Indoor First Grow - starting late

If you have an android phone download the app lux meter.It works real good.I use it to find my plants happy places.when i get the light right i will measure what they love and use the app religiously.48,000 seems to work.
I would not go by a specific distance because every environment is different.A fan blowing accross the tops will work wonders on removing that stagnant heat that bakes leaves.Some plants and strains can take more light than others.depends on how healthy the plants are also.I would start at 18 inches and get a fan over them.Trust me the fan will make a huge difference on how healthy your plants look.if all is good after a day lower the light but remember they can only absorb a ceartian amount and the lower you go your light footprint shrinks.they need a minimum of 12,000 LUX i think to grow and anything over 80,000 seems to bake em.You will find yourself lowering and raising constantly.I just open the app and aim for 50,000 at the tops of the plant.The whole light distance thing is gonna vary with air flow,air cooled ballast temp and so on and so on.
I really think 12 inches without a fan you are cooking them plants.under a brand new 600w HPS 12 inches i get 78,000 LUX and with a 1000 i get 110,000 which is overkill.Get the app and thank me later.Once you get the LUX distance dialed in between 40 and 50k write it down and see how well your plants respond to it.lay the phone on the top of the pot and move the light up and down and see what your getting at the bottom of the canopy.If you have to cook your tops to hit 15k on the bottom i would cut them shady crap popcorn nugs off in a heartbeat.Who the hell wants to trim that crap up anyway

Last edited:
If you have an android phone download the app lux meter.It works real good.I use it to find my plants happy places.when i get the light right i will measure what they love and use the app religiously.48,000 seems to work.
I would not go by a specific distance because every environment is different.A fan blowing accross the tops will work wonders on removing that stagnant heat that bakes leaves.Some plants and strains can take more light than others.depends on how healthy the plants are also.I would start at 18 inches and get a fan over them.Trust me the fan will make a huge difference on how healthy your plants look.if all is good after a day lower the light but remember they can only absorb a ceartian amount and the lower you go your light footprint shrinks.they need a minimum of 12,000 LUX i think to grow and anything over 80,000 seems to bake em.You will find yourself lowering and raising constantly.I just open the app and aim for 50,000 at the tops of the plant.The whole light distance thing is gonna vary with air flow,air cooled ballast temp and so on and so on.
I really think 12 inches without a fan you are cooking them plants.under a brand new 600w HPS 12 inches i get 78,000 LUX and with a 1000 i get 110,000 which is overkill.Get the app and thank me later.Once you get the LUX distance dialed in between 40 and 50k write it down and see how well your plants respond to it.lay the phone on the top of the pot and move the light up and down and see what your getting at the bottom of the canopy.If you have to cook your tops to hit 15k on the bottom i would cut them shady crap popcorn nugs off in a heartbeat.Who the hell wants to trim that crap up anyway
I moved the light to about 20 inches away. Do you know if that app is on iPhone?

---- and the RH as well,... Frank, there's some edge curling going on, an indication of light/heat/RH stress... how far away is the HPS to plant tops? Ambient temp is one thing, but proximity to the light is another, where intensity and heat spiking is localized,...
saw the leaf spots, that's looking Ca defc. , but I'll need a closer pic to be sure,...

Moving the lamp is a start...one step at a time...:clapper:
There may be still a heat or RH issue. Is there at least one thermometer/RH meter in the Grow area? What are the MIN/MAX of the Grow area?
http://www.growweedeasy.com/temperature

saw the leaf spots, that's looking Ca defc.
Might want to get a grip on this early. @Waira has a good eye for these things.

Some canna girls become Cal sucking whores early. It can be a major issue as the girls mature. Another dose of Epsom Salt or a good Cal/Mg amendment might be in order.

Autoflower cannabis due to the fact that they are bred to flower are Rocket Ship growers.
They can use up necessary Cal and Mg at an amazing rate. It's a normal thing for them.
I have always said...If you can learn to grow autoflower cannabis...you can grow anything.

Giving your Cal whores Epsom Salt will do no harm...it's a good way to slow down any Mg issue and Cal/Mg deficiencies go together.

Last edited:
Moving the lamp is a start...one step at a time...:clapper:
There may be still a heat or RH issue. Is there at least one thermometer/RH meter in the Grow area? What are the MIN/MAX of the Grow area?
http://www.growweedeasy.com/temperature
There is. Highs for temps are 75 and low 60. High for RH is 35 and low 20. I have advanced nutrients cal/mag that I can throw in tomorrow as I checked them tonight before I left and they are ready to eat. I also turned the exhaust fan up a bit to pull more air out.

High for RH is 35 and low 20
Can you get a small humidifier in the Grow area or somehow up the RH?
By moving the lamp up and the temps are okay (can safely go to 82F), by getting a better RH 40% or a bit higher...you be golden.

We try to mimic the growing seasons indoors. The RH in "June-August" is not dry like our Winter conditions of very low RH now. Added humidity can be beneficial to your girls. Getting two out of three conditions under control is a good start.

You are learning to tweak your grow. The next one will be different, but the growing environment should be a constant with each growing phase. It just takes practice.

Last edited:
I have a small one that I had in there and it didn't do anything I'm assuming it's because it was so small. I can probably get a better one in there I just worry about that mist getting on the flowers and then mold.

Back