Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm healthcare proxy for an elderly refugee from the Liberian civil war, with Alzheimers, who does that constantly. She watches the news all day and updates me on why I shouldn't go outside because of the war in Ohio, or because they're shooting people out there. Yesterday she wanted a ride to Syracuse (3 hour drive) because she heard on TV that her daughter is there. "Tha' my area," she said, "I mus' go to my people." The daughter died 10 years ago in Africa, never came to the States at all.
Alzheimer's is a cruel condition. A dear friend of mine is about two thirds or so down that road. Watching his decline has been one of the saddest things I have experienced in my life. :bighug:

Alzheimer's is a cruel condition. A dear friend of mine is about two thirds or so down that road. Watching his decline has been one of the saddest things I have experienced in my life. :bighug:
Yes, mom had Alzheimers too (RIP). We didn't know 'til it was far advanced. She went to pick up my son from school, went in the office and said she was here to pick somebody up, but didn't remember who (only 1 grandchild at that time). She was very sad when we took away her car keys. I read a book of Alzheimers case histories. Some people become aggressive, but mom was very passive. She could still play piano after she forgot how to talk, until her music slipped away too, and she had to be fed with a spoon. The case history I remember is the old guy that was still living at home with his wife. Every time he walked by a mirror he got raving mad. He thought his image in the mirror was a strange man in the house with his wife.

Yup......and hard on the Carers....:karmacloud:...Bless them all...

Yes, mom had Alzheimers too (RIP). We didn't know 'til it was far advanced. She went to pick up my son from school, went in the office and said she was here to pick somebody up, but didn't remember who (only 1 grandchild at that time). She was very sad when we took away her car keys. I read a book of Alzheimers case histories. Some people become aggressive, but mom was very passive. She could still play piano after she forgot how to talk, until her music slipped away too, and she had to be fed with a spoon. The case history I remember is the old guy that was still living at home with his wife. Every time he walked by a mirror he got raving mad. He thought his image in the mirror was a strange man in the house with his wife.

Yes...unfortunately some of them get very aggressive with the confusion.

One of our friends looked after her mother with it for 12 years....the last 8 years she became aggessive....and friend say she lost count of the times she had black eyes and bite marks....or got a decent nights sleep.

Heartbreaking...she said it would have been Easier to look after her if it had been someone elses mother...coz she knew her mother would be horrified by what she was doing to her.

But..it is the disease isn't it......?.....:shrug: ..not her mother.

Thanks for the rep @Mossy. I wasn't a very good dad either. I was away on smuggling missions, insane adventures, or locked up a lot of the time, so my kids were raised "by the village." I didn't meet my daughter 'til she was 3, then didn't see her 'til I got custody at 17. I'm told that whenever she saw an airplane in the sky she would say, "there goes my dad." Me eldest didn't remember his mom, but called his grandma and 2 neighbor ladies "mamá." I was in jail when I got custody of him, so my mom had him from age 10 to 13. Nonetheless, all my kids turned out to be better people than I will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back