Indoor Down the KNF Rabbit Hole

Durban Sunrise pt2 Day 1
Since I already have a box going with 2 DS in it, I'm going to try 1 in one big box. It's been a bit of a pain running 2 gals to a box and where they get so crowded, I'm not sure I'm really getting that much more- if any.
Seems I've been getting a number of small seeds lately and just getting them going has been painful. The pack of Durbans I got are mostly good size and even good color.
I put 1 in water for 24 hrs, then coffee filter for 2 days and voila! This is how I like to seeds germ. About 3/4" taproot and shell is nicely opened.

View attachment 1389546

View attachment 1389547

All for now
D

@Twenty20 Adam
Nice!
looking forward to watching your journey!

Durban Sunrise Day 49
Durban Sunrise Day 49
They just blew up. The 2 plants look like one big one. Went from a gal of water a week to 2. Think I'm going to wrestle her out into my open space so she can spread out some. Getting in to trim them is a bit of a pita. They have started to flower so I've added the Full Bloom Extract and Water Soluble Calcium to the mix as well as Homegrown Bokashi Bloom mix.
The size of the leaves on all the Twenty20 gals have been--impressive. Got a feeling when I trim these they are going to be like a sheepdog with its summer cut.

FE5UkvVoGZdYNqpfnIF-Ug53X5wGefocuKNQigEKYP59OAGqvVxzk2qUcRyUxPe9_erCk_WI9fk90r3M44mAWdgW8BhXNLbDtogkOSVqbQG0ccvqJpSp5PKAMMP8Yw

All for now
D

Durban Sunrise Day 54
Durban Sunrise Day 54
Hands up! What more do I need to say? A pic is worth a 1000 words

20211207_DurbSun_1655 copy.jpg

Other than I got to get on the maid about cleaning the mirrors.
And they are sprouting some buds. I moved them out of the tight space so they can catch some more light and they're diggin it. Gave em a gallon of tea today from BAS Buildaflower, Craft Blend, Buildabloom and TM7. Not that they seem to need it. Just like to change thing up a bit
All for now
D

Durban Sunrise Day 54
Hands up! What more do I need to say? A pic is worth a 1000 words

View attachment 1395117

Other than I got to get on the maid about cleaning the mirrors.
And they are sprouting some buds. I moved them out of the tight space so they can catch some more light and they're diggin it. Gave em a gallon of tea today from BAS Buildaflower, Craft Blend, Buildabloom and TM7. Not that they seem to need it. Just like to change thing up a bit
All for now
D
Nice!!!!! I prolly should have bought some Buildaflower and Buildabloom in my order, but I have enough FFJ to last a VERY long while! LOL!
How are they and do you like it?

Nice!!!!! I prolly should have bought some Buildaflower and Buildabloom in my order, but I have enough FFJ to last a VERY long while! LOL!
How are they and do you like it?
When I first moved to soil, I used all their stuff and I liked it but thought it pretty pricey. Then I switched to Homegrown Microbe Bokashi. I loved the product and the price but kept having yellowing issues in bloom and couldn't seem to get it fixed. The stems were twice as thick as anything else. Then I went to the knf and haven't really had any issues with it except veg in autoflowers seems to take awhile to get going.
I still have a bunch of BAS and HMB so I throw some into the mix to add some diversity. Heck, I got tired of eating burgers everyday. When I was using those products, I was in smaller boxes. Now I'm using bigger boxes, I may give BAS another look but just use the products Jeremy's been using in vids. I think there a lot to be said for the bigger pots etc are more forgiving when it comes to nutes as they can store what they don't need at the moment but have it readily available when they do.

When I first moved to soil, I used all their stuff and I liked it but thought it pretty pricey. Then I switched to Homegrown Microbe Bokashi. I loved the product and the price but kept having yellowing issues in bloom and couldn't seem to get it fixed. The stems were twice as thick as anything else. Then I went to the knf and haven't really had any issues with it except veg in autoflowers seems to take awhile to get going.
I still have a bunch of BAS and HMB so I throw some into the mix to add some diversity. Heck, I got tired of eating burgers everyday. When I was using those products, I was in smaller boxes. Now I'm using bigger boxes, I may give BAS another look but just use the products Jeremy's been using in vids. I think there a lot to be said for the bigger pots etc are more forgiving when it comes to nutes as they can store what they don't need at the moment but have it readily available when they do.
Yeah, I tend to think they are a bit pricey, especially with the shipping. So far, the CraftBlend has worked well. I've used it to re-amend after a grow and let it cook in a tote on the back porch. I have a ranch style home with a wrap around porch on three sides, so I have lots of porch to store totes high N dry. I have about 130-140 gal cooking with most being composed of Roots Organics Original. I use the Roots plain to start my seeds. Not too hot for young seedlings and actually performs very well thru veg.
When I make compost tea, I take the left over and spray any tote that can use moisture. I turn them every couple of weeks.
I bought a big bag of their pumice and used it in this current run. I'm pretty sure I need to get more of it and up the ratio. Sure wish I could get it locally.
I bought some of their Blue Gold Flower at a 1/4 rate as a back-up to the FFJ and another source of micro nutes and variety. I think it's helpful.
I'm ordering two EB Jrs today to see how well they can work with the liquid knf nutes. They will be a little bit more difficult to walk the line of keeping nutes out of the rez, but I think I can manage it. I REALLY think keeping the nutes out of the rez and keeping the two root systems separated in their 'duties'i s key to letting the plant choose what nutes it wants from top dressing and the media, instead of having VPD driving the nute uptake.
One key point I came up with in my mind that Jeremy confirmed, if you see the feeding roots break the top surface of the media, you are running behind your girl's needs. With organics, you know you need to always be ahead of your plant's needs with your amendments in order to give your 'helpers' to make the nutes available. I use my compost to either make a slurry with the liquid KNF nutes or spray on top of the mounded compost. Later in the grow is when I'm able to just spray the top with the KNF, with either method, I mix the nutes at a much higher rate than recommended, but the end result is the same amount of nutes being applied. In a regular conventional pot, this method would surely fry the plant. I used this method with the outdoor Asian Haze this summer and the current Meph girl. No problems whatsoever!!!
I would say that does prove Jeremy's theory that EarthBox girls do develop two root systems that mainly have separate functions.

If I can manage to do this with the Jrs, I'll one or two more to fill the 4x4 and EB's will become my mainstay for growing my and my fellow Vet friends med needs.

Too bad I didn't know all of this in my first run in EBs with HBSS! I was able to work thru the issues reasonably well and had a very good end result. If I grew another HBSS today, I have no doubt that I could pull a pound plus from an EB.....especially with the SP6500!
Sorry for the long post, but if you or others can find something useful for growing or helps spur other ideas, I think it's worth it!
Keep up your good work! Your girls are very happy!!!

Yeah, I tend to think they are a bit pricey, especially with the shipping. So far, the CraftBlend has worked well. I've used it to re-amend after a grow and let it cook in a tote on the back porch. I have a ranch style home with a wrap around porch on three sides, so I have lots of porch to store totes high N dry. I have about 130-140 gal cooking with most being composed of Roots Organics Original. I use the Roots plain to start my seeds. Not too hot for young seedlings and actually performs very well thru veg.
When I make compost tea, I take the left over and spray any tote that can use moisture. I turn them every couple of weeks.
I bought a big bag of their pumice and used it in this current run. I'm pretty sure I need to get more of it and up the ratio. Sure wish I could get it locally.
I bought some of their Blue Gold Flower at a 1/4 rate as a back-up to the FFJ and another source of micro nutes and variety. I think it's helpful.
I'm ordering two EB Jrs today to see how well they can work with the liquid knf nutes. They will be a little bit more difficult to walk the line of keeping nutes out of the rez, but I think I can manage it. I REALLY think keeping the nutes out of the rez and keeping the two root systems separated in their 'duties'i s key to letting the plant choose what nutes it wants from top dressing and the media, instead of having VPD driving the nute uptake.
One key point I came up with in my mind that Jeremy confirmed, if you see the feeding roots break the top surface of the media, you are running behind your girl's needs. With organics, you know you need to always be ahead of your plant's needs with your amendments in order to give your 'helpers' to make the nutes available. I use my compost to either make a slurry with the liquid KNF nutes or spray on top of the mounded compost. Later in the grow is when I'm able to just spray the top with the KNF, with either method, I mix the nutes at a much higher rate than recommended, but the end result is the same amount of nutes being applied. In a regular conventional pot, this method would surely fry the plant. I used this method with the outdoor Asian Haze this summer and the current Meph girl. No problems whatsoever!!!
I would say that does prove Jeremy's theory that EarthBox girls do develop two root systems that mainly have separate functions.

If I can manage to do this with the Jrs, I'll one or two more to fill the 4x4 and EB's will become my mainstay for growing my and my fellow Vet friends med needs.

Too bad I didn't know all of this in my first run in EBs with HBSS! I was able to work thru the issues reasonably well and had a very good end result. If I grew another HBSS today, I have no doubt that I could pull a pound plus from an EB.....especially with the SP6500!
Sorry for the long post, but if you or others can find something useful for growing or helps spur other ideas, I think it's worth it!
Keep up your good work! Your girls are very happy!!!
Funny, for me, my post was like a book. :rofl: I'm more of a listener than a talker.
I pretty much stay with filling the rez. I just keep having bug issues when I feed from the top. Damn Flo. That's why I stopped direct planting. I had a tiny seedling disappear overnight! I suppose I could use yellow stickies instead of a cover.
I see the top dressing as more maintenance for the soil. I think of the eb more like these "dry" farmers that live close to waterways and don't water their plants.
Somebody said-If you see an issue with your plants, you're already 2 weeks late. I think that's especially true with autos and why I start feeding them 3/4 strength full regimen right from the start. I suppose some of the runts might not like it but heck, may as well get rid of the weak links asap.

The Durban Sunrise Krew
Been so long since I've updated, figured I just group em together.
The big boxers are at day 68 and starting to look stunning. All leaves and buds on the right side have got a nice purple/black hue to them.
They keep on praying.

20211221_0030-Durban copy.jpg

20211221_0027-Durban copy.jpg

The bigger girl is day 22. She's been topped and being stretched to fill the box. Despite the lighter color, leaves are all up. This seems to be the way this line runs- they'll darken up with time.( at least for me). Looking forward to see what she does being in a big box by herself.

The little one started out in a solo cup and was pretty much a runt. Wasn't sure she was going to make it but I checked her roots and they were coming out the bottom so I put her in the gallon bag and now she's coming around.

20211221_0039-DurbSun copy.jpg

This is my first serious attempt at a bonsai. IDK, she's got to be about 2 months old.
Buds and leaves are turning the same purple/black color
My next effort may be a regular fem so I can let her veg longer/grow bigger

20211221_0059-DurbSun copy.jpg

I think I'm all caught up

All for now
D
@Twenty20 Adam

Been so long since I've updated, figured I just group em together.
The big boxers are at day 68 and starting to look stunning. All leaves and buds on the right side have got a nice purple/black hue to them.
They keep on praying.

View attachment 1399944

View attachment 1399945
The bigger girl is day 22. She's been topped and being stretched to fill the box. Despite the lighter color, leaves are all up. This seems to be the way this line runs- they'll darken up with time.( at least for me). Looking forward to see what she does being in a big box by herself.

The little one started out in a solo cup and was pretty much a runt. Wasn't sure she was going to make it but I checked her roots and they were coming out the bottom so I put her in the gallon bag and now she's coming around.

View attachment 1399946

This is my first serious attempt at a bonsai. IDK, she's got to be about 2 months old.
Buds and leaves are turning the same purple/black color
My next effort may be a regular fem so I can let her veg longer/grow bigger

View attachment 1399948
I think I'm all caught up

All for now
D
@Twenty20 Adam
Awesome!!

Happy Birthdaymas
Put this FB Green Crack in water on 22
Put her in coffee filter 23
1/2" tail 24th am. Put her in solo cup. 6 hrs later, seed had cracked.
This morning---Happy Birthdaymas

Attachments

• 20211224_greenCrack_0089 copy.jpg
    20211224_greenCrack_0089 copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Back