Outdoor High Altitude/Desert Outdoor Organic Grow – Five Indica, One Sativa

Woohoo!! Hey great to see you bud!! And another year gearing up for some desert monsters!! Awesome!! Sounds like you have a great plan!! Go get 'em bud!!

Thank you so much for all your past advice, all the new advice and all the work you do on the site.

I saw your write up on the Dutch Passion website - way cool!!! Your influence made me a Dutch Passion follower.

For sure about the desert monsters! I was so happy to see my Desert Night Queen up there in second to an amazing indoor grown plant! That plant went through a freeze right after transplant and came back strong. Going to do at least three of those plants again.

Gasp!! Be ready for HUGE plants if you decide to grow them out(well depending on veg time....how many hours of daylight do you get on the 21st of june?)

Almost 15 hours. I need a better indoor setup. I have to convert a closet and start her inside in March. I cant plant outside until the end of May - first of June and plants have to be harvested by the end of September.

Check out the angles of the main stalks in the maximizing auto guide. I am using more of a technique to reduce shading and increase exposure to the main tip, as well as the side branches.

I will, thank you!

I will, thank you!

Okay....so I have grown the DP BB 5 times now and outdoor finiish times are very consistent, always finishing between Oct 5th and 15th. We get 15.5 hours of daylight on the longest day. Shave a couple of weeks off due to an early flower trigger and you should be chopping somewhere around mid sept-late sept

Okay....so I have grown the DP BB 5 times now and outdoor finiish times are very consistent, always finishing between Oct 5th and 15th. We get 15.5 hours of daylight on the longest day. Shave a couple of weeks off due to an early flower trigger and you should be chopping somewhere around mid sept-late sept

Very tempting...

Thanks god you're doing it again this year and it sounds you have a great plan this year, you choosed strains already?

Have that feeling, that this season will be great canna outdoor festival.

@Maria Sanchez have you been in this one last year?

Think I may have crossed it, but will look back on it now.... :D

It has been a wonderful fall and winter sharing blunts with people and teaching them about autoflowers in the states. The number one comment I got about every strain I grew was how "smooth" it smoked, not harsh. That was so awesome to hear!

The second comment I got was, "I thought you could not grow weed outside in Nevada." Oh, how wrong they were!

Fantastico, amigo! You have a challenging environment there.
:slap:

Very different from mine, though. Almost opposite -- so much sun, but so dry and hot.
I also get heat in summer, but very, very wet, and tropical storms.

As my first autoflower grow, my first cannabis outdoor grow, I was quite happy with eight plants producing a pound of manicured buds dried. I got 4 grams of dry sift and pulled 17.2 grams of bubble hash from the trim and one mutant blueberry plant. That was my first time making bubble hash, another learning process. I still have a jar of Daquri Lime trim...butter?

Impressive yields, you must be high about this. hahahahahhhahaa!

A few things I plan to different this year.

1. Start my plants in much bigger pots.
- I used 4-inch Jiffy peat pots with seed starting mix by a local compost company. The soil had enough nutrients up to day 8 - 9 and then the plants first set of leaves started turning yellow, indicating a nutrient deficiency. I had to supplement the seedlings with an organic fish emulsion fertilizer until they were put into the ground or pot.

I start mine in 5" pots, which are about 1 L = about 0.25 gal.
I just keep them there for about 3 weeks, at which time the roots fill the space,
just start to show out the bottom, but are not root bound.
Haven't had any deficiencies at this point.
But this may depend on your soil mix.
I also have some chem nutes I could add (but haven't needed to add).

2. Not use large free-standing containers for planting.
- The pots I used were BIG and completely full of roots when they were emptied in the fall. The potting soil also dried out much faster than the soil in the garden, so I had to water the pots by hand on the really hot days.

From your yields, seems that the raised bed plants did much more than the pots.
I have done pots, fabric pots to increase drainage from very high rainfall.
But also did some straight in the soil. I was afraid of water saturation.
But in my present location, straight in the soil seems okay.

I used to be an obsessive indoor grower, but now my outdoor grows more lazy.
Just add some basic amendments to the soil a few weeks before hand,
and then drop the 3 week seedlings into the soil straight.
Just leave them be.....

In the soil, I've found that the water levels are far, far more stable, and less likely to dry out.

A big thanks to @912GreenSkell for all the work and love he puts into autoflowers. It is time to go order seeds.

He da man, Don Skelly!

Fantastico, amigo! You have a challenging environment there.
:slap:

Thank you, it is a gamble every time you plant in the desert. All the strains were pretty ok with the 40-45 degree temp changes throughout the day except the Blackberry Kush, that strain did not like the desert environment.

Very different from mine, though. Almost opposite -- so much sun, but so dry and hot.
I also get heat in summer, but very, very wet, and tropical storms.

I kept reading about everybody else mold problems and was grateful that was the last of my concerns. I was actually spraying water on the plants in the hottest part of the day.

Impressive yields, you must be high about this. hahahahahhhahaa!

Happy on my high horse! I was blown away after harvest and did the math. Let just say, this summer grow saved me $6400 USD in buds alone. Not to mention the time & gas it takes to drive into town to go to the dispensary.

I start mine in 5" pots, which are about 1 L = about 0.25 gal.
I just keep them there for about 3 weeks, at which time the roots fill the space,
just start to show out the bottom, but are not root bound.
Haven't had any deficiencies at this point.
But this may depend on your soil mix.
I also have some chem nutes I could add (but haven't needed to add).

A 1 lt. pot sounds perfect. I mixed coco coir in with the potting soil last time. I am going to try just 100% soil this time. I am with you on putting them in at three weeks, that seems to be the magic time for everybody.

From your yields, seems that the raised bed plants did much more than the pots.
I have done pots, fabric pots to increase drainage from very high rainfall.
But also did some straight in the soil. I was afraid of water saturation.
But in my present location, straight in the soil seems okay.

The soil in my raised beds is rich is worms, lots and lots of worms. In addition to being amended over the last eight years with veggie scrap compost and microbes. The buds grown in the dirt were far more superior to the bud grown in the pots.

I was conservative with plant placement last year, I think I have room to get a few more in the dirt and save the containers for tomatoes & basil.
I used to be an obsessive indoor grower, but now my outdoor grows more lazy.
Just add some basic amendments to the soil a few weeks before hand,
and then drop the 3 week seedlings into the soil straight.
Just leave them be.....
In the soil, I've found that the water levels are far, far more stable, and less likely to dry out.

I don't have the room for an indoor grow, and that is probably a good thing. I am with you, put the plants in the ground and let them do their thing.
I did notice something interesting last year. I use a dripper attachment called a "bubbler". It lets you adjust the area of coverage that gets watered. As the plants grow, I increase the watered area to encourage root expansion because the first few meters soil completely dries out. What was cool to see, was how the plant naturally sent buds over the area of wet soil, thus absorbing the evaporating water from the ground. So instead of growing taller, they bushed out, following the drippers. Even the D. Lime I grew did this with it lower branches.

He da man, Don Skelly!
He is!

Back