Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for anyone: just about to fill up and acclimatise EcoLife Soil in my fabric Autopots (trade name =Flexipots) in the grow tent while my seeds germinate.

Plan to put clay pebbles in the bottom of the pots. .
Did you wash the clay pebbles before you use them? I know they say to wash them for hydroponics, but not sure if that matters for soil. Doesn’t say anything on the packaging…
What do you think? Cheers

i would first ask why are you putting a layer of clay balls at bottom of pot :pop: their is a good reason why it isn't a good idea and it will take Mog to explain why it aint a good idea ,,,but saying all that ,,they your pots and balls :thumbsup:

"Hey! What are doing out here? Is it time to eat yet?"
IMG_20210923_181839944.jpg

"Lemme get a closer look!"
IMG_20210923_181920504.jpg

"Did you drop some food?"
IMG_20210923_181953067_HDR.jpg

"Can you grow us some Catnip? I'll be your friend!"
IMG_20210923_182020194_HDR.jpg

"Whut's this thing? It really smells! "
IMG_20210923_182037799_HDR.jpg

i would first ask why are you putting a layer of clay balls at bottom of pot :pop: their is a good reason why it isn't a good idea and it will take Mog to explain why it aint a good idea ,,,but saying all that ,,they your pots and balls :thumbsup:
I just don't see how that helps. Other than planting in a lite nute media for a seedling, I don't see any benefit to layering of any kind in the set up of a pot.

… this is why:

have a look at the instructions thet come with the Autopot system…

Attachments

• 4DD4D334-5B74-473A-8DC3-F9B5C353BA74.jpeg
    4DD4D334-5B74-473A-8DC3-F9B5C353BA74.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • A132E1AF-F0CD-4763-B061-B6608C012DD5.jpeg
    A132E1AF-F0CD-4763-B061-B6608C012DD5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
Morning kittens.....been a busy, stressful week but getting a lil better every day. Wife doing a bit more with less pain every day, another Dr.'s appointment Monday and we'll see where we go from there...Got 2 up out of their cubes and just waiting on a showing of roots from the bottom, ordered some Durban poison and red congolese from Pacific seed bank so we'll see how that goes ( kinda hit n miss in the reveiws i've read)

Afternoon @Bill.de.Cat ...glad to hear your wife is feeling better...sound like she is on the road to recovery... :pass: ..

Morning folks.
How’s everyone today?

Afternoon @Dichoti ..:pass:...I feel as Rough as a Badgers arse......:coffee2:..I Hope everyone is feeling better than that......:headbang:

quick :pass:,,,,,taking old tent down,,setting new one up,,making a man tent ,,,busy busy busy:thumbsup:

Don't let us stop the graft........:pighug:

[pl
Quick question for anyone: just about to fill up and acclimatise EcoLife Soil in my fabric Autopots (trade name =Flexipots) in the grow tent while my seeds germinate.

Did you wash the clay pebbles before you use them? I know they say to wash them for hydroponics, but not sure if that matters for soil. Doesn’t say anything on the packaging…

Hmm....I Think you would be okay not rinsing if they are going in the bottom of the pot.... :watering:...

… this is why:

have a look at the instructions thet come with the Autopot system…

Hiya! ^_^ I like my autopots ... saves me a LOAD of time!

The only thing i put at the bottom of my autopot is the weird copperish cloth they give you - think it stops the soil falling into the tray!
I'm pretty sure nothing else is necessary in order for the soil to wick it up :thumbsup:

I dont think i know anyone else that uses anything (some people like the oxygen dome .. but i don't see that much benefit to using it for it to make it into my pots)

I don't have any particulalry scientific details i can pass on though :rofl:

:d5:

"Hey! What are doing out here? Is it time to eat yet?"View attachment 1371150

"Lemme get a closer look!"
View attachment 1371151

"Did you drop some food?"View attachment 1371152
"Can you grow us some Catnip? I'll be your friend!"
View attachment 1371153

"Whut's this thing? It really smells! "
View attachment 1371154
Hiya! ^_^ I like my autopots ... saves me a LOAD of time!

The only thing i put at the bottom of my autopot is the weird copperish cloth they give you - think it stops the soil falling into the tray!
I'm pretty sure nothing else is necessary in order for the soil to wick it up :thumbsup:

I dont think i know anyone else that uses anything (some people like the oxygen dome .. but i don't see that much benefit to using it for it to make it into my pots)

I don't have any particulalry scientific details i can pass on though :rofl:

:d5:

Thanks darling, I’ve only got the instructions to go by and it’s my first grow so just trying to get things right.

Have you used the fabric pot? It’s the Flexi part that I’m working with, so it looks like the fabric pots everyone else is using, and they’ve got a base made of the copper fabric I think you’re describing.

i’m looking forward to using them

Thanks darling, I’ve only got the instructions to go by and it’s my first grow so just trying to get things right.

Have you used the fabric pot? It’s the Flexi part that I’m working with, so it looks like the fabric pots everyone else is using, and they’ve got a base made of the copper fabric I think you’re describing.

i’m looking forward to using them

Fair play! You'll love the ease of them!! - Dont forget you'll need to hand water for the first 20 days or so .. the roots won't be able to wick until they get down there!

Yes - I'm pretty sure that copper bottom your describing is what the plastic autopots come with. I never know which way up to put mine, but it's not made any difference - your's are attached so that's one less thing to worry about :rofl:

The ONLY benefit i can see to having clay pebbles (if it is a benefit) is to stop the bottom couple of cm's sat in water for long periods of time (as the bottom will always have water available while the resevoir is attached and filled up)

Personally, from experience (about 5-6 years or so) of using autopots, i'd probably say save yourself the extra effort and dont worry about the pebbles. But also @pop22 is like our autopot guru (used them for agesss and made his own systems) and @St. Tom who is one of the most successful competition winners who uses autopots too!

They may have a different opinion!

Good luck with the first grow - tag me in when you start and i'll follow along!!

:vibe::vibe:
:pass:

If you are going to add any clay pebbles / gravel / etc, I'd still rinse them before adding them. The point of rinsing is to remove any dust from shipping / handling that could get into the water, boost silica levels, and worsen any initial bacterial bloom. It's mainly a concern for recirculating hydro, but I could see it also being a concern for the water in the autopot tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back