Indoor First grow 23w cfl's, Ak47 and White widow

Contrary to what many say, cfl's do produce heat..and while not uncomfortable to the hand, if the lights were an inch or two above like many say..it would dry out the top I think. Constant heat radiating from 2 inches away, 18 hours a day with a fan blowing on it..not much moisture happening then:)

Contrary to what many say, cfl's do produce heat..and while not uncomfortable to the hand, if the lights were an inch or two above like many say..it would dry out the top I think. Constant heat radiating from 2 inches away, 18 hours a day with a fan blowing on it..not much moisture happening then:)
Oh absolutely! CFLs definitely produce heat!

Mine are only 23 watts, but 8 of them in a small area, and mine is 'open', with mylar around it, it gets quite warm even with the fan, and temps indoors are low to mid 70's for over a week now.

They look good!!! I've seen a lot of people talk about doing a flush around the 5th week, but that might have to do with their medium. I know it's when they switch to flowering though. And when a lot of people start seeing the cal/mag issues. I'm only at the end of week 3 on my grow, so I'm not quite there yet. I've seen some really nice grows with CFLs!!!

I heard some people flushing too for flowering..i guess to rid previous salts/feeds so it has a 'clean' start for flowering? Being I only gave 2 tiny feedings, and always water to runoff..i don't think i'll be flushing. I need to get a tds meter to measure the ppm's in and out, I guess that would answer if a flush is needed. Though im not familiar with the numbers I'd be looking for:) I'll get there when i get the meter:) Yes, ive seen nice grows with cfl's as well. It may not be as great as with better lights, but if set up properly and enough of them, and plant is lst'd, it can produce a decent amout, even for auto's ive seen people get 2-3 ounces with cfl's..I'd be good with that for an auto:)

So to change the timing of pics..this is how they look through the day..this is 4 hours after lights on:)

Attachments

• Day 31 AK.jpg
    Day 31 AK.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Day 31 (2) AK.jpg
    Day 31 (2) AK.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 141
  • day 31 WW.jpg
    day 31 WW.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 152
  • day 31 WW (2).jpg
    day 31 WW (2).jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 136
I heard some people flushing too for flowering..i guess to rid previous salts/feeds so it has a 'clean' start for flowering? Being I only gave 2 tiny feedings, and always water to runoff..i don't think i'll be flushing. I need to get a tds meter to measure the ppm's in and out, I guess that would answer if a flush is needed. Though im not familiar with the numbers I'd be looking for:) I'll get there when i get the meter:) Yes, ive seen nice grows with cfl's as well. It may not be as great as with better lights, but if set up properly and enough of them, and plant is lst'd, it can produce a decent amout, even for auto's ive seen people get 2-3 ounces with cfl's..I'd be good with that for an auto:)
Me too! Although more make me happier :woohoo:. Did you decide to cut back on light time? They looked happy last night!

Yes this Ak may not be that strong..around 14% according to rqs. The WW is stronger. Oddly mine don't have an odour either...I think it may be too hot or not humid enough, the leaves, according to inexperienced me lol, seem kind of dry or papery a bit. Doesn't have that gloss or 'vitality' that I see in plants..though leaves are all green (only) and relatively rigid, but no smell. I know I have a slight ph problem with my soil..its too high. The white widow was growing slightly slower from the start compared to the AK, but the leaves are much bigger on them and a bit darker. I like how the ak is growing..nice spacing to get light in, easy to lst and I can see it producing higher yield..white widow I don't know..so bushy and like I read, a finicky plant! lol Hopefully I can lst it better as the branches grow out.
I've just been reading through your journal. Your plants look very healthy. I've also noticed the leaves on my northern lights feel papery, strange. My Ph is okay, but maybe they've been getting too many nutes. I read somewhere that to lower the ph of run off, it helps to flush through a lower Ph. I'm growing in coco, so not sure if this applies to soil too. My oldest N/l is 36days old and she is sooo small and bushy, I can't see the stalk. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your grow

I bought a TDS meter last week and realised I was feeding my babies 3 x more nutes than I should. My trouble is a high EC of tap water, so it leaves little room for adding nutes that might help growth. I've read of people flushing plants too, just before full flower stage, but then I've also read others advising against it and preferring to flush with a low nute solution. I think flushing soil with plain ph adjusted water should be okay and helps flush out salt build up, but you'll get a better idea if you manage to get a meter. I paid less than £10. My EC going in was 0.9, but it came out as 1.7, which is way too high and apparently signifies salt build up. Those meters are def worth the money

Me too! Although more make me happier :woohoo:. Did you decide to cut back on light time? They looked happy last night!
Because of how they looked last night and even now..i will keep it at 18/6..all I did was bump it by one hour..so lights out at midnight rather than 1am and lights on at 6am rather than 7am. I noticed by 7am that my place isn't completely dark at this time of year..so id rather give them an extra hour of darker time:)

Back