Status
Not open for further replies.
7# pickling Cucumbers
4 bright orange carrots cut in quarters lengthwise
7 large garlic cloves
7 large grape leaves
1 cup Pickling Salt
1/4 tsp. Pickle Crisp per jar
1- 12oz bottle of Orchids Rice vinegar - no longer available here subbing another brand Marukin Organic Rice Vinegar. It won't be the same!
6 cups of Heinz white vinegar
12 cups water
Generous sprigs of fresh Baby Dill for each jar.

Wash the produce, clean and prep 7 quart jars. Bring the salt, vinegar and water to a boil. pack the jars with the produce equally. Fill with the boiling hot mixture to 1/4 inch from the top and seal with new lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath at 180°F for 15 minute. Remove to a quiet spot out of the breeze to cool and seal. Ready to eat in 6 months.
Bills cheap azz dill pickles....no risk no reward.
Finish big jar, buy cucumbers, fork the hell out of them, put in the jar, put in refrigerator, if they go black don't try em.

Bills cheap azz dill pickles....no risk no reward.
Finish big jar, buy cucumbers, fork the hell out of them, put in the jar, put in refrigerator, if they go black don't try em.
Can you say botulism? If the acidity gets low you can kill yourself doing something like that. It is the combination of salt, vinegar (acid) and heat that kills the spores.

Grrrrrrrrr. The farmer had Gutas - Armenian cucumbers for me when I got there. You can pickle them but they are a world away from what I want to make! So the pickling cucumbers were all too big to pickle whole. You need to use the brine method with big cucumbers and not the Fresh Pac! So I have to make Dill Spears. Not the same but I have all ingredients on hand so Pfht........

The produce is clean and the jars are in the dishwasher.

Pickles are done over in the food thread.

Not as hot today as yesterday. Summer is early.

2021-06-02_19-13-34.png

I am already hopping for an early Fall :crying: Silly Goose.

I swear @Mañ'O'Green , you must be the best neighbor to have. Everytime I read a post you're doing a new thing I like. From growing, to brewing, to pickling stuff... Are we related a bit in the distance?

If you like fermented fish foods too... oh brother.

What's your stance on pickled herring? Lutefisk?

For me, nothing better than matjes herring aka "soused herring" ( I prefer the raw variety but I'm an old guy with old tastes! hah!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back