Outdoor High Altitude/Desert Outdoor Organic Grow – Five Indica, One Sativa

Day 75

So the girls got subjected to some serious forest fire smoke for a few days this week, however, it really did not seem to affect them in a negative way. The first round of plants is getting very close to harvest. I am on the fence about just taking off just the top buds or harvesting the whole plant at once. Any comments on this matter are very welcome.
BLB1_7.22.17 (3).JPG BLB1_7.22.17 (2).JPG NLBB1_7.22.17.JPG NLBB1_7.22.17 (5).JPG BKB2_7.22.17 (2).JPG NLBB1_7.22.17 (3).JPG

Looking goooood! The first and the fourth pics seem to be pretty ready...sometimes it's not clear just seeing the shots, you're closer to them live...the third looks like a well grown bush and i like the purple on the fifth and take some slap to for this work...
:slap:

Didn't read back and don't remember how you feeded the plants, but dou have to flush...these are big pots!

Looking goooood! The first and the fourth pics seem to be pretty ready...sometimes it's not clear just seeing the shots, you're closer to them live...the third looks like a well grown bush and i like the purple on the fifth and take some slap to for this work...
:slap:

Didn't read back and don't remember how you feeded the plants, but dou have to flush...these are big pots!

Thanks so much!

I am not feeding these plants extra nutrition - no extra anything, just potting soil & plain water.

The Northern Light x Big Bud is like a little bud bush and is starting to turn purple.

I am so amazed at how fast these plants grow!

I have my "trim bin" on order, as soon as it gets here - the purple & pink Blackberry Kush is gonna be the first to go.

Day 80

To answer my original questions...
Can cannabis be grown outdoors in a high desert environment?
Will the plants tolerate 40-degree daily temperature swings and extreme heat and cold?
Yes, and with pretty good results. Much better than I anticipated. Strain choice really does make a big difference, the genetics of these plants are everything. I am really glad that I went with a variety of strains, in varied conditions because each one grew differently. It really has been an amazing learning process.
One thing I am trying is cutting only the branches that have fully mature buds and leaving the lower branches to grow more. With the top canopy gone, the lower buds are getting really frosty now.
The picture is of the top cola off the Blueberry plant. I am pretty happy with this. And like Mr. High Desert said, "You can't buy that at the dispensary."
BLB1_7.27.17.JPG

LOL...I like Mr. High Desert's comments, tell him and he is absolutely right! But first take some BIG:slap: for this work.

At the beginning of your desert adventure reading the conditions you're growing i KNEW the auto genes would handle it, especially from the " Masters at Work" from Holland!

Don't know if regular photo strains could handle you area, but also for this they created the " High Altitute" strains...

You're doing right harvesting first the top colas and giving the lower branches more time to get ready, keep on rocking, My fair lady!:headbang::worship:

LOL...I like Mr. High Desert's comments, tell him and he is absolutely right! But first take some BIG:slap: for this work.

At the beginning of your desert adventure reading the conditions you're growing i KNEW the auto genes would handle it, especially from the " Masters at Work" from Holland!

Don't know if regular photo strains could handle you area, but also for this they created the " High Altitute" strains...

You're doing right harvesting first the top colas and giving the lower branches more time to get ready, keep on rocking, My fair lady!:headbang::worship:

Thanks for the support! I am having so much fun growing these plants. I rolled up to the house and could smell them in the driveway and was so grateful that I did not have to worry about what the neighbors think!

I got four DP photo Blueberry seeds for free with my order. I am tempted to try a couple next summer.

Blackberry Kush [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]

May 9: Seed Planted (Day 1)
- Soar Potting Soil & Coco Coir Mix, 3-inch Jiffy Peat Pots. Pot on heating pad & covered with plastic wrap.

May 11: Germination (Day 3)
- Taken out from under plastic wrap and put on a heating pad.
- Ambient temps 65-70/18-21 F/C
- Humidity 10%

May 27: Planted Outside (Day 19)
- Soar Potting Soil & Coco Coir Mix
- 16 inch / 40 cm pot

View attachment 778525
This strain, like every other strain, start showing signs of nutrient deficiency starting around day 15. I did not take the seedling out of the pot but instead, cut the sides of the pot to help the roots break free sooner. New growth started immediately, and the plant showed no signs of transplant shock.

June 10: (Day 33) The last picture was taken and then it was eaten.

View attachment 778526

Haha damn that sucks, I feel you tho. My dogs have took out 5 plants this year!! 2 autos and 3 photos... good luck girl.

I can smell them:biggrin: and plz make sure to tag me in next summer, i would join it!

Day 80

To answer my original questions...
Can cannabis be grown outdoors in a high desert environment?
Will the plants tolerate 40-degree daily temperature swings and extreme heat and cold?
Yes, and with pretty good results. Much better than I anticipated. Strain choice really does make a big difference, the genetics of these plants are everything. I am really glad that I went with a variety of strains, in varied conditions because each one grew differently. It really has been an amazing learning process.
One thing I am trying is cutting only the branches that have fully mature buds and leaving the lower branches to grow more. With the top canopy gone, the lower buds are getting really frosty now.
The picture is of the top cola off the Blueberry plant. I am pretty happy with this. And like Mr. High Desert said, "You can't buy that at the dispensary."View attachment 785938

Honestly bud...i am VERY happy for you!! Great work...bud looks stellar and great to hear you are succeeding in the desert heat....in the back of my mind i knew it could be done. I wish i had more free time to scour all of these journals!.

As for selective harvest, absolutely go for it. I selective harvest my photo plants when i can...and each plant give an additional 1/4 to 3/4 lb of good bud that would be scrapped(scrapped to the hash/tincture bin) with a standard full plant harvest.

Back