inline fand exhuast and ventilation and filter some oscillating fans. Mega crop being so affordable it won't be long. Thanks for the help bro.

Thanks dude

If only I could fill it with bud, like you guys. But hey that’s what I am here for right....
I am also growing autos but one day I may go to photos when I am more experienced.

I still have so much to learn and have over dosed the last couple of days with reading. Was in and out of sleep last night and guess what was going through my head..... no not that..... bloody lights....

I need to understand the difference between driving them lower than dimming, I thought it achieved the same thing, well actually I hadnt thought past dimming.

I have measured the height of my groom and it is 1.8m from floor to ceiling and has approx 1.5m space from top of the pot to the ceiling, so that’s what I am working with

I feel I should be investing in the QB, latest diodes from Samsung. Unsure on 3000k versus 3500k at this point, as from reading there is no perfect spectrum to get.

I was thinking 3500k with some extra red, I do plan on using the one light for seed to harvest.

I want to keep the height profile of the light low, so that it has a closer fit to the ceiling, so would prefer an external dimmer and driver mounted to the wall. This means I would require certain drivers as I don’t like the idea of having to screw the driver to dim, I may as well get a dimmer on a wall and be posh.....if that’s possible. (Edit it would seem that having the driver on the frame of the LED offers better grounding and something I don’t want to compromise is safety)

I am also open to the idea of mixing tech to gain the best rewards, similar to what you have done.
Thanks

Thanks dude

Thanks

good mornig @legalizeme

little bit of home work for you to go through today, tomorrow / rest of the week... Let me introduce you Growmau5, this the man that has stared the DIY revolution on youtube and he's the man to explain everything...YOU NEED TO WATCH ALL OF HIS VIDEO... if you haven't stared already

All lot may fly over the head but after you have you first build things strart to make sense.

Start with this one this will explain about driving at lower current

Now growmau5 is talking cobs, this is near 4years old now but everything can be implied to QB's, once you go through his vids you will soon come to his QB builds. Now don't be intimidated they don't have to be that pimp and you don't need all the fancy wiring he likes to do.

building control boxes are my specialty, i will get you some pics of mine later.

3500k sound like good move, a better all round spectrum for Auto's, they still need to veg for 3-4 weeks-ish.

Dimming only comes in handing for vegging (I dim my to 50% and slowly increase to 100% over the 1st week of stretch), checking the plants and when you get that one strain that just doesn't like the light.

Back