Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

A combo to die for

A508229E-59E8-4A87-8825-0D3AFA5922B5.jpeg

871BD213-9663-4BB8-99B1-9C3CC6E80D23.jpeg

27BF5030-11A4-4F50-ADB6-D88206712669.jpeg

F6CA183D-7FAA-4927-86AB-0F941A5B8BE6.jpeg

7177D5AF-5699-48F9-99CC-D6A25CF25476.jpeg

2F6011FE-2AC7-448A-9882-FC2E825D7BB2.jpeg

I will get a picture of the root mound tonight. I usually get a good clump but I now have big white roots growing up surrounding the blumat waterline.

Sustainable village posted some pics of this like it was a good thing but I would think it’s best to have the roots spread throughout the pot. Not sure if anyone has input on this?

Another thing is one plant up front did get a little discoloring down low. I slid the plants around a bit to space them out and when doing so I pinched a line. I noticed it 12 hours later and the pot was very light. I opened the hand water line and filled it up as quick as I could. It seems to me these things are on a fast drip of crack. Since I used to go 36 hours between waterings I was surprised to see this.

@BigSm0 what does the root ball look like when u take it out. Does it fill the pot and just get more dense in that area or just concentrated in that area without much spread throughout the pot. Either way your plants always look great and grow at a good clip.

@BigSm0 what does the root ball look like when u take it out. Does it fill the pot and just get more dense in that area or just concentrated in that area without much spread throughout the pot. Either way your plants always look great and grow at a good clip.
Usually they spread out but the blumats do tend to clump them up. They grow much thicker and bigger though. I should try a smaller pot since they do clump. The whole bottom is a waste.

For 5 sq’ I would run a maximum of 2 cobs in there. 3500’s don’t cause much stretch unless they are very far away. I haven’t had any problems with them doing anything other than give results I prefer. The 3k does have a little less blue which could theoretically cause a bit more stretch but I haven’t seen it myself. Not much interest in them for some reason. I’m happy with them. If I were to build new lights for my space I’d go with all 3500’s and a few 3000’s for supplemental but only turn them on in mid to late flower.

You said the 3000 has LESS blue which would cause MORE stretch, isn't that backwards? Yes to less blue, but traditional veg under higher kelvin ratings usually means more blue and more stretch rather than less? Or am I confusing nanometer ratings with degrees Kelvin?
Do you see any issue with me starting veg under a single 3500 COB, then adding a second 3000 COB when switching to bloom?
I didn't see an option to specify any color ratings
under your 3X3 Tent Special 4 COB Kit; c
an I do that and add (4) Angelina reflectors? If so I'll go online and order next week (traveling this week).

Last edited:
You said the 3000 has LESS blue which would cause MORE stretch, isn't that backwards? Yes to less blue, but traditional veg under higher kelvin ratings usually means more blue and more stretch rather than less? Or am I confusing nanometer ratings with degrees Kelvin?
Do you see any issue with me starting veg under a single 3500 COB, then adding a second 3000 COB when switching to bloom?
I didn't see an option to specify any color ratings
under your 3X3 Tent Special 4 COB Kit; c
an I do that and add (4) Angelina reflectors? If so I'll go online and order next week (traveling this week).

Higher nm (nanometer) is opposite of higher cct- (correlated color temp).

Each light source has its own cct. When you mix colors there isn’t a standard cct anymore so they use a spectrometer to give the actual spectrum.

The higher the nm the more stretch, the lower the cct the more stretch. As far as the 3500k goes it is a great mix of red and blue. Actually up to 2 times as much red and blue per watt over regular leds. It’s a hard thing to grasp initially. To make it easier consider the sun. It’s white-ish but it is ideal and what lights spectrum is based around. Led companies decided to take away certain colors thinking it would increase spectral efficiency but it’s not working out well. Plants prefer a full spectrum like the sun.

I have vegged under the 3000k - flower light and flowered under the 6500k - veg light and didn’t notice any difference or extreme stretch with either of the two. Spectrum is not nearly as important as most people think. It does help and that’s why I offer different temps but it is completely unnecessary for good growth.

10-16 inches and green as can be. Going to add reflectors on a few and see how they do. Yes I am excited.

Just spoke to Christian over at greenleaf. With a sales team in the thousands try sending someone at advanced nutrients a message. It’s so nice to buy local and get the support if you need it. He is a genius. Nothing short of a miracle

Dropping some cosmic queen and samsquanch/hbbs this weekend. It’s about to get serious in here.
B81A2728-1E12-410E-82F5-800D42130812.jpeg

B869D780-D246-42B4-94D3-B01E2A9898B3.jpeg

EAE2D124-3335-4EE6-87CB-705721EF1951.jpeg

What is it that’s allowing u to lower your lights. I’m guessing thoughts r the MC you’ve been using. Adding extra calmag too?? I’ve had to up my calmag during flower but that’s it. I’ll have to go check my light distance.

Back