Indoor First grow 23w cfl's, Ak47 and White widow

I bought a TDS meter last week and realised I was feeding my babies 3 x more nutes than I should. My trouble is a high EC of tap water, so it leaves little room for adding nutes that might help growth. I've read of people flushing plants too, just before full flower stage, but then I've also read others advising against it and preferring to flush with a low nute solution. I think flushing soil with plain ph adjusted water should be okay and helps flush out salt build up, but you'll get a better idea if you manage to get a meter. I paid less than £10. My EC going in was 0.9, but it came out as 1.7, which is way too high and apparently signifies salt build up. Those meters are def worth the money
mine also felt/looked papery, dry, I don't know..all I did was give slight feeding and they look better..same temps and humidity..btw im not 'controlling' either one. Now its clear that the middle to upper plant is a 'healthy' green colour..the lower plant, im not sure..especially the widow..has funny yellow marks on some lower fan leaves. Im guessing it's ph issues as first 3 waterings, I added vinegar to lower the ph as my tap was over 8. The vinegar may have gotten unevenly distributed as it dried up in the soil and caused spots with an imbalance ph.
Yes, the meters are definitely worth it and needed to understand completely whats going on in the soil. otherwise its guesswork, and being a newbie, I don't want to guess through too much:)

Leaves finally looking more like they should:) That crispy or papery look is gone. I fed at slightly less than quarter strength last time..wondering if I should up it slightly in next watering, or wait until the watering after to give possibly final dose (may give final dose at quarter strength 2 waterings later with first flowering feed) of veg nute at half strength before starting flowering nute and molasses between flowering feeds.

Attachments

• Day 31 Tue.jpg
    Day 31 Tue.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Day 31 AK Tue.jpg
    Day 31 AK Tue.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 137
  • day 31 WW Tue.jpg
    day 31 WW Tue.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 155
Looking pretty good!!! I'd say continue feeding qtr strength every other watering and slowly increasing the nutes every week. I've heard they need more Calmag once they get into flower too. But that's just from me reading around on here lol. I'm still new, just tossing my $.02 in the pool lol. My lil NL is only a week or so old, so I'm excited to see what you guys can do! Keep up the good work!

Leaves finally looking more like they should:) That crispy or papery look is gone. I fed at slightly less than quarter strength last time..wondering if I should up it slightly in next watering, or wait until the watering after to give possibly final dose (may give final dose at quarter strength 2 waterings later with first flowering feed) of veg nute at half strength before starting flowering nute and molasses between flowering feeds.
Very nice!! They both look amazing!:slap:

Looking pretty good!!! I'd say continue feeding qtr strength every other watering and slowly increasing the nutes every week. I've heard they need more Calmag once they get into flower too. But that's just from me reading around on here lol. I'm still new, just tossing my $.02 in the pool lol. My lil NL is only a week or so old, so I'm excited to see what you guys can do! Keep up the good work!
Well there is no time really to slowly increase veg nutes:) Im in week 5 and this stage is done in I believe a week or 2 max, then full flower. I also am not watering more than twice a week right now, though I notice its drinking much more in the past week! So im thinking 2-3 more waterings, and im in flower. I may skip feed in next watering if lower fan leaves don't pale, then half strength, then water, then quarter strength veg (last dose) and quarter flower nute. As for cal/mag, I substitute with foliar spray for mag right now...foliar feeding of Epsom salts...and calcium i'll add egg shells to the foliar (crushed into powder and dissolved in water)..will also be adding a banana peel mix to the foliar for added goodies:) Calcium is generally quite abundant unless watering with RO water, im not too worried about calcium.
Very nice!! They both look amazing!:slap:
Thank you very much!:) I like the look of the AK..thats the top I was waiting for, it looks much nicer as its growing out and the canopy evens out:)

Well there is no time really to slowly increase veg nutes:) Im in week 5 and this stage is done in I believe a week or 2 max, then full flower. I also am not watering more than twice a week right now, though I notice its drinking much more in the past week! So im thinking 2-3 more waterings, and im in flower. I may skip feed in next watering if lower fan leaves don't pale, then half strength, then water, then quarter strength veg (last dose) and quarter flower nute. As for cal/mag, I substitute with foliar spray for mag right now...foliar feeding of Epsom salts...and calcium i'll add egg shells to the foliar (crushed into powder and dissolved in water)..will also be adding a banana peel mix to the foliar for added goodies:) Calcium is generally quite abundant unless watering with RO water, im not too worried about calcium.

Thank you very much!:) I like the look of the AK..thats the top I was waiting for, it looks much nicer as its growing out and the canopy evens out:)
Oh no I meant for flower lol. I didn't know if you were worried about over doing it with the flower nutes. But hell it sounds like you got this lol! I'll just sit back and learn a thing or two.[emoji106] [emoji111]

I will worry to over do it with flowering nutes lol..after my first feed 2 weeks ago at 1ml was enough to give the widow the claw, but stopped there at least..so I was scared to add again but they needed it by this weekend! I'll be adding molasses between feedings during flower..so not sure how much flowering nute it will need. Less is more;) I learn more everyday, whatever I know is just a collection of other's knowledge on the subject:) Flowering will be a different game I haven't quite gotten into yet:) All I know for now, is my foliar feeding will have to stop during flowering to avoid bigger issues:) Thanks for vote of confidence!!!:)

I will worry to over do it with flowering nutes lol..after my first feed 2 weeks ago at 1ml was enough to give the widow the claw, but stopped there at least..so I was scared to add again but they needed it by this weekend! I'll be adding molasses between feedings during flower..so not sure how much flowering nute it will need. Less is more;) I learn more everyday, whatever I know is just a collection of other's knowledge on the subject:) Flowering will be a different game I haven't quite gotten into yet:) All I know for now, is my foliar feeding will have to stop during flowering to avoid bigger issues:) Thanks for vote of confidence!!!:)
You're doing great man! I agree, I've learned more from this place than I have anywhere else combined. I had a couple leaves do the claw, but I didn't know that's what caused it haha. Thanks! (But I didn't have a schedule or anything I was winging it all lol.) It sounds like your girls are starting to get hungry and you are on the right track though. Looking forward to seeing what they'll do for ya!

@comet79 They're looking great and I think your cautious appraoch to nutes is good

Day 32, no change, plants are growing and looking healthy. I know the widow has irregular yellow patching...3 of those are from me damaging it by touching the leaf and while rotating container, I believe the others are prior ph issues...I think the vinegar was a no-no in first 2 main waterings. New growth is fine and widow hasn't reacted negatively this time to its feed on sunday:) Adjusted some ties and added 2 on the Ak this morning. Trying to get all the tops I can fast!:) Its why im anxious to start a 'regular' seed, I can make into something great without worrying about a 'time limit' to get it done:)

Attachments

• Day 32 Wed.jpg
    Day 32 Wed.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Day 32 AK Wed.jpg
    Day 32 AK Wed.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Day 32 WW Wed.jpg
    Day 32 WW Wed.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back