Hey @PinkyNotTheBrain since it is your specialty I figured i woukd ask u but if i need to change the gasket underneath my toilet couple questions about the job….

A) Do i need to order a gasket matched to my toilet to be right size or will it be a universal kind where it will fit this and several other similar toilets?

B) Do i just turn water off and flush toilet til bowl is empty and then undo the couple bolts at back and it will lift up to swap gasket out?

View attachment 1708095

We don’t have bugs in the house but last week or so if i come in bathroom in middle of the night when its dark as soon as i turn light on will see a small bug of some kind bolt back under toilet so wanna change gasket asap to block off the gd entry path they are using!

:thanks::d5:
Ya a wax ring and bolts. Turn the water off and flush. You can shopvac out the last bit of water so you don't make a mess. You undo the supply and the bolts, pull the toilet, scrape/scrub the floor under where the toilet sat, reset the ring, then reset the toilet.:thumbsup::d5:

Hey @PinkyNotTheBrain since it is your specialty I figured i woukd ask u but if i need to change the gasket underneath my toilet couple questions about the job….

A) Do i need to order a gasket matched to my toilet to be right size or will it be a universal kind where it will fit this and several other similar toilets?

B) Do i just turn water off and flush toilet til bowl is empty and then undo the couple bolts at back and it will lift up to swap gasket out?

View attachment 1708095

We don’t have bugs in the house but last week or so if i come in bathroom in middle of the night when its dark as soon as i turn light on will see a small bug of some kind bolt back under toilet so wanna change gasket asap to block off the gd entry path they are using!

:thanks::d5:
There's no gasket around the outer edge of the toilet base. The only seal is the 4" diameter ring that seals the pipe (as others mentioned). If it's not leaking you don't need to replace that. Just run a bread of caulk around the base so the critters can't get under there.

1000000702.jpg

Franks gonna be so jello when he sees my supplemental light.

There's no gasket around the outer edge of the toilet base. The only seal is the 4" diameter ring that seals the pipe (as others mentioned). If it's not leaking you don't need to replace that. Just run a bread of caulk around the base so the critters can't get under there.

I'll second what Mara and Pinky said. If there is no leak and no smell, there is no reason to change out the wax ring. Clean really good around the base and get some bug spray.

If you have a "wobbler" use plastic shims and cut them off. Don't rely on something that isn't solid. Caulk will flex and squish over time and the seal will give eventually. If there is an unsightly gap you wanna fill, use Sashco Clean Seal. It has mold inhibitor. If you do caulk around the bottom, only do the visible areas. If you caulk all the way around, you won't be able to tell if there is a leak. That can cause major issues!!!!!!!!!!! Personally don't like using it all. If the is a slight tilt forward, water will run that way and if a slower leak can exit around the flange for who knows how long causing damage.

Unfortunately, it is now code to caulk around toilets. Inspectors would bring it up occasionally, but all agreed it was a bad idea and didn't really enforce it. Or would make ya caulk around the front and leave the back open

Back